Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-05, 02:07 PM   #1
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode twenty miles today NAKED...

I didn't have to work today, but i did have to take my daughter to water polo practice, so I brought the bike along to get some riding in before picking her up, rather than making two trips. I also wanted to explore some territory out by her (mom's) neighborhood.

After I dropped her off, I realized I'd forgotten to bring my helmet and gloves. I didn't want to ride without them on the busy, hilly, full of traffic streets in this area, so I went to Plan B, motoring over to a nearby reservour with a paved MUP around it in some old stomping grounds of mine. Here I could cycle without worrying about traffic. Yes, the asphalt is just as unforgiving as any other street if I fell, but I decided to risk it anyway.

I had a glorious ride -- but I felt throughout the ride like I was naked! I couldn't believe how much i was aware of not having a helmet or gloves. And, of course, EVERY single cyclist I saw had his or her helmet on. One old far.. I mean geez... I mean senior citizen on roller blades even scolded me for no helmet!

Well, I didn't fall, I got my twenty miles in, I retrieved my daughter, and I'm home again. And to think throughout my childhood no one wore helmets -- and we took some pretty dumb risks with our bikes, as well. Just ask the kid across the street who broke his collarbone trying to ride as fast as he could down the sides of a ravine back in the woods!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 02:20 PM   #2
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gary,

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! The last few times I rode in November it was cold so I wore my ski helmet with the goggles ready to pull down for the fast descents to keep my eyes from tearing. I couldn't figure a way to clip my little mirror on my glasses. So I rode those days without one for the first time since I was in my 20s. I was convinced I would be rear-ended--- even with my little blinky red light.
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 02:22 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Will never ride without a helmet as the little remaining hair I have, will probably take fright and fall out. Gloves I can just about do without in the summer, but Goggles !!!! no way. Seems as soon as I take my goggles off, I run through a cloud of midges, or a bit of mud will fly up from my wheel.

The surprising thing that I cannot understand is the arguments for NOT wearing helmets. The only reason I can see is that I won't have to keep buying the damn things when I fall off the bike and break them. Now up to 3 in the past 2 years, and the current one took a knock a few weeks ago, so I am using the spare. That is how important I regard a helmet- I even own a spare so that I don't have to rush out and get another new one whenever I damage the new one. Why is it I always fall off with the new one so have to revert back to the old one?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 02:38 PM   #4
KeithA

Bikes:
Ironically, after doing a couple of hours on the spincycle today, I showered naked with the exception of my helmet and cycling gloves. Didn't want to risk injury.
KeithA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 02:43 PM   #5
oldcrank

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
I've been banging my bare head against the wall hoping to build up its resistance to a fall. I'm currently up to 3 sets of 10 on plaster. Hoping to move up to brick in a few weeks.
oldcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 03:05 PM   #6
jisaak
Not So Senior Member

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA
Ironically, after doing a couple of hours on the spincycle today, I showered naked with the exception of my helmet and cycling gloves. Didn't want to risk injury.
My helmet always accompanies me for showers... but then again I have no choice.
jisaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 03:33 PM   #7
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Bikes:
To jisaak,
Just managed to pick myself up off the floor . . . still can't see for the tears!
jcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 04:30 PM   #8
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrank
I've been banging my bare head against the wall hoping to build up its resistance to a fall. I'm currently up to 3 sets of 10 on plaster. Hoping to move up to brick in a few weeks.
You need to strap more weight to the back of your head. And it should be 5 sets.

Feel the burn....
jazzy_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 04:47 PM   #9
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't know about the rest of you but I very carefully opened this post.....I even squinted when it opened up not know what was in store. I took strength seeing that some of you had already read it and actually replied so thought it was safe to take peek.

You just never know what Gary is up to!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 06:45 PM   #10
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Did the same thing one day last summer. I was getting on the bike for a ride into town and noticed a flat, so I patched it quickly and hopped on. About eight miles in, somebody yelled, "Helmet!" and pointed to his head--I'd just forgotten it.
I've been riding as an adult for more than 30 years, and worn a helmet on EVERY ride since at least the late '70s. Putting it on is as much a habit as checking to be sure I have a pump. But I just blew it off.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 07:00 PM   #11
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Keep a spare helmet in the car - they're cheap!
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 07:53 PM   #12
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Bikes:
[Holding a cantaloupe] Here is your unhelmeted head flying along as you ride. [Drop cantalkoupe on sidewalk]. Here is your former unhelmeted head after your fall.

So goes the traffic safety officer who comes to our school. I recall scorning helmets for official (primitive OCP) Campy caps (while riding without a shirt in my lycra shorts) years ago.

Nowadays, both seem equally offensive ideas to me and those around me.

***We may not ride as fast as some of those twerps over in "Road Cycling" section, but our thread titles can get pretty racy!
Old 12-20-05, 08:33 PM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Digital Gee and Friends

Hmm!

View at your own risk!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-20-05 at 08:39 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 08:56 PM   #14
GrannyGear

Bikes:
Thanks Dnvr....DeeGee and Friends now decorates my desktop. You can always tell a man by the friends he keeps.
Old 12-20-05, 09:45 PM   #15
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
My wife and I both test rode a used EZ-1 recumbent yesterday. And, we forgot to bring our helmets. It was the first time we hadn't worn helmets since she forgot hers on a ride last October, and had a crash that resulted in a titanium plate and 7 screws in her hand. Thankfully, in spite of her endo, she didn't hit her head in that crash. We were pretty slow on that EZ-1 yesterday......

But, We did buy it.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 11:30 PM   #16
GrannyGear

Bikes:
Bud,
congratulations on the new addition to your family....if I'm not mistaken, EZ-1 is a fairly upright bent good for commuting, errands....practical bike. I admire your wife's nerve getting back on "the horse" after what must have been a horrendous crash.
Old 12-21-05, 07:52 AM   #17
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Digital Gee and Friends

Hmm!

View at your own risk!

For some reason that makes me HURT just looking at it. I sure hope it wasn't a Century!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 02:41 PM   #18
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm wondering if I can use that picture as an illustration in my Christmas Eve sermon? Even Baby Jesus was wrapped in swaddling cloths! I reveal more than enough in my bike shorts.

Bob
pastorbobnlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 02:59 PM   #19
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Digital Gee and Friends

Hmm!

View at your own risk!
Utterly disgusting picture- not one helmet or pair of gloves in sight. Just goes to prove another point in that although although cycling will improve your Health- it does not always improve the Body (ABS of steel posting?)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-05, 12:29 AM   #20
boonerator
Mountain & road

Bikes: Cramerotti steel road, Trek 1500 (winter bike) Jamis XLT 1.0 Brodie Expresso with Rock Show Sidi. Plus 2 RM Hammers.
Just joined. Almost every day here in Victoria BC, I see someone riding with their helmet dangling from the handlebars, or attached to their back pack.
If I get a chance, (they are usually going the other way), I will ask them if I can have the helmet, they don;t seem to be using it.
boonerator is offline   Reply With Quote