Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Baffled and befuddled

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Baffled and befuddled

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 10:12 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
At first I didn't think there was much more that I could add that this enlightened group has not already said. However as I started typing I realized you made me ask myself again what it was about this riding stuff that got me so enthused. I apologize for the length of the reply and keep in mind it's just my thoughts. However, I was right where you are just a couple years ago asking my cycling brother the very same questions if that helps any.

I tend to subscribe to Cheeseflavor's comments. I've also been through multiple bikes over 4-5 years and would agree that is all about the experience. I started out on a Mtn Bike with slicks/inverts and never intended or really wanted to do group rides, centuries. mountain climbs, etc. It evolved over time and the different road bikes DO make a difference. I've got is so bad I'm now out shopping for a used Time Trial bike just to ride 9 times a year!!! I even spend $600 (and that was a deal!) on another set of wheels just to lighten the bike to do the mountain climbs easier.

If it helps any, there are the things that a roadie allows me to do that a Mtn Bike would not allow me to do at the level I want to do it. Here are some things that come to mind.

Organized group rides that are just to numerous to mention-from 30 miles to 117 miles.
Epic Century rides like The Assault on Mt Mitchell, Hilly Hellacious, Bridge to Bridge (Grandfather Mtn climb), Cheaha Challenge and on and on.
Two day bike trips covering over 200 miles.
Numerous solo rides of 60+ miles exploring the countryside-finding treasured spots I never knew existed.
Time Trials at Lowes Motor Speedway where some of the best riders in the Southeast test their cycling skills.
Social rides of 100 miles where you pedal along with 25 folks for 5-6 hours and enjoy each other's company.

Just my thoughts, but if you're satisfied with the miles, exercise regime and the types of things you're doing today then it's difficult to really justify investing in a different bike. However, there is a totally different experience out there waiting for you if you're interested.

It's much, much more than just the exercise and the amount of time on the bike. It's everything else that comes along with it. I'd love for you to have the feeling of doubt, accomplishment and exhiliration of doing a 100 plus mile ride with 1000 other riders and finish at the top of a mountain. I'd love for you to have the thrill of standing around with a group of other cyclists after doing a 10 mile time trial where everyone has given it all you had and you were the only one to set a new Personal Record. If only you could experience what it's like to zoom along in a pack of 100-200-300 riders with the draft sucking you along for so many miles you don't realize how far you've gone. And then there is the sheer feeling of relief when you've been dropped by a stronger group only to be picked up by another smaller group after struggling by yourself for a while.

I know you'd enjoy greatly increasing your circle of friends by meeting lots of people over time through rides and other cycling events. It's amazing the number of people and friends I've made over the last several years from seeing and riding with them at various rides. Hey, there are lots of very healthy females out there doing these events as well. And the best part of that is that I tend to ride at the same pace they do!!

So, for me I guess it comes down to the experience and what you're after. I didn't realize all this was out there until I put my toe into the pedal and began to experience it. You just need to determine what you want to get out of this cycling stuff and go from there.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the Blackberry Cobbler........
I just wanted to say this is one of the most beautifully written posts I've ever read. Inspiring, as well. Thanks -- look forward to all your posts. There are so many excellent writers in this forum it sometimes blows me away.

Here's to lots of well-earned pie and cobbler!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-21-05, 10:54 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I just wanted to say this is one of the most beautifully written posts I've ever read. Inspiring, as well. Thanks -- look forward to all your posts. There are so many excellent writers in this forum it sometimes blows me away.

Here's to lots of well-earned pie and cobbler!
You think it is better than the pictures of the naked riders?

Well, I never!
Old 12-21-05, 11:10 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
original question:
For every hour I spend on the bike, am I not getting more physical benefit from the less effecient machine?

No, you are just not going as far (under similar conditions). (see Trsnrtr)
Old 12-21-07, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep us posted on what you finally decide to do.
Old 12-21-07, 01:24 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipper
Talk about bringing back an old post!

Old 12-21-07, 01:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipper
I know a setup when I see one!
Old 12-21-07, 02:34 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See, that's what I don't quite understand. Let's say on my mtb I'll get 15 miles in an hour, and on the road bike on the same route I'd get 18 miles, or whatever, in the same hour. Are you saying the only difference is that I went farther with the road bike, but spent the same amount of energy? That's what I think. (That doesn't include the fun factor, the more-likely-to-get-out-and-bike factor, etc.)

It sounds like if measured by time, the energy is the same and the distance is greater, and if measured by distance, the energy is lower for the road bike and the time the same. Right?
Generally, if you're exercising at a certain level of effort, you'll burn the same amount of calories per hour, regardless of the bike.

But you'll go further on a more efficient bike, thanks to lower rolling resistance of the tires and a more aerodynamic body position. Thus, on the more efficient bike you'll burn slightly less calories per mile.

BTW - if you're interested in going further/faster, get a bike with drop bars. The flat bars on the 7.6 won't be good for all day comfort, and they'll slow you down because your body position will be more upright.
Old 12-21-07, 02:34 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Santa is coming soon. Better not buy anything till you see what is under the tree.

But then you've obviously been waiting for two years already.
Old 12-21-07, 02:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad thing is, I'm still baffled and befuddled most of the time.

Old 12-21-07, 04:26 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
See, that's what I don't quite understand. Let's say on my mtb I'll get 15 miles in an hour, and on the road bike on the same route I'd get 18 miles, or whatever, in the same hour. Are you saying the only difference is that I went farther with the road bike, but spent the same amount of energy? That's what I think. (That doesn't include the fun factor, the more-likely-to-get-out-and-bike factor, etc.)

It sounds like if measured by time, the energy is the same and the distance is greater, and if measured by distance, the energy is lower for the road bike and the time the same. Right?
It depends......

Yes exactly, if you ride by yourself you tend to put about the same effort out and just go faster or farther with the lighter bike. Especially if it is a long ride for you.
More efficent-same work-faster or farther if everything else is equal.
Between my touring bike and my light race bike I get about 10 free miles for the same work in a century on the lighter bike.

If you are trying to keep up with others that keep the same speed you will do more work on the slower bike, as you try and maintain the pace.

If you have a fast light fixie or SS and you ride with others about your same fitness you will work harder, but probably be faster than the others. It's much less discouraging, than riding a just plain slower bike.
There are lots of other variables, but those are the biggest ones.

If you have a lighter bike with higher gearing (as they normaly have from the factory) a really hilly route may be more comfortable on the slower bike with lower gearing. On a flater course you may not even notice, until you find yourselt at the end sooner. If your lighter bike reaches a place where you are a lot more comfortable on your route because you do less work, you may reach a point where you can really keep riding a lot longer. Much longer than the benefit of just the increased efficency. You may be able to go twice as long if that effort is really comfortable. You may sort of reach a sustainable effort level, that lets you keep going.

The effort that will give me about 9-10 mph on my Heaviest mtb with knobbies, will give me about 14 mph on my touring bike, and about 15-16 my my lightest race bike. For the same work.

The amount of effort that makes Bailey and his trike go about 12 mph will easily push the racing bike 18mph.

Lighter bikes are bumpier than heavy bikes, the heavy bikes make the tire absorb more bumps instead of sending it up to you. From the factory the lighter bike will have higher gears, if there are a lot of hills the lighter bike may actually be harder on your knees. It depends on the terrain and the gearing difference. If you have artritis or something that is made worse by a bumpy ride, think a lot before getting a flat bar road bike, it will be bumpier and have higher gears.

There's a lot more but, this is already too long.

edit: When I reach that efficency level that lets me keep going I ride all day and half the night or more. I tend to eat better food and less junk away from the house.
That works for me considering I was pedaling all day too.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 12-21-07 at 04:32 PM.