User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of "Geezers, Old Farts" and Related Terms for 50+rs

Anyone else but me put off by these, to me, denigrating terms for folks 50+?

I don't know of any other "age group" that refers to themselves so much in derogatory terms.

Why is the usage of this terminology seemingly so appealing to certain folks? Do some think it is "cute?" Or is it supposedly self-deprecating?

I firmly believe that there is already quite enough "putting down" of folks with a few more years by younger folks and that we don't have to add to it.

But, you all knew this was eventually coming from me.

One of the original goals of the 50+ forum was to add dignity to folks 50+, and to let others see our accomplishments and contributions in the cycling world, which is seldom recognized by those younger. Some sort of balance to the equation. Let them see what they might be able to accomplish as they gain maturity. Seems to me that lately we have been going backwards.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terms you cited don't bother me at all. I occasionally will use them myself to describe myself. I find them amusing. I used to call myself a young fart, by the way. Or a whippersnapper. Anyway, speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me. As my old man used to say, "Call me whatever you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to agree with DG, it doesn't bother me if someone calls me "old", geezer, antique, older than dirt, over the hill, old guy, LOL, even Fat old guy, if I worried about what everyone calls me, I'd be in a looney bin chasing invisable butterfiles. I've got a paunch and when I wear my long sleeve yellow jersey, (hey my grandaughter bought it for me so, Lance isn't the only guy who can wear one and have a fan club!), I don't look like the "trim, slim, mean & lean" rider that is "supposed" to ride a bicycle and probably well "never" be so I get some cat calls from the young'uns and strange looks at time but it's "their" problem not mine!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take those terms as sort of a badge. For someone (myself) who is 57, I am in better shape and can do a lot of things physically that a many of my friends,family,work associates can't do who are 10 to 20 years younger. Except for the loss of hair I look better than many of them also.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think of them as terms of endearment, doesn't phase me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't bother me. I'm just trying to figure out how I can get into the lower age brackets at the National 24 Hour Challenge. I have never been able to crack the top 3 in my own bracket, the old farts are just too damn fast. But most years I would finish 2nd or 3rd in the 18-24 group. Would Grecian Formula help?

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The years have been kind to me (knocking on wood).

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't bother me for 2 reasons.
    1. On this forum we're all of the same category. Something akin to referring to each other as Bad!
    2. In person it is given lightly as most everyone who kids me that way realizes I am in better shape than they are. It is sort of a backhanded compliment.

This forum helps to create the atmosphere where such references are okay. If all of us could only communicate on the road forum for instance, then I know many such references would be meant in a derogatory fashion as things do tend to get out of hand on that forum. That would not be okay in my opinion.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the moany old "Git" within my group. That is what I call myself to give newcomers an idea of what they are about to go through if they upset me. "Git" is probably a UK term and comes from a TV show in the 60's. I am old, I am moany, and probably a Git, but I don't care what they call me as they drag me up the hills. It's when I have to drag them up that they find out my description is true.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I started this with my "Aging Descending Geezers" thread. Sorry if any offense was taken by anyone. Mostly, I'm proud of being geezerish and don't mind teasing from my younger riding partners. I suspect they admire me all the more for doing what they do...if a little slower. Passion for riding burns more brightly for us perhaps just because it takes just a little more to get out of bed at 5:30AM and hit those damned spinervals that Dnvr intro'ed me to.

Anyway, I seldom find anyone using such terms scornfully, contemptuously, or dismissively.....most of the time affectionately or with gentle humor. Hell, most of the time its us using those agist terms as we live with the ironies and sometimes conflicts of being "active" 50Plussers and are secretly proud of ourselves for not being petrified in a recliner position like too many of our peers.

But Dnvr, I do understand the pride you take in what you (and we've) done with our age.....and none of us want it to be undervalued.

And that's what BF FiftyPus is for and what it does pretty well.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Guess I started this with my "Aging Descending Geezers" thread. Sorry if any offense was taken by anyone.

But Dnvr, I do understand the pride you take in what you (and we've) done with our age.....and none of us want it to be undervalued.

And that's what BF FiftyPus is for and what it does pretty well.
    No, you didn't start it. It has been going on for some time now, and I was just able to restrain my feeble arms and poor vision eyes, and Alzhiemer's-filled brain and arthritic fingers from responding until now.

But, historically speaking, there was a time on these forums when folks our age were quite frequently derided and put down. Many did not know we rode classy bikes, or did centuries, or did tours. Many thought that 50 was really old, and that anyone age 66 who did 4,500 miles per year was an anomaly.

It took a fair amount of effort on my and some others part to get this forum together against a fair amount of resistance. You know, "no one will participate (they are too old)," and other such statements.

I still occasionally read derogatory statements about 50+rs in some forums.

Call yourself whatever you might like. I will continue to refrain from terminology which attempts to categorize any age group or ethnic group or or ability(or disability) group or whatever group in "catch phrases" no better than stereotypes

But please don't include me as a member of your phraseology. Thanks.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-15-05 at 02:36 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I understand your post and appreciate your viewpoint. However, I decided long ago not to be sensitive to anything anyone called me or said about me. In the words of Richard Feynman, "What do you are what other people think?"

I have to be careful in what I say about others, who may not feel as I do.

__
    "Sticks and stones ... "
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It usually doesn't bother me unless I'm having an attack of Codgeritis. I'm only 52 so maybe I have not had enough time to become sensitized.

I agree with Gary. Just don't call me late for supper. Now, where did I leave that Ben-Gay?

My Bikes
    hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I agree absolutely. I'm always startled by those terms in conversation - I totally don't understand the appeal.

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Dnvr, I think growing old gracefully is a badge to be worn proudly. In fact I find that people are astounded to see a 60-something on a bike, and when they ask "Where ya goin', or Where ya comin from?" and put your answer together with the white beard, they are incredulous. I've heard several use the word "hero" - I usually grin back and say something like, " Not bad for a big ole fat geezer, eh?" (obviously I'm Canajun) I'm afraid "old" is here to stay in our lives, let's change what we can and prove the stereotypes wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are the terms I use on the last part of the Tour De Cure century in Napa, Ca, when there's heavy traffic and the shoulder in front of me is full of younger cyclists.
    "Excuse me, could you guys single up and let this Geezer pass?"
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Norco "Citadel" (ink blue/silver)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi folks,
    I think there are a couple sides to this....
    1 -- coming from young bucks and mouthy punks its obviously a put-down.
    2 -- coming from an acquaintance our own age, its more likely a good natured rib.
    3 -- coming from a stranger is obviously a lack of tact and respect for others.

And there may be other more subtle words/phrases... "your mother wears army boots."

People have varying thicknesses of skin and not everyone has bionic titanium skin so its understandable some will be upset by those words. No longer do we refer to people as Mr. Smith or Mrs. Jones -- its Bob and Jane. Society has become far too familliar -- "no respect" says the late Rodney Dangerfield.

40-50 years ago people were tossed out on their ear from companies, a few lucky ones got a "gold watch". 20-30 years ago, you got 30 minutes notice and 2 weeks severance. Today, they just through you out a window and don't even wish you good luck.

If anyone has seen the movie "Logan's Run" where society kills people on their 30th birthday because they aren't useful any more, then you know where we're headed. Whats next ? ...your 20th birthday?

People over 30-40-50-60-70 all have value and something to offer. The problem is, no one wants to take the time to discover what that value is. And I'm sure what these older age groups have to offer is far more valuable than the work-ethics and sense of responsibility of today's youth and young adults (16-35).

I can take it or leave it, but given the trend, I think we should stand up and fight for some dignity and respect. Power to the grey and bald.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't care what people want to call me. As a retired civil servant, I've been called a lot worse than geezer or old fart and learned long ago to take responsibility for my own dignity. When I want to let a "thirty-something" see what I can accomplish, I will follow 50 yards behind him for several miles, pass him on the uphill and make it stick going down the other side.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't bother me at all. I'm also not bothered by references to my "chrome dome", "red neck" or "four eyes" or whatever. I take it as either a friendly jab or the comments of an ignorant fool. Nothing in either worth getting upset about. About the only thing that really, really offends me is political correctness.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    The terms you cited don't bother me at all. I occasionally will use them myself to describe myself. I find them amusing. I used to call myself a young fart, by the way. Or a whippersnapper. Anyway, speaking for myself, it doesn't bother me. As my old man used to say, "Call me whatever you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."
    What DG says^^^^^

My Bikes
    Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the tender age of 48, I'm much too young to understand this thread.

But, if I did.... age is whatever you want it to be. I exercise daily and look and feel ten years younger. And, I'm getting younger all the time.
    I cycle as hard as I can, I'm getting the health benefits, but unfortunately, I'm slow.
    My first race was an eye opener, not a peleton kind of guy, a better fit would be driving the team car.
    "Lack of opportunity does not constitute virtue". Diana Tickle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    I really don't care what people want to call me. As a retired civil servant, I've been called a lot worse than geezer or old fart and learned long ago to take responsibility for my own dignity. When I want to let a "thirty-something" see what I can accomplish, I will follow 50 yards behind him for several miles, pass him on the uphill and make it stick going down the other side.

Dogbait
    Folks, you are missing the point.

It is not what other folks are calling us, it is what we are calling ourselves. that is the issue

So,

1. At age 49 and 364.9 days, you are a "boomer" or whatever. However, one day later, at age 50 everyone becomes a "geezer" and and "old fart" or perhaps a "coot." No matter if you are fit or lazy or brilliant or a bum, AGE totally defines your being - at least how you describe your being to others. Right? Am I getting the message correctly?

2. But, it seems as if no one quite knows what a "geezer" or "old fart" or "coot" or "whatever" is.

From a couple of online dictionaries:

geezer

n : a man who is (usually) old and/or eccentric [syn: bloke]

Main Entry: geeˇzer
    Pronunciation: 'gE-z&r
    Function: noun
    Etymology: probably alteration of Scots guiser (one in disguise)
    : a queer, odd, or eccentric person -- used especially of elderly men

geezer

Main Entry:** fuddy-duddy
    Part of Speech:** noun
    Definition:** old-fashion person
    Synonyms:** dotard, dull person, fogy, fussbudget, fusspot, granny, old fart, old fogy, old maid, square, stick-in-the-mud, stuffed shirt

old fart

n. Tribal elder. A title self-assumed with
    remarkable frequency by (esp.) Usenetters who have been programming
    for more than about 25 years; often appears in sig blocks attached
    to Jargon File contributions of great archeological significance.
    This is a term of insult in the second or third person but one of
    pride in first person.

3. Using terminology about ourselves such as "old fart" and "geezer" is amusing or humorous or somehow a badge of honor of acquiring that one day after 49 years 364.99 days.

Okay.

We can equally as well call ourselves:

dotard, dull person, fogy, fussbudget, fusspot, granny, old fart, old fogy, old maid, square, stick-in-the-mud, stuffed shirt.

Are these synonyms also more respectful meaningful and worthwhile connotations of being 49years 364.9 days plus one? I am impressed!

I have mostly failed to make my point convincingly to others. Not an unusual result for a "geezer" such as myself.

Excuse me while I leave to study for my ACE Personal Trainer exam as I get ready to start my next career.

Go in peace.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-16-05 at 07:07 AM.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    No, you didn't start it. It has been going on for some time now, and I was just able to restrain my feeble arms and poor vision eyes, and Alzhiemer's-filled brain and arthritic fingers from responding until now.

But, historically speaking, there was a time on these forums when folks our age were quite frequently derided and put down. Many did not know we rode classy bikes, or did centuries, or did tours. Many thought that 50 was really old, and that anyone age 66 who did 4,500 miles per year was an anomaly.
    Personally, I find it hard to restrain myself when self described "REAL/SERIOUS" CYCLISTS of any age, put down or deride cyclists of any age who do not define their cycling accomplishment/status by ownership of "classy" bikes, doing centuries, tours, and similar competition/club oriented activities.

I find it rather pathetic when older cyclists think it is an imperative to compete with every cyclist they see on the road, and a BFD when they can "drop" a younger cyclist.

I am 58 and find nothing wrong with not giving a dang about competing with younger cyclists, and not obsessing over yearly mileage bragging rights. Some of my cycling comrades should try just riding at whatever pace is comfortable, regardless of whatever they used to do, to wherever, for whatever reason, on whatever equipment meets their current needs. I recommend: Don't give a dang about put downs from no-nothings and enjoy cycling because you can.

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to all. I have been following this forum for a month now. This is probably the most intelligent and informative site I have found for riders of any age who desire to learn how bicycling can improve anyone's lifestyle and attitude toward aging productively.
    I understand DenvrFox's concern about the stereotypical terms used for those over fifty. Even though the population is growing older by the decades, our society still puts a cap on expectations once you are "over the hill". Personally, at 50, I left the corporate world, went back to grad school and am now starting a new career in high school education. Even the professors were a little suprised to see an older male make such a decision at that time in life. In fact there is a term used- Non-traditional Student. This, I believe would be a fitting moniker for you rascals..l.Non-traditional students of life after 50
    In closing, be proud of what you are accomplishing and maybe we can influence the young to look further into the future than just being able to drive and by beer legally. Have you seen the shape of most teenagers? I pray they survive to see 50.
    Thanks for the time to join in. Rick
    Ditto to GrannyGear's D.T. post script

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with the "geezer" term or other monikers. I earned it. I take great pride in hearing a young whippersnapper say "Man, that old fart wearing sandals can really go."

I don't ask for respect from the cycling community by demanding they call me some nice name. I earn that respect by getting out there and riding and showing that people over 50 shouldn't go to pasture gracefully but instead resisting and kicking!
    Dennis T

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast