Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

winter laziness

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

winter laziness

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 08:54 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
It seems like the winters are so much colder than they used to be.
Remember how you used to notice old people were cold all the time and kept their houses too warm? Now it's our turn.
Old 11-25-09, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've been eating loads of Scottish shortbread (essentially, butter and sugar solidified) it's so good with tea or hot milk. I haven't been riding any less though.
Old 11-25-09, 09:41 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Remember how you used to notice old people were cold all the time and kept their houses too warm? Now it's our turn.
This is my wife's first winter at home since retiring from teaching. Last week she said that she is cold all day while she is at home. Oops!, I never thought to reprogram the thermostat and had the daytime setback at 62 degrees.
Old 11-25-09, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
It has something to do with sunlight and vitamin d, k, or something like that. I have a MUP just a few yards down the street and go walking for an hour or two almost every night. Keeps me active, away from eating and tv. It seems that I am in the minority with those people who don't mind winter at all.
Old 11-25-09, 11:40 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by capejohn
It seems that I am in the minority with those people who don't mind winter at all.
I enjoy ice fishing as much as I do riding a bike. The past decade or so has been influenced by global warming, El Nina, sun spots, Sputnik or just a streak of warmer weather patterns. What used to be a season that began around Christmas and lasted into mid-March has been reduced to mid-January to late February, if even at all.
Old 11-25-09, 01:26 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I enjoy ice fishing as much as I do riding a bike. The past decade or so has been influenced by global warming, El Nina, sun spots, Sputnik or just a streak of warmer weather patterns. What used to be a season that began around Christmas and lasted into mid-March has been reduced to mid-January to late February, if even at all.
It must be the Wednesday weed.

I live to the south of you and we've been *****ing about the nasty winters here for several years in a row.

My aunt lives in Ashland, OH and she freezes her butt off 5 months a year.

I didn't even put away my winter riding gear this year until mid-June.

If you're not careful I'm going to sic the East Anglian hacker truth squad on ya
Old 11-25-09, 01:39 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This winter I'm trying a switch from my road bike to my mountain bike. Trail riding is lower speed so lower wind-chill, plus the climbs are (generally) steeper, so riding those creates more body heat too.

Sure, it's a bit on the cold side for the first ten minutes or so, but building up my body heat is a wonderful thing. I keep a jacket in my jersey pocket for the long descents though. So overall, not nearly as many miles, but more (not quite like intervals) intensity.

Also, this is taking place starting from our cabin near Big Bear lake, so the altitude (6,500 feet) makes it lots colder than "down the hill."

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-25-09, 02:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
This winter I'm trying a switch from my road bike to my mountain bike. Trail riding is lower speed so lower wind-chill, plus the climbs are (generally) steeper, so riding those creates more body heat too.

Sure, it's a bit on the cold side for the first ten minutes or so, but building up my body heat is a wonderful thing. I keep a jacket in my jersey pocket for the long descents though. So overall, not nearly as many miles, but more (not quite like intervals) intensity.

Also, this is taking place starting from our cabin near Big Bear lake, so the altitude (6,500 feet) makes it lots colder than "down the hill."

Rick / OCRR
With the local "freeze-thaw" phenominon MTBing is not much of an option. I wish it were. It's a lot more fun than the Kurt Kinetic.
Old 11-25-09, 05:59 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got out for a few miles this afternoon. Temps in the low forties, bit of a north breeze. I've got to learn to put on more clothes! Came home and took a nap. Cold weather wears me out quickly.
Old 11-27-09, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
With the local "freeze-thaw" phenominon MTBing is not much of an option. I wish it were. It's a lot more fun than the Kurt Kinetic.
It depends on a lot of things. With fat studded tires and about 20 psi I ride straight over 3" deep frozen footprints and ruts etc. I have to so that slowly, but I do it for long distances sometimes. Flat ice with studded tires is easy, almost like pavement, if the ice is cold and hard. The studs grab hard ice the best.
Old 11-27-09, 07:20 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd respond with a thoughtful and insightful post, but I'm going to bed early instead.
Old 11-28-09, 12:13 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000, Surly LHT, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the same problem for about a month. Had some time away from the bike (just a few weeks) and the weather got colder in the meantime. LOL Anyway, to combat this, I commuted Monday through Thursday this week. Thursday (Thanksgiving) was 34 degrees but I did it anyway, just to jump start things. It was cold but it felt better afterward. Bottom line is: I've put on about 10 pounds and want to get rid of it. I do think it is a seasonal/caveman thing, but this year I don't want it to be so far behind when it's springtime, so I'm trying to hang in there and stay more active.
We'll see.
RC in Hixson, TN
Old 11-28-09, 10:14 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's been raining steadily in Vancouver for the past month. Fortunately, we've got the indoor velodrome for training or just riding pacelines on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights. It's been getting pretty crowded lately, but it doesn't take too many riders to fill a 200-meter track.

I imagine it would be worse in Toronto. You'd have to drive two hours (or more if there's snow on the 401) to London, ON just to ride on a 138-meter indoor track.

But anyway, you have to really, really enjoy riding a bike in the rain if you want to ride in Vancouver this time of year. But I must say, it's starting to get somewhat tiresome! I'm so glad we've got the indoor track!

L.
Old 11-28-09, 01:53 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any long rides planned for the winter so there is no incentive to get out in the cold and train. I commute and ride for errands this time of year.

Round trip to my Mom's is about 25 miles, I might get my son to ride along with me soon.
Old 11-28-09, 04:43 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
[/COLOR]

Funny how I missed this when it was posted nearly 4 years ago- But If Granny gear still visits (WHERE ARE YOU?)It is not true.--They do it at 8am to to get the bike out so I can get out of their hair quicker.
Well, from what I recall from those old BF50Plus days, GrannyGear begat himself as CrossChain.....and then vanished. I suspect he's still hereabouts, lurking.
As for having the family fall-in each morning, I assumed all British veterans, especially Army, SAS, etc., did so.
Old 11-29-09, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I would suggest you purchase some stuff for your cycling. there's nothing like new acquisitions to spark my interest again. whether its an accessory for the bike like fenders or a light, or new clothing like a rain jacket. cycling is like baseball - it doesn't take much to make it interesting
Old 11-29-09, 10:50 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been off the bike for the last nine days, I get to ride to work tonight I have to go back to work tonight. I am looking forward to it. (the ride part, not the work part)

I am also stoked, I ordered my J&G rain jacket, which should be a corking nice winter riding jacket. I also am awaiting my Rainmates. I already have my snow sneakers. I think I am all set on my winter gear.
Old 11-29-09, 09:11 PM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am S.A.D. will be until late March or early April. I have not riden a whole lot the past couple of weeks because my right knee has been bothering me. I do not think it is bike related because it does not bother me a bit while I am riding. I think it is more related to the fact I am on my feet, on concrete every day at work. It has been feeling better the past few days and it's suppose to be in the lower 50's on Tuesday so I may ride then. I have been doing pretty good on my diet and exercise since early summer and the bike has been a big part of that. However I hate winter and cold weather so I know I will not be doing a lot of riding in the coming months. I am concerned about becoming a slug over the winter but, I am still doing my weight work and daily walks. I may need to get my butt on the tread mill a couple times a week also.
Old 11-30-09, 04:04 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
+1 for walking. I did it for years before I cranked it up a notch