Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It must be Digital Gee's influence.....

I've always been pretty handy with mechanical things and can usually fix anything. Okay, I'm an engineer and I even enjoy taking stuff apart to see how it works.

I had 9000 miles on my chain and cassette and my chain checker finally indicated that the chain had sufficient stretch to where it was time to replace it. It is a Shimano chain and it should be a very simple task-just a matter of pushing out a pin on the old chain, shortening the new chain to the proper length, threading it through the derailleur and inserting a pin to connect the links. Maybe a 10 min job, tops.

Well, I did all that and everything checked out fine. On my first ride with the new chain for some reason I got a twist in one of the links. So I replaced a section of 4 links to remove the twisted link. I used 4 links as that is what I had left over from shortening the new chain to begin with. After doing that I took off to ride on a gorgeous day but the chain would not cooperate. One of the links was now "sticking/not bending easily" making the bike bascially unrideable.

At this point I made the executive decision that the new chain was cursed and took my bike to the LBS. I told them it was a new chain but to take it off, grind it up and put a new chain on my bike.

Now I'm thinking this 50+ stuff is catching up with me or maybe it's just I'm gravitating to Gary's level.......

I guess the real test will come the next time I have to fix a flat!!

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had this happen. What worked (for me, at least) was to apply lateral presure on the newly connected link. Such as:

1. hold the chain with your hands wrapped around it, and both of your thumbs on each side of the newly inserted rivet. Now pull gently toward you with both hands, while at the same time, pressing away from you with your thumbs.

2. Do the same thing to the other side of the chain, only opposite in action: push AWAY from you with your hands, and press TOWARD you with your index fingers by the rivet.

Test the link to see how smooth the result is. If it's still tight, repeat both steps with just a little more pressure. Check again. The link should now have the same smooth motion as the others.
    Last edited by oldcrank; 12-07-05 at 08:16 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OldCrank's got it right. I always seem to create a stiff link where I push in the pin. It's easy enough to fix - as OC sez, just flex the chain a few times laterally. Or, stick a small screwdriver in between the outer plates that are tight and gently twist to open them a hair. I use the chain tool to free up the link (the approved method but it seems most people don't know how and the other methods, while not as accurate, are quicker.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Now I'm thinking this 50+ stuff is catching up with me or maybe it's just I'm gravitating to Gary's level.......

I guess the real test will come the next time I have to fix a flat!!
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both above guys are correct. It almost always happens when I put a chain together and normally I just grab that old snake and choke it until she frees up (as described above). Also, you know what? Those extra tabs on your chain tool are designed to resolve a sticky link problem. If you look at the tool and study it for awhile, you can figure out how you can spread out the side plates that little bit, just enough to free things up. OHB

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano chains are a PITA to get back together correctly. I like SRAM chains with Powerlinks. I've never had a problem with them.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9,000 miles!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    9,000 miles!!
    Yeah - that is impressive. I only got about 2,500 from my chain (although I am a bit on the conservative side in terms of wear...)