Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Spoke truing

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Spoke truing

Old 11-30-09, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Spoke truing

I was gifted a truing stand so I want to start truing my wheels. I sorta successfully trued a wheel on an old bike a couple of years ago but stripped a couple of nipples in the process. I would like to practice a bit before tackling my good wheels. Anyhow, that is where my confusion sets in. I pulled a wheel off a true junker of a bike that my daughter has laying around the back of the garage. Surprisingly the front wheel spins true BUT there is almost no tension in the spokes. They all easily move when I squeeze them. I assume I should tighten them up a bit but how to begin. Should I just tighten every spoke a quarter turn and then see where I am?
Old 11-30-09, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Your approach would be consistent with what Sheldon Brown recommended in tensioning and truing a wheel (see this site about half way down the page: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html )
Old 11-30-09, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
You're on the right track. I always start at the valve stem and tighten each spoke in small equal increments. That way you don't affect the wheels trueness in either plane.

When you are trueing a wheel for side-to-side wobble, tighten and loosen opposing pairs of spokes an equal amount and you won't affect the wheel's up-and-down roundness.
Old 11-30-09, 11:22 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yep. Equal tightening turns on each spoke will tighten the spokes without affecting trueness or roundness. Reto Grouch's second paragraph is very important advice.
Old 11-30-09, 11:30 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
If the wheel is true but lacks tension you just need to bring up the tension in small increments until the tension is within it's proper range.

Stripped nipples are caused when you use a poor quality spoke wrench, over tighten spokes (with a bad wrench), or it can happen when you use Al nipples which are much softer than the steel in the wrench.

Many wheels you come across will have been machine built and these are far more prone to having spokes loosen over time as they may have never been tuned up or de-stressed... after proper servicing they may never have to see a wrench again.
Old 11-30-09, 12:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On an old wheel--put a drop of penetrating oil (WD40) onto the Spoke/nipple interface a few hours before attempting to tighten them. Saves a few rounded off nipples. And get a good spoke wrench that fits the nipples. Park Tools do a good one and in 3 sizes if I remember correctly. I only have the two that fit my nipples- a red and a black one.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-30-09, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The best way to learn how to true is to build a wheel from scratch. Take it all apart and rebuild it for practice. If the spokes are very loose, they need more than a quarter turn.