User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join In the First Annual SBOA Century

Attencion Fifty Plusers (50+rs)

Perhaps some of you remember the classic Bob and Ray sketches, "Slow . . . .Tal . . kers . . . . of . . . .A . . me . . ri . . .ca" - the STOA? They drove you nuts!

I want to do a century this summer for the Slow Bikers of America. This would be in the Denver area and would utilize our wonderful trail system, for an easy, relaxed, "your total time must average 10 mph or slower" ride.

I can plot out a wonderful ride including Chatfield, the Platte River Trail, the Cherry Creek Trail, going north from Chatfield to 104th and back that would equal 100 very scenic miles. No cars, and on a weekday, few people. Lots of places to stop and relax. Several restrooms along the way.

Because of medical problems I haven't been able to go a full 100 miles the past few years, but I would like to do that again. But I have no desire to go out and "race" in a Century with 1000's of other folks who want to see how fast they can finish.

And spouses would be welcome. While my wife can't do the 100, she would love to ride with us for about 20 miles, then return.

Would you like to spend a few days in Denver and the Rocky Mountains? We also have GORGEOUS mountain trail systems nearby, and it could be a cycling adventure for you.

We could have an "after" dinner at my house or a restaurant, and do other fun things.

We could get a "SBOA" t shirt

Any takers?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-27-05 at 08:33 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested, if I can get there. My schedule is pretty self-moderated, so it's a good possibility, and I have other friends in the area I could visit as well. So, yeah! Count me in as a strong maybe!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm not one of the 50+ group, I'd be up for it!
    Higher ground for the apocalypse!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lala
    Although I'm not one of the 50+ group, I'd be up for it!
    Yes!!

It is open to all!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I would be interested, if I can get there. My schedule is pretty self-moderated, so it's a good possibility, and I have other friends in the area I could visit as well. So, yeah! Count me in as a strong maybe!
    Pack your bags!

My Bikes
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to give it a try. Hopefully work won't interfere.

Sounds like it will be a reasonably flat ride to make it easier.
    Will have to make sure my bike & I are in shape for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great.

Look forward to your being able to join us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good map of the MAJOR trails in the Denver Metro Trail System (there a many smaller trails not shown):

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-27-05 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recalculate things, we likely need to average about 12 mph to make this possible.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific idea!! I don't know if I'll be able to do it but anything that appeals to the larger group sounds fantastic. You have the ideal area for doing something like that plus a wonderful trail system to boot.

If you were paid for all your great ideas you'd be investing Buffet's money!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Terrific idea!! I don't know if I'll be able to do it but anything that appeals to the larger group sounds fantastic. You have the ideal area for doing something like that plus a wonderful trail system to boot.

If you were paid for all your great ideas you'd be investing Buffet's money!!
    Accepting checks at any time.

It really could be someone's great vacation.

2-3 nights in Denver getting acclimated and riding our many trails and doing the SBOA century.

2-3 nights in a condo (they are very cheap in the summer) in Breck, Silverthorne, Vail or Keystone riding the mtn excellent trails, hiking and/or seeing all the sights.

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fox, just let me know when it's gona happen, I'll be there! Sounds like a lot of FUN!!

E-mail: bjoondo@gmail.com
    Cellphone: 719-232-7129
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If each of the following persons would contact me directly at

DnvrFox@aol.com

from your preferred email address, it will assist me greatly in setting up a group email list on my browser. I would appreciate this even if you have already posted your email here. Thanks. We have more than ten folks interested at this time from a variety of sources.

Digital Gee
    lala
    gps_dr
    jppe
    BJ Ondo

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just sent an email.

Depending on schedule etc, I may be interested.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tentative date:

Saturday, June 17, 2006
    7:30 am
    RTD Park and Ride Mineral and Santa Fe

Route to be figured out later.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-30-05 at 04:06 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Tentative date:

Saturday, June 17, 2005

Err?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Err?
    No. Sorry you missed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tentative date:

Saturday, June 17, 2006

This sounds like fun. I'd be interested in coming down all the way from Ft. Collins for this

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell
    This sounds like fun. I'd be interested in coming down all the way from Ft. Collins for this

Nick
    Send an email to dnvrfox@aol.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay!!

Enough Already

We already have 16 folks interested. If even 50% can really join us, we have enough folks right now. I don't want to pass the new Colorado limit. No, really. 6-8 folks is about big enough for this activity.

Thanks for all the interest and positive responses.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I feel like I just missed an invitation to the Presidential Inaugural or something?
    Dnvr, in the interests of geographic equal opportunity, you're going to have to sponsor rides in all regions....its the BF 50+ thing to do.

Seriously, I'm envious as hell at the idea of pooping along at 12 mph (secretly thinking "glad that's all maybe I can make it") with such nice people and having a fine day of conversation. And I wouldn't stick my pump in anybody's spokes for laughs either.

Hope it all works out for you guys. (DG, don't take your new bike...might get a scratch!)
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Why do I feel like I just missed an invitation to the Presidential Inaugural or something?
    Dnvr, in the interests of geographic equal opportunity, you're going to have to sponsor rides in all regions....its the BF 50+ thing to do.

Seriously, I'm envious as hell at the idea of pooping along at 12 mph (secretly thinking "glad that's all maybe I can make it") with such nice people and having a fine day of conversation. And I wouldn't stick my pump in anybody's spokes for laughs either.

Hope it all works out for you guys. (DG, don't take your new bike...might get a scratch!)
    I find leading group rides of 6-8 fun. Much more becomes a pain.

To me, as the size of the group doubles, the potential problems quadruple - an exponential relationship.

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good map of the MAJOR trails in the Denver Metro Trail System (there a many smaller trails not shown):

I highly recommend including the Ralston Creek Trail as part of your ride if it works for you. It's a pretty trail, especially at the western end near Route 93 -- reservoirs, Canada geese, prairie dogs, hawks -- I ride it 4 times a week and never tire of the scenery.

One thing you might think about are the effects of altitude. Some, if not most, of the riders will be coming from lower elevations. Just a thought.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshapiro
    I highly recommend including the Ralston Creek Trail as part of your ride if it works for you. It's a pretty trail, especially at the western end near Route 93 -- reservoirs, Canada geese, prairie dogs, hawks -- I ride it 4 times a week and never tire of the scenery.

One thing you might think about are the effects of altitude. Some, if not most, of the riders will be coming from lower elevations. Just a thought.

Jim
    Really?

I have ridden it a couple of times from the CC Trail north west, (over that amazing bridge) and it seemed to me like it really had a lot of street intersections, and wanderings through busy parks. Did I miss something or take a wrong turn?

Also, we are going to keep it level, and it seems as if there are only two possible folks from out-of-town, both only about 30% possibilities.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-01-05 at 08:42 AM.

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really?

I have ridden it a couple of times from the CC Trail north west, (over that amazing bridge) and it seemed to me like it really had a lot of street intersections, and wanderings through busy parks. Did I miss something or take a wrong turn?

Also, we are going to keep it level, and it seems as if there are only two possible folks from out-of-town, both only about 30% possibilities.
    I used to ride the section of the Ralston trail (including that neat bridge in the middle of nowhere) you're talking about and I agree with your observation. Now I start west of Indiana (just north of 64th Street). Going west, this part of the trail meanders through a golf course, then does a long and steady climb over a couple of wooden bridges and peaks with a wonderful view of Denver, the Foothills, and the Arvada Water Treatment Reservoir. Continuing west, the downhill is switchbacked (hang on to your helmet, here). The pavement ends around 64th and Route 93 and there is a sign announcing the beginning of the Fairmount Trail. I have always ridden a road bike, so I can't say much about the Fairmount section, but the scenery in this part of town, near Table Mountain, is gorgeous.

Jim
    Last edited by jimshapiro; 12-02-05 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast