Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another clipless question

    Yes another clipless question to be hashed over.I walk with one foot splayed out to one side by about 30 degrees,it's genetic passed down by my great to the umpteenth grandfather to all of his male decendents. Thanks Grandpa. Now I am in the process of having a touring bike built for me and need to find a clipless system that will not cause me to many problems to use. I notice that when I ride using platforms that my foot is turned out so having my foot fixed in straight ahead would probably cause me grief in the long run (pedal). So what system would the great minds on this page recommend? Thanks for your comments.

  2. #2
    Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Posts
    1,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other more knowledgable posters will soon chime in, but you might consider Speedplays. They offer a very wide range (some almost 30 degrees of very loosey goosey "float" so your foot can find and keep a more natural-to-you angle. As a tourer, you may not like walking around on cleats...so consider SPD's. Finally, for about $20 or so dollars, Power Grips attached to your platform pedals might give you the freedom of movement you want--and adequate-for-touring attachment to the pedal.

    Some user comments on Power Grips: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_87805.shtml
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches
    .

  3. #3
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to think about is Kneesavers to prevent you from hitting your ankle against the crank arm.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because you are splay-footed does not mean that your knees are crooked. It means your ankle and foot are shaped a little peculiar. Almost everyone with splay feet has fewer knee problems on a bike with their feet facing straight forward.

  5. #5
    Senior Member RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Laramie Wyoming
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Other more knowledgable posters will soon chime in, but you might consider Speedplays. They offer a very wide range (some almost 30 degrees of very loosey goosey "float" so your foot can find and keep a more natural-to-you angle. As a tourer, you may not like walking around on cleats...so consider SPD's. Finally, for about $20 or so dollars, Power Grips attached to your platform pedals might give you the freedom of movement you want--and adequate-for-touring attachment to the pedal.

    Some user comments on Power Grips: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_87805.shtml
    Just be aware that there are two types of Speedplays for road bikes; named Zero and X Series. One (X series) has the virtually unlimited range of motion talked about above and the other has adjustable "float" to a maximum of 15 degrees. Each type comes in three price levels depending on material used in the pedal. I have used Speedplays (X) for nearly 10 years and really like them. Be advised that if you get the X Series, on the first few rides they will seem a bit goosey as you will probably not be used to so much float. But soon you will get used to it and, I think, love it. And you can get cleat covers to protect them while you are walking around.

  6. #6
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Posts
    3,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    ...Almost everyone with splay feet has fewer knee problems on a bike with their feet facing straight forward.
    I must (again!) be the exception. My toes naturally splay out and having my feet face straight forward (via clips or clipless) is uncomfortable to both my ankles and my knees. Might I ask where you got this info? (I'm not trying to be confrontational - I'm just curious). Thanks!

  7. #7
    Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Posts
    1,381
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
    Yes another clipless question to be hashed over.I walk with one foot splayed out to one side by about 30 degrees,it's genetic passed down by my great to the umpteenth grandfather to all of his male decendents. Thanks Grandpa. Now I am in the process of having a touring bike built for me and need to find a clipless system that will not cause me to many problems to use. I notice that when I ride using platforms that my foot is turned out so having my foot fixed in straight ahead would probably cause me grief in the long run (pedal). So what system would the great minds on this page recommend? Thanks for your comments.
    I have a similar problem, but it is both ankles and due to arthritis. I don't think the problem relates to the degree of float. There is no reason that you, or I, should need more float than anyone else. However, I think the important thing is to get the foot and the pedal in the proper relationship to one another. When you position your cleat on the shoe, it will have an angle that matches the 30 degrees that you mentioned. But, that will put your heel too close to the bike. Assuming that your legs are straight, your heel needs to be in the same place as folks with straight legs and feet. The ball of the foot needs to be further away from the bike to get the heel in the right place and prevent a forced inward rotation of your foot. I use the Pedal Axle Extension from High Sierra Cyclery http://www.hscycle.com/Pages/cantsandwedges.html This allows me to get the ball of my feet away from the bike, keeps me from having to rotate my feet inward and stop hitting the chain stays with my heels. The only hooker is that unless you get the extensions drilled out, you can't use clipless pedals that only have a hex socket for tightening and no wrench flats. For liability reasons I assume, the High Sierra folks are reluctant to do this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •