Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

circuit training

Now that "winter" (still 70+ F) is here I have embarked on a circuit training routine:
    my current level:
    sit ups: 3x50
    push ups: 3x25
    curls: 3x12x 30 lb
    behind the neck pull: 3x12x30
    pull ups:3x7
    squats: 3x20 with 30 lbs
    interspaced with elliptical or rope jump: 15-20 minutes at aerobic levels
    I plan to improve about 10% every month or so till the riding season.

Am I in the ballpark or do I have lightyears to catch up to a normal healthy 55 y old? Are there any additional exercises I should be introducing? I also do some stretching and occasional meditation.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your routine may be improving body strength, but I prefer to be actively exercising. I often take a 1 mile walk into the town, but pushing it a bit rapid. May seem slow to some of you, but I do the 1 mile in 11 minutes. That keeps me breathing hard and I never break into a run or jog.

If I cannot ride- I do get down to the Gym and take 6 exercises in 10 minute or longer spells. The first one is always a 10 minute warm up, and then I am ready to push myself. Problem is that after a summer of riding, It will take me about 3 months before I can get the rest of my non-cycling muscles up to the level where I can start pushing them harder. Then it is time for the rides to start again, so the body just attunes itself for riding, and come the winter the gym comes back again.

The fatal thing to do is not to ride, and not to exercise. The exercise should be enough to keep the body in trim, but there then comes the time when you have to work to improve yourself- whether this is going to be for general fitness or cycling specific is up to you, but as I am finding out AGAIN, Just going out on the bike does leave a few muscles that ought to be worked more often than they are.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current practice would be to do no situps (can injure the lower back muscles), but instead crunches; and to not do behind the neck pulls (if you are referring to lat bar pulls), as it can injure the shoulder muscles. Instead pull the lat bar towards the chest while leaning a bit back.

I do my crunches with my lower legs on top of a chair seat, with 90 degree bends at the knees and hips. I do both direct and lateral crunches, and I generally do them very slowly, releasing my weight in small increments on the "down" stroke, so to speak.

I would suggest some lower back work, including rows and back extensions.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend, any 55 year old that can do 3x7 pull ups is WAY ahead of the curve. You won't find many 25 year olds out there that could match you!

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dnvrfox - thanks for the tips, i will take your advice on the crunches. I did not mention that my ONLY weight equip is two adjustable dumbells. Do you have any lower back work suggestions without the aid of "machines"?
    oc - thanks for the support, you made my day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    dnvrfox - thanks for the tips, i will take your advice on the crunches. I did not mention that my ONLY weight equip is two adjustable dumbells. Do you have any lower back work suggestions without the aid of "machines"?
    oc - thanks for the support, you made my day.
    Back extensions require no equipment. Lie on tummy, arms to side, raise both upper body and legs at the same time. Hold and return. Do not use arms for this.

Rows. Use the dumbbells while standing or sitting. Hold the dumbbells in your hands, arms pretty straight and pull/push the dumbbells back behind you as much as possible.

Here are some other dumbbell activities. You can do a lot with DB's

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/excer...umbellrows.htm

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/excer...lllaterals.htm

Here are some good sites, which will include many dumbbell activities:

http://www.fitrex.com/fitness_info/index.html

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...ss_workout.htm

By the way, those chinups are great. I was once where you are, but have lost it a bit and am building back up to 7-10 pullups.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that "winter" (still 70+ F) is here I have embarked on a circuit training routine:
    my current level:

Am I in the ballpark or do I have lightyears to catch up to a normal healthy 55 y old? Are there any additional exercises I should be introducing? I also do some stretching and occasional meditation.
    I'm no expert, but I work out once a week with a trainer who really likes "core" exercises. Crunches (rather than situps) are great. Pushups are good -- be sure to keep your back up (ie no sway back) and keep your stomach tight. Squats and jump rope are both things he uses a lot. To work on your balance and some of the smaller "stabalizer" muscles, you can get a cheap fitness ball, and there are lots of exercises that go along with it. If you can do 3x7 pullups now, you are waaaay above average. And winter is a great time to work on this stuff.

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my current level:

Looks like you are doing great, pretty impessive on the pull ups. I have just recently sold most of my weight equip, except for some dumbells, and have gone to resistance tubing.The number of exercises you can do with those things is almost limitless. They are also great for circuit training. I also added a stability ball. Although I am extremely aerobically fit from cycling ( about 9000 miles a year) I quickly learned how weak I was through the core. The set of tubing was about $50 and the ball about $15...a couple of inexpensive ways to really improve your fitness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryBomb
    Looks like you are doing great, pretty impessive on the pull ups. I have just recently sold most of my weight equip, except for some dumbells, and have gone to resistance tubing.The number of exercises you can do with those things is almost limitless. They are also great for circuit training. I also added a stability ball. Although I am extremely aerobically fit from cycling ( about 9000 miles a year) I quickly learned how weak I was through the core. The set of tubing was about $50 and the ball about $15...a couple of inexpensive ways to really improve your fitness.
    Yes - another great idea.

We use the therabands (similar to tubing) when traveling.

Here are some pictures of my wife and former personal trainer demonstrating some "lifts" with therabands.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-12-07 at 12:29 PM.