Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: KURT Trainer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KURT Trainer

I am going to look at a Kurt trainer being offered at a v e r y good price and wanted to know
    if anyone has any tips regarding what to look out for.

LastPlace

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe a KURT is a fluid trainer. While I don't have a Kurt I have had a Performance adjustable fluid trainer for a year. I have about 500 miles on it with no problems. I understand they can leak so check for any oily residue around the seals on the fluid unit (metal part with fins near the floor, roughly the size of a nerf football). If you buy it be prepared for pure boredom. I watch action films on the VCR and clip along at about 20 mph for 45-60 minutes 4-5 times per week in the winter (unless I'l out snow shoeing). Good luck!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the kurt is supposed to be leak resistant because it uses magnetic coupling instead of an axle and seal.

The only thing I would say is to ensure that everything seems to function properly... Wheels clamp in OK, resistance unit adjusts properly, no squeaking...
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks folks. I bought the KURT and dis-assembled it and then re-assembled it.........twice,
    and then rode it. I can understand the comments about it being boring. And yes it is a fluid
    and yes it can leak, so I may have bought an old one but it was just over $100 and the
    doctor ordered me to lose weight so all is well. Thanks again.

LastPlace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have endured the exceedingly boring Kurt Kinetic for 2 years and, according to my bike computer, 1029 miles. Performs perfectly, not a hint of leaking, realistic resistance, and almost too quiet. It is currently 4 below zero (-24 wind chill) outside so my options are Kurt miles or nothing and noodle legs next spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrifty1,

Thanks. Mine may be an older unit since there is not a piece of plexiglass enclosing
    the oil and it was not leaking.......I just took it apart when I should have left it alone. I
    am going to e-mail KURT to see if I can get an approximate date of manufacture.

Also, this is my first trainer so I have no reference point for the sound levels. Thanks.

Strider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last Place,
    Mine does not have the plexiglass/lexan cover either. My frind just purchased one a few months ago and it doesn't have plexiglass/lexan. I think the transparent cover is only for the "sales/demo" to demonstrate/display the magnetic coupling.
    Happy "training".......

Gary

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need to learn about DVD/video training tapes.

Really.

Please see comments on the Indoor Trainer Support Group. (80 folks who support each other and learn from each other while doing indoor training).
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrifty1,

So that's why I couldn't find a washing machine with a clear plastic top.

LastPlace

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    You guys need to learn about DVD/video training tapes.

Really.
    Amen! I'd like to thank everyone here for pointing them out in the past. Been using 'em for about 3 weeks now, and they do make it easy to go an hour or so. Very challenging, and the time really flies.

Heading out tomorrow to pick up the "Tough Love" Spinerval. 3 hours of fun

Take care!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    Amen! I'd like to thank everyone here for pointing them out in the past. Been using 'em for about 3 weeks now, and they do make it easy to go an hour or so. Very challenging, and the time really flies.

Heading out tomorrow to pick up the "Tough Love" Spinerval. 3 hours of fun

Take care!

Steve

Great spinerval. Most will either really like it, or hate it.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy it be prepared for pure boredom.
    I have endured the exceedingly boring Kurt Kinetic for 2 years

OK, complainers.

I am taking a much needed rest break from the Spinerval, "No Slackers Left Behind."

I challenge you to:

1. Complete this Spinerval as coached by Coach Troy. That is - just finish it.

2. And see if you can be bored while you are doing this.

Go ahead, take my challenge.

[EDIT]

I just successfully completed, the "No Slackers Allowed" Spinerval tape. ANd I did it with class, although I did take a couple of longer breaks to be sure I had recovered.

Did the standing, spinning at above 140 rpm, etc.

Come on guys, get "unbored."
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-05 at 08:06 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kurt Kinetics makes a computer that measures watts.
    Very cool.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that Santa is bringing me a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Instead of training videos I plan to watch the dozens of unwatched DVDs I've accumulated. Also I can clean out the backlog of shows on the DVR.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    that is exactly what I did last winter. Very good exercise.
    But when spring came, I hit my first hill and blew up. Ended
    my first ride 15 min after it started. Call Spinervals, tell them you want a dvd from the Fitness series (assuming you don't compete)
    and tell them what you are doing. My guess is they will send you Sweating Buckets. I have 3 Spinervals. They are crudely produced, expensive for what you get, but they will give you one
    heck of a workout

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get plenty of hill work by climbing actual hills whenever I get a chance. I only want to ride indoors when time or weather make outdoor riding impossible. There are enough good days during a Georgia winter to keep me from getting too lazy. I'm just not cut out for following programs. If I need something to pump me up I'll watch last year's racing coverage.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the Spinervals, I have four and will buy more. The only one that bores me is the two-hour aerobic one designed for blue zone training. The others keep you pushing so much that you don't have time to be bored - at least not me. OK, maybe I do sometimes get a bit bored, but the feeling after doing it makes up for it.I do imagine that if you play each one repeatedly, it would become mundane, but that's why I'm planning to get more - ones that will progressively push me harder. Besides, my wife says she never sees me in a better mood than when I'm complete with a demanding set. I'm probably in the minority, but I love working out to Spinervals.