Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Riding in the Snow - Glorious! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/160943-riding-snow-glorious.html)

DnvrFox 12-19-05 03:51 PM

Riding in the Snow - Glorious!

Just a bit of snow on the trails made for a wonderful ride.

Temp - 42F
Partly sunny
No wind

DaveTaylor 12-19-05 04:30 PM

Minus 42 F :eek: :eek: You must have balls of brass :p . Even if it was only a wussy plus 42F, good for you to get out there and ride!

webist 12-19-05 05:14 PM

It looks more like 42 rather than minus 42. Either way though, it's pretty.

cyclintom 12-19-05 05:23 PM

It was in the low 40's here on Saturday and as we turned around it started raining. Never bothered me enough to mention but then I've bought some pretty good clothing for these conditions.

DnvrFox 12-19-05 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by DaveTaylor
Minus 42 F :eek: :eek: You must have balls of brass :p . Even if it was only a wussy plus 42F, good for you to get out there and ride!

Hmm!

- 42F (that is a dash - notice the space before the "4"), although technically a dash should be "--".

-42F (That is a minus sign - no space)

Anyway, thanks. It was fun.

Roody 12-19-05 07:26 PM

We are just now getting our first single-digit temps of the season. So far my gear is all working well, and I am comfortable as I ride through the snow and wind.

oldcrank 12-19-05 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Just a bit of snow on the trails made for a wonderful ride.

Temp - 42F
Partly sunny
No wind

God bless you DnvrFox . . . you are truly a man of conviction!

stapfam 12-20-05 01:47 AM

No snow in the UK but plenty of what I can see in your pics. ICE. Great to get out in the cool weather, but watch out for the bike having a tantrum and throwing of off its back

pastorbobnlnh 12-20-05 04:27 AM

I flew from New Hampshire to Maryland on 12/15. Snow was on the ground every mile of the way. What a sight! It's been down to -8 F here in NH and I have not ridden in the snow--- only on the trainer. By the way the way, I hope to be the first in Stepfam's virtual New Year's Day Ride--- by biking at 12 midnight G.M.T. here in NH on 12/31 at 7:00 p.m. But I might only ride to the end of the driveway and back!

DnvrFox 12-20-05 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam
No snow in the UK but plenty of what I can see in your pics. ICE. Great to get out in the cool weather, but watch out for the bike having a tantrum and throwing of off its back

Looks like ice, but it was really soft snow. Absolutely no slippage. During my ride, much of it melted. I was on my trusty mtn steed.

p8rider 12-20-05 07:42 AM

Looks Great Dnvrfox - You do get unusual weather out that way. I thought like Stapfam that it looked like ice, (no fun). The thought that it is soft snow would make it an interesting change of pace for a ride. As for us, we had an ice storm last Wed. evening and Thurs., but by Sat. morning I was out riding. We dodged a bullet on Sunday as a major storm swept off the coast and out to sea.

DaveTaylor 12-20-05 07:49 AM

My Christmas wish for Webist and DnvrFox: " a sense of humour" :) As if anyone would be thinking minus 42F!!

DnvrFox 12-20-05 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DaveTaylor
My Christmas wish for Webist and DnvrFox: " a sense of humour" :) As if anyone would be thinking minus 42F!!

I caught your "humor," but you missed my "dry" humor in return.

That was the "Hmm!" part, and the overly extended stupid explanation.

Even my wife doesn't understand me at times.

DaveTaylor 12-20-05 08:00 AM

Merry Christmas to both of us then ;)

jppe 12-20-05 01:35 PM

Thanks for posting the photos!! That looks pretty slick to me. It would probably be a white knuckle ride for me.

I rode on dry pavement today and the temps ranged from 39 to 42 but no snow!! We had ice last week and it brought down the trees onto the power lines which left over 1,000,000 without power. Most will have their power back on by today.

DnvrFox 12-20-05 02:31 PM

No, it really wasn't slick at all. But then, I am only going about 10-12 miles per hour.

Rode today for 1.5 hours - temp was about 40F.

Snow all gone, but WHY does the bike (or maybe it is the bicycler) go so DARN SLOW!

Man, it is like molasses or honey.

Well, anyway, it is a great workout.

(I figure the cold tires just don't do well, and the cold lubricant and the cold me and everything else.)

jppe 12-20-05 04:56 PM

Excellent observation about the speeds.

It's truly amazing how much slower the speeds are in colder temperatures. I did a 50 mile ride today that in more milder temps I'd probably average close to 18 mph without too much exertion. I think my average was 15.7 or at least something undrer 16 mph.

I was working pretty hard at it too! Doesn't bother me anymore. Just sensational to be out on the road riding!!

DnvrFox 12-20-05 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
Excellent observation about the speeds.

It's truly amazing how much slower the speeds are in colder temperatures. I did a 50 mile ride today that in more milder temps I'd probably average close to 18 mph without too much exertion. I think my average was 15.7 or at least something undrer 16 mph.

I was working pretty hard at it too! Doesn't bother me anymore. Just sensational to be out on the road riding!!

And here is the "official" explanation(s)

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm