Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you wear bright jersey's ?

My husband refuses to wear the neon bright yellow or orange jersey's because he thinks he will look like a geek in his riding group. I wear the bright jersey's, in a group or not, because I want to give myself the best chance of NOT getting hit. My husband is a MUCH better rider then I will ever be, but does that mean that he can get away without wears bright clothes? He does usually wear a red jersey or something similar.

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

I am not afraid.

Jim

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, the louder the better as far as I'm concerned. I don't worry so much in the middle of a bright, sunny, summer day, but early morning, late in the day, etc. I want to stick out like a sore thumb.

My wife and I tend to buy each other the most disgusting and humiliating jerseys we can find ("Old Guys Who Get Fat in The Winter Racing Team", "Hill Slug", etc.)

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not wear one of those road worker's vests you see some cyclists wearing (God bless 'em), but, I do buy the brightest coloured cycling jerseys I can find. Those cagers need all the help you can give them to see what's on the road in front of them

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you've had a rented RV or a lumber truck brush you left knuckles, or some knucklehead make a left turn in front of you.....well, there are times I'd be willing to blink on and off in neon. My taste says wear subdued; practicality says be seen. Too bad current cycling fashions reflect darker colors in many cases.
    Especially on darker, gray, overcast days. I often think white is a very visible color.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not wear jerseys, because I'm a Fred, and we're not allowed to wear jerseys. That said, I collect brightly colored short and long sleeve tee shirts in solid colors (red, yellow, orange, mostly) on sale, and wear those for cycling. I also have a bright yellow jacket that I wear in the winter time that gives me the appearance of a safety patrol guy or perhaps a chilled lifeguard. I am constantly scanning for the Fashion Police, who will surely skip the citation and haul my sorry butt to jail, but so far, I've been able to avoid them AND cars, busses, RVs, and the like. My helmet, oddly enough, is black and matches my bike, which is fairly unFred-like and something I can't explain. I think the LBS guy picked it out for me.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Iron City
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Fastback Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bright's the way to go - the more visible, the better. I trust myself; I don't trust drivers and their thoughts when I'm on my bike, especially now with driver's having cell phone conversations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran some tests back in the late 80's that might interest people:

There was a section of weaving road through a forested area of light and shadow.

Wearing dull colors which were popular for road cyclists at the time:

I noted that traffic approaching from the rear would come very close to me, notice me and you could hear them veer away at the last second. I was catching them by surprise.

Wearing bright colors such as reds and yellows:

You could hear the traffic approach and you could hear them veer away further back but nevertheless often I would be catching them by surprise.

Wearing Dayglow:

I NEVER heard the veering of their wheels. They noted the presence of a bicyclist from as far back as they could see me and would have planned to pass safely so that they didn't need to veer away at all.

Over the intervening years the contrast is somewhat less because autos are more used to seeing cyclists these days, but the basic premise still is there. Very bright dayglow colors allow the car drivers to see you at a much greater distance and in varying lighting conditions and hence allow them to plan and pass more safely.

This doesn't change the actions of driving jerks mind you who will STILL pass closely.

And it doesn't change the reactions of drivers of questionable skill who will stare at a bicyclist when passing because they want to make sure that they give clearance. What you look at you will steer much closer to, so these people will unwittingly (nitwittingly?) pass much closer than necessary.

But when drivers know you're there it absolutely gives you improved chances of not being struck accidently.

Due to drivers being more used to cyclists these days I often wear just normally bright colors but whenever there's the chance of reduced visibility I always wear dayglow.

What's more, the most easily seen color by men is PINK! I assume the same applies for women. Pink is a color that doesn't occur very often in nature and so men can see it a very great distance away even in quite small portions. I could probably make a crass comment about that but I won't.

So I have dayglow yellow-green jackets and vests and when I can get them dayglow orange. Every once in awhile you can find a dayglow version of blue or red such as "electric blue" or some such. But not very often. Actually I'm sort of surprised that dayglow colors for foul weather gear are so limited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely--Well, I don't wear jerseys at all, because it smacks of putting on pads and a helmet to play catch with your kids in the park. But I do wear the brightest T-shirts I can find. I won't go down the driveway without my neon, especially this time of year, and I don't give a @#$# how it looks to the death-wish trendsetters in their fashionable black.
    I live in a rural area that's becoming suburbanized, and a lot of cylists commute into town (Reno, Nev., 10 miles away). It's dark until about 7 a.m. these days, but almost every one of those jackasses wears black tights, black or dark silver helmet, black pack or panniers and dark jackets. Even though I'm on their side, aware they're out there and look carefully for them, I'm surprised once or twice a week by somebody looming out of the darkness 10 feet in front of my headlights. Personally, I think anybody who rides in traffic without the brightest possible clothing ought to be locked up for his own protection. I don't care if HE gets killed, but he'll screw up my insurance.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 12-20-05 at 02:53 PM.

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well with my studly pear shaped body, you won't catch me in "bright multi-colored" items but I do wear "bright blue" and "bright yellow" jerseys. My helmet is Red/White/Blue and my jacket is blue but it's got reflective striping all around it. Don't think it hurts to be bright as possible, especially if you use bike paths that cross busy metro intersections, that last !@#$%^&, wanting to turn left, seems to be BLIND and always in a hurry!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixed multi-bright colors are very similar to camouflage. Those jerseys with all the designs are much less likely to be seen than bright solid-colors.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Dayglo! My wife and I are constantly amazed by the number of riders who are almost invisable due to the current Bike-Fashion-look. Black and Blue (ironic in its metaphor) seem to be all the rage. What are they thinking?

Cyclintom's experience matches my own observations - chartreuse (that yellow-green color), neon pink (ever NOT see surveyors tape on a stake?) and International Rescue Orange are the most visable hues to the human eye. They do not occur in nature and we are instinctively drawn to it because there is no more curious or observant creature on Earth than us. I also notice the sound of rear approaching vehicles. Their tires hit the mid-bumps almost every time now that I wear neon.

I do wear an orange surveyor's vest for the handy pockets. When raining, it's a chartreuse polycover jacket. I may go mainly to chartreuse because it is best in low light/winter conditions. Orange is good but in the color spectrum, red "grays out" in low light. It's a hunter-predator thing with us.

Gloves. Ever consider how visable your hand signals should be? I do. Again, I find fashion-over-function to be the norm. I eschew the bike shops in favor of Work-n-More. For 1/4 the price I buy insulated leather flagger gloves with orange panels on the back side. Also, there is a wide chartreuse reflector strip sewn across the orange. They go in the oven at low temp and then they get a good soaking with Sno-Seal. I can tell you that when I signal to turn I get the room and respect I need. They don't blast by me when I turn right and they keep their distance when I turn left.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I consider this to be a serious issue. No fashion statement here - it's about remaining upright.

Coyote!
    IMHO, it's PURE FOLLY to bike, run, or hike on the road without bright, pulsating colors.

I mean, D@MN, it's dangerous enough out there as it is. I implore everyone to take whatever prudent steps to SOMEHOW change the risk equation. Me+bike=201 pounds Inattentive Teenage Male+pickup truck=4500 pounds It's pure Newtonian physics.

My bikes are black and blue, but I'm in bright orange. . .jersey, jacket, AND helmet. Reflectors and blinking tail-light at all times and in all weather. I also tie a strip of that bright orange plastic marking tape somewhere on my stern.

OK, I look like a lollipop, but I'm already pretty busted up [and no longer quite symmetrical] from a lifetime of biking spills and "incidents". . .and mind you, I'm the very model of passivity and non-aggression when I'm on two wheels.

We're all bikers here, but I'll bet you've all been dismayed at just how "invisible" bikers can be as you drive around.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AMEN, Coyote! My bike is - gulp! - asphalt gray. You know, like the weather here in the Pacific NW. Oh well, back in '88 when I bought this bike, it was popular. That's why I don't mind looking like a circus bear on a bike. By the way, with that surveyor's tape out back, you can pretand to be a kite!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably not as brightly colored as I could be but I try and ride smart. I know the roads that are lightly traveled and try to stick to those. My club jerseys, both winter and summer, are brightly colored which helps. Okay I'll admit it, my stuff just happens to compliment the colors of my bike.

The biggest issue around my riding area is not being seen, it's those drivers that see you but are in a hurry and just don't give you as much room as they should. A good cycling friend of mine suffered a broken hip from a crash with vehicle where the lady tried to pass him after following him for probably 1/4 to 1/2 a mile. Go figure.........

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a bright solid yellow jersey or yellow coat. Blinking white LED lights on the front and blinking red LED lights on the back. I've thought about adding a LED light on my helmet. Any advise?

"Pink?" I have a pink stole I sometimes wear with my pulpit robe. Maybe I should tie it around my neck when I ride. It might look great with the Schwinn!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I'm probably not as brightly colored as I could be but I try and ride smart. I know the roads that are lightly traveled and try to stick to those. My club jerseys, both winter and summer, are brightly colored which helps. Okay I'll admit it, my stuff just happens to compliment the colors of my bike.

The biggest issue around my riding area is not being seen, it's those drivers that see you but are in a hurry and just don't give you as much room as they should. A good cycling friend of mine suffered a broken hip from a crash with vehicle where the lady tried to pass him after following him for probably 1/4 to 1/2 a mile. Go figure.........
    I should think most of us are cardrivers, and hopefully we respect bikes, but how many car drivers have you seen that do not cater for them? Not many , but it only takes one of them to not notice a bike and it is ambulance time. I drive 30 miles to work and I regularly see 7 or 8 cyclists at 6.00 am on my way to work.They have bright lights and bright clothing. About 6 months ago, in the summer, I came across one of these cyclists in the road. He had been clipped by a car and knocked off his bike, The 3rd time in a year. Also the second time that the car driver had not stopped. He was wearing bright colours, and had flashing LED's front and rear. The car driver was apprehended as the biker caught the registration no. and phoned the police on his mobile. Car drivers Excuse "I did not see a cyclist"

One of the reasons I ride offroad is to get out of the way of cars. I still wear bright colours though, because If I have an accident, I want the search and rescue to find me. May seem farfetched, But as an ex-mountain climber, I know how difficult it can be to find people out on the hills. I then still have to be seen on the few miles I travel on roads before I get to my Trails. Surprising thing is at night. My top coat(s) have reflective strips in them and they can be seen by candlelight at a hundred paces. That is besides the two rear lamps and the powerful front lamps that we have. The number of times we have pedestrians walk out in front of us in the towns is now getting silly.

The attachment shows how bright the reflective strips can be. The lights on the jacket and the pannier top bag are just reflective strips

Edit addition-- for pastor bob.. In the UK there is an attachment you can put on the bike that is a Red reflector on a 12" extension out sideways fron the bike. Very effective in making the cars that see you get just a bit further away.
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:30 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, plain jerseys, but yellow windbreaker. Most of the year it's too cold here to not go without a windbreaker. In the summer, then a solid, or solid with panels, seems to get the best clearance.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the year it's too cold here to not go without a windbreaker.
    You are kidding, right?

"Most of the year?"

I generally wear jersey only from April/May through September/October.

Anything over 65F.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-20-05 at 02:48 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear bright colored jerseys. including my yellow and blue BF Jersey.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for bright colors here. This is one of my pet peeves. I find it really odd that anyone would design, sell, buy or wear jerseys that are the color of road surfaces. IMHO one should do as much as possible to make sure they are seen by approaching motorists. Nearly all motorists are at times unattentive and may not see folks on bicycles. So, wearing brightly colored clothing might just be the slim edge that you need to NOT be run over!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    Cyclintom's experience matches my own observations - chartreuse (that yellow-green color), neon pink (ever NOT see surveyors tape on a stake?) and International Rescue Orange are the most visable hues to the human eye.
    It doesn't really matter what color jersey I wear, because my new used bike itself is dayglow--those exact three colors, in fact.

Dagna

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear jerseys, but I **do** buy and wear brightly colored t-shirts. I've some almost fluorescent greens and oranges. I rely more on acreage than color for visibility, though - a billboard-sized bicyclist in spandex cycling shorts is hard to miss in any color.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In cool or cold weather, I wear a "screaming yellow" Perlizumi windbreaker.

In warmer weather, I wear either a bright orange, bright red, or bright white t-shirt or a Team T-Mobile Pink or Mallot Jaune yellow jersey.

At night, I wear as much solid white as practicable.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee's latest thread on cycling naked provoked some thought....perhaps vast slabs of pink,white, brown, etc. hanging over a bike saddle would make our presense known, cause drivers to give us a wide berth, and even clear a way through traffic. Wouldn't need jersey pockets because Power Bars could just be slapped and stuck on sweaty buttocks or bellies to be reached for and eaten as needed. I'm sure we could wedge gel packets and small tools somewhere. Finally, most of us would have a real use for those slotted, channeled saddles.

Thanks, Gary.....I think you've really saved our collective a** with a novel safety idea.

***Rely on the BenGayBunch to think outside the box.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast