Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm switching my Romulus back to conventional bend bars...Nitto Noodles (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/) which have subtle, undulating curves, nice flats behind the 'hoods, moderate drop, angled tops, and are good, traditional bars.

So, I no longer need my Ritchey Pro anatomic bar and would gladly and freely send it to any 50Plusser (only 50Plussers...we're a fiercely tribal bunch, many of us being humble pensioners, etc.) who wants to try it and hopefully ride the dickens out of it. Just reimburse me for postage when you get it. If you don't like it, send it back and I'll find someone else to take it. Another 50Plusser and I did a very agreeable saddle swap during FarHorizon's short-lived swap thread. Consider this our new "Parts Share" thread. Well, as long as it lasts.

Particulars: 26mm clamp, 44cm wide ctr to ctr, black, few scratches that don't show. Pics below. Nice flat flats behind the hoods without a suicidal tilt that leaves your bar-ends almost vertical. After about 1K miles, my smallish hands still don't fit comfortably on the anatomic "bumps".

First email has it.

Blue Stars: Let me forgive you in advance (especially you Koffee -- who called us the "BenGay bunch") if you need to kabosh this thread....you're only doing your duty as you see it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    I'm switching my Romulus back to conventional bend bars...Nitto Noodles (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/) which have subtle, undulating curves, nice flats behind the 'hoods, moderate drop, angled tops, and are good, traditional bars.
    Great choice. I converted from Salsa Short & Shallow bars with 105 brifters to Nitto Noodles with Tektro brake levers and Shimano barcons, and I find this setup much more comfortable and better looking.
    ---

San Francisco, California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad to hear that you are switching to Noodles. My husband is getting a new stem & noodles for Xmas, I hope. Just as soon as the boat from Japan docks. I heard from Rivendell any day now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will fing that there is absolutely no advantage of the Nitto round bend. The section of bars that are folded in that complex bend aren't those EVER used by us old farts.

We ride the tops and the hoods and very occasionally the drops. We simply don't ride the bends which is normal for a racing cyclist in a fast peloton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=cyclintom]You will fing that there is absolutely no advantage of the Nitto round bend. The section of bars that are folded in that complex bend aren't those EVER used by us old farts.[QUOTE]

Tom, after reading your posts I'll bet you're being ironic. This old fart rides them (and every other part of the bar I can get my hands on) frequently during any ride not in-city...which is most of my riding. And I'll bet you do, too. The flare, angled tops, flat flats are subtle differences that I feel do make a difference-- especially after several miles. I've put in about 6K on my first Noodle, now going to my second.

**Setting my bars only an inch below my saddle's nose gives me full access to all positions.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll love the noodle bar. I finally gave up on the Mustache bar on my Atlantis and ordered a Noodle, and it's really nice (nothing wrong with the 'Stache, by the way, except that it doesn't have a position comparable to riding on the tops, hands near the stem, which is where I am most of the time on long rides. I put it on a singlespeed I use around town, and it's good for that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Velo....I've been riding a Noodle on another bike for 2 years. I also use a moustache bar on my commuter/dirt road bike where I'm more heads-up & less static...but I agree--just doesn't work for long rides as do drops where I can slightly change back angles for comfort without a big change in elbow flex.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=GrannyGear
    Tom, after reading your posts I'll bet you're being ironic. This old fart rides them (and every other part of the bar I can get my hands on) frequently during any ride not in-city...which is most of my riding. And I'll bet you do, too. The flare, angled tops, flat flats are subtle differences that I feel do make a difference-- especially after several miles. I've put in about 6K on my first Noodle, now going to my second.**Setting my bars only an inch below my saddle's nose gives me full access to all positions.[/QUOTE]

Get yourself a Tandem and act as stoker to a brainless Downhiller that only knows one speed and that is flat out. You only need one position on the bars and that is the one where you can hold on for grim death. I know I ride flat bars, but Bars ends offer a different position or two and are used on every ride. Only thing is that I ride where my hands put the rest of the body in with some comfort, and on a Tandem That is not with my face 2" from my pilots Butt. Perhaps a change of pilot is necessary , but I don't know any nubile 25 year olds of the opposite gender that can ride as fast as Stuart.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Noodle and absolutely hate the so called "anatomic" bars with their odd angles.

Hiracer
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like anatomical bars, and I use the drops about 35% of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ritchey Bar is spoken for and soon to be mailed. Thanks for your interest.

Ironically, more people were interested in buying or praising the Nitto Noodle than going anatomic for free.
    They're both good, functional bars...just depends on taste.

Wonder if I should give away that old red Team Cinzano Masi...........................................jk'ing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel
    Great choice. I converted from Salsa Short & Shallow bars with 105 brifters to Nitto Noodles with Tektro brake levers and Shimano barcons, and I find this setup much more comfortable and better looking.
    I'm glad to read that my opinions are strictly my own. While I actually prefer the short drop bars I could do without that wiggle-wobble stuff that everyone is adding to their bars lately.

Here's my observations re handlebars: In the "old days" the handlebars and saddles were almost at the same height. (http://www.prairiefuture.com/gallery/photos/merckx.jpg) Eddy Merckx wanted to get down flat on the bike for an aero advantage (BTW, most racers do this automatically as their strength increases since at higher speeds you can REALLY tell the difference.) So he requested a handlebar with deep drops.

The significant thing here is that today the TOPS are at the same height as Eddy's drops were due to the idiotic "threadless" (also known as "much cheaper") forks and most people now are riding much lower than racers were just 20 years ago.

So deep drops added to super low stem position adds up to severe neck pain in most people as they need to hyperextend their necks to look forward.

But because of these problems people only mount deep drop bars for looks and no one actually rides the drops except the unusual super flexible person. I'm sure we have thousands of those on the 50+ group.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    I'm glad to read that my opinions are strictly my own. While I actually prefer the short drop bars I could do without that wiggle-wobble stuff that everyone is adding to their bars lately.
    Here's my observations re handlebars: In the "old days" the handlebars and saddles were almost at the same height. (http://www.prairiefuture.com/gallery/photos/merckx.jpg) Eddy Merckx wanted to get down flat on the bike for an aero advantage (BTW, most racers do this automatically as their strength increases since at higher speeds you can REALLY tell the difference.) So he requested a handlebar with deep drops.
    The significant thing here is that today the TOPS are at the same height as Eddy's drops were due to the idiotic "threadless" (also known as "much cheaper") forks and most people now are riding much lower than racers were just 20 years ago.
    But because of these problems people only mount deep drop bars for looks and no one actually rides the drops except the unusual super flexible person. I'm sure we have thousands of those on the 50+ group.
    not sure where those observations might come from, but if its from noted racers, then it might be illusionary. You'd be hard pressed to find any pics of road racers from the 40s on roade with sadle and bars level (see coppi pic).
    That, of course doesn't alter that many rec/tourist/randonneur riders chose to have their bars and seats level or with hgher bars. I'm sure that at some time in Eddy's career he requested most everything. He was noted for costantly making positional (and equipment) changes both for added performance as well as his noted 'butt' problems...

Now, asthetically speaking, threadless in its currrent iterations is certainly less than 'pleasing' as compared to a nice quill setup, but on a tech side the whole thing is much simpler, lighter and easier to adjust. 'Cheaper'? Not knowing the aspects of manufacturing, I won;t guess - but on an end product materials and performance wise, hardly that. Overly expensive? Maybe, but shelling out some of the bucks for any of the new stuff seems ridiculous to me anyway.
    Position - if one goes to any of the larger bike companys' sites one see even their 'performance' road models shown either with the bars - saddles level or a very slight bar drop. With the ability to alter spacer height, stem angle and stem 'flip', there are as many possibilities as there were with the quill setup.
    You could almost say the manus. have outfoxed themselves because now they not only have to make SKUs based on stem length, but also have to add SKU variations based on stem angle - more inventory.
    But back to position. If one looks at today's road racers, they have adapted their riding style position for the newer road surfaces and commensurate racing styles, but in large are still very close to their counterparts from 30-40-50 years back. At least those who've had the benefit of proper coaching and fitting.
    As for who rides 'in the drops' on this forum - who cares. Some do, some like it, others don't.

Relating to 'problems' - on an average bimble down the local bike path I see a much higher percentage of 'problems' related to riding posture, on all age groups and especially women, than one of bar and saddle height.
    pics - Coppi, Kelly & Vino
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen
    not sure where those observations might come from, but if its from noted racers, then it might be illusionary.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/road/madonessl.jsp
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/C...del-6PC2C.html
    http://www.albabici.com/news/derosa/derosa-news-7.htm
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/WSL...ameColors.asp?
    http://www.serotta.com/pages/cda.html

Gee, that was hard.