Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know its more fun to consider cobbler.....but I notice SRAM's cassettes seem a little cheaper from some sources than Shimano's. --at least Ultegra level. I'm happy with SRAM's chains. Anybody want to comment on differences, shifting performance, etc.....or, more likely, one brand cassette is much like another? But, $10 saved at Performance will buy me a few extra latte's.....or, some missed shifts could buy me some aggravation.

Opinions welcome!!

Reason I ask is:: rear rim on my 6spd has developed hair-line cracks around spoke nipples. Time for a new wheel. So, I'm thinking of having Sheldon Brown build one with a 7spd freehub that accomodates HG cassettes. He suggests using a 9spd cassette/chain but locking it down without the last cog...Presto! an 8spd set-up that fits "narrow" 126 spaced dropouts. I'm even considering putting brifters up front. So, I'll need a new cassette--be it SRAM or Shimano. Exciting stuff....like having your dear wife of many years dress up one night in a blond wig.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 12-10-05 at 11:22 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have always used Shimano becasuse they are always the ones that come with the Bikes, and I have always stayed with them. However there are a great number of people using s SRAM as replacement, and not only on cassettes, the deraillers and changers are used aswell.

If it is time to change a wheel, then this is the ideal time to think about upgrading, but why only go to 7? 8 would be better, and it is possible to get 8 speed changers relatively cheaper. 9 could be a bit more complicated- still the changers and cassette, but will require a new chain, but I should think that this should be changed at the same time. Talk to your LBS and they will be able to confirm what upgrade is possible.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Stapfam. I dropped out of the tech wave in the early 90's (emoticon with red face here)...but doesn't an 8spd require a 130mm spaced rear...my sweet old mid 80's frame has 126mm. 7spd hub is as far as I can go I believe without spreading the dropouts. The narrower spaced cogs of a 9spd less one cog will, I'm told, fit on the 7spd hub and satisfy my 126 width requirements. My Shim. 600 rd will click right along with my intended 9spd brifters.

This is a make-do upgrade that should work. I agree...every broken, worn out part is a smiling opportunity to upgrade. The increasing "dedication" of current components sometimes makes this difficult. I welcome any company (SRAM included) that breaks Shimano's almost monopoly on parts--especially OEM.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 12-11-05 at 09:17 AM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure Sheldon knows exactly what all your components are, and he can inform you if everything will work together. I switched my Trek 420 from downtube shifters to 7 speed Sora brifters that he sells.
    SRAM has been making parts like cassettes and chains for years. If they weren't good, then there wouldn't be a market for them anymore.

If your wife is already a brunette or redhead, why would she want to look worse??????????
    Last edited by Dchiefransom; 12-11-05 at 08:53 AM.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had excellent results with SRAM cassettes. My road bike and our tandem both came with SRAM cassettes from the manufacturers (Trek & Cannondale). They've been excellent in terms of shifting and durability and I don't plan to change brands once they require replacement.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    I've had excellent results with SRAM cassettes...They've been excellent in terms of shifting and durability and I don't plan to change brands once they require replacement.
    +1 (as in "me too")

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realise how old your bike is, but 126 to 130 is just a good tight fit for a wheel to get into, so might be possible to fit a 130 in there, without having the frame respaced to take a 130.

For the last 10 years or so- Mountain bikes have had the same spacing of 135 and so we do now have some standardisation. 6 speed must put it to a freewheel hub where the sprockets screw onto the hub instead of being a cassette. Even some 7 speeds are like this and they are not a good idea on a bike that is being used with gusto. Problem is that to go 7 speed, with a cassette onto the splined freehub sysyem now used- is finding a 7 speed hub. None have been made for years, so the norm is to fit an 8/9 speed freehub and to fit a spacer for the one less sprocket. Hardly seems worth it when an 8 speed cassette is only a little more expensive, and 8 speed changers can be cheap. Then it seems even less worthwhile when you can go 9 speed with just the cassette, changers and chain. This is despite all the blurb that chainrings are different and a different derailler is required. I have run 8 speed chain rings and deraillers on my 9 speed bikes untill the full upgrade was necessary so I know they work together.

So now look at the cost. Currently you have to buy a wheel- that is the reason for the upgrade. 126 spacing may limit your choices on what else you can do, but a new cassette, changer and chain are also going to be required. On an old bike, I would say look around the shops for an old wheel that will fit, and use that to get the bike roadworthy. Then sell it. With the money from the sale, and the amount not spent on upgrades, you can buy a better bike secondhand than the one you have got.

That is me though, but if you have to stay with your current bike, or you just do not want to part with it, look at the cost of the upgrades and think what is possible.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using SRAM cassettes for a couple of years along with SRAM chains. I'm pretty satisfied.

-Dennis
    Dennis T