Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Race Training

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Race Training

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Race Training

Is there available any good race training information for real old guys. I mean reeeeeeeeeeeal old like 76. I have won two golds the last two years in the Rocky Moutain Senior Games, but this year I won the time trial by only eight seconds. And there are a bunch of 74 year old kids that will be aging up into the group (75-79) that I compete in, and to win I can no longer depend on being sneaky and devious. It will take hard, smart work so I need information that will help me with the "smart" part. I would like to find something less expensive that the $600 Carmichial Training System that Lance uses. Any help appreciated.
Old 12-10-05, 01:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind coming second to a 74 year old and I am only 58. But then I no longer race. At my local gym we have several fitness trainers. One of them takes a group of Bike racers on structured Circuit training. Perhaps it could be that your local club can recommend a personal trainer to advise you on where you are lacking. Either that or start knobbling the tyres at the next games of your competitors. Devious methods still work.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-10-05, 07:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knobling the tires; sounds like a good idea. I'll try it. The local YMCA has kick ass spinning classes that I used early this year before the races, and I believe that they did help. Twice a week I also did high altitude hills (9000 to 14,000 feet) that are reputed to increase aerobics.
Old 12-11-05, 02:02 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to do spinning classes and they do work- Get the cardio vascular side working and it is surprising how the muscles improved over a 3 month period. Only draw back against them at my gym is that they are structured for the average rider, and if you are very fit, they are not hard enough for you, unless you put a lot of effort into it. I felt that if I was doing that much effort, I would rather be riding.

This year I am trying night riding on the hills in the week, and so No necessity or time to go down the gym.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-11-05, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Bolder Keith
Is there available any good race training information for real old guys. I mean reeeeeeeeeeeal old like 76. I have won two golds the last two years in the Rocky Moutain Senior Games, but this year I won the time trial by only eight seconds. And there are a bunch of 74 year old kids that will be aging up into the group (75-79) that I compete in, and to win I can no longer depend on being sneaky and devious. It will take hard, smart work so I need information that will help me with the "smart" part. I would like to find something less expensive that the $600 Carmichial Training System that Lance uses. Any help appreciated.
Sure. You can use the Friel methods. He wrote a great book for cyclists training after 50. Actually, It's called "Cycling After Fifty", by Joe Friel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088...books&v=glance

For training with weights, try the book by Wayne Wescott and Thomas Baechle called "Strength Training Past 50": https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088...books&v=glance

I know there's another book out there that I have, but it's early in the morning, and my mind is not grasping things right now.... I'll post again if it comes to me.

Koffee

Old 12-13-05, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All right Kaffee, thanks for the info.

I shudder to think of Stapfam riding the hills at night. Sounds very dangerous, but maybe he can ride where there are no cars to threaten him.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-14-05, 01:36 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolder Keith
All right Kaffee, thanks for the info.

I shudder to think of Stapfam riding the hills at night. Sounds very dangerous, but maybe he can ride where there are no cars to threaten him.

Merry Christmas
One of the reasons I ride Offroad is to get away from the Cars. Mind you, you then have the wildlife to contend with, and Kamikaze Pheasants under the front wheel do get disconcerting. That night riding is yet another way to get on the bike instead of the armchair. It is not easy, but still a great challenge.

Spike Milligan