Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I did.

Since we had to go close to "downtown" on an appointment, we decided to take our bikes and ride the rest of the way "downtown" on the Cherry Creek Trail and have lunch at the huge flagship REI building.

Only five miles one way, but those 25 mph direct headwinds completely wore the wife out (she is still recovering from the Shingles). At least the temp was 63F.

So we made it to the REI building on the Platte River, and she stayed there while I pedaled back for the car and came to rescue her. The ride back to the car, with 25 mph TAIL winds, was fun, though.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rollers and weight lifting today for me . . . although if it were 63F I would have definately been on the road. Sounds like you had a good ride. Too bad it couldn't have been 63F and calm winds, as a 25MPH headwind is not pleasant.

And best to the Mrs. for a speedy and complete recovery.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty miles today, and much to the relief of those around me, fully clothed.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 miles Yesterday and I cleaned out my "utility room" on the back of my house today. What a mess... Tomorrow is 27 holes of golf and the 100 mile ride on Saturday. Friday is wide open!!

Glad you folks got in some good miles today. 25 mph winds-UGH!!!

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got off the bike 15 minutes ago. I have a few more days of work and I detest riding in the dark. A short 15 miles but I did some climbing and had a couple sprints so it was a pretty great ride. Wasnt even going to ride today but wifey through me out when I got home early from work. Makes 120 for the week ( Saturday through Friday is my riding week) and just a shade under 4500 for the year. Glad you got ina Denver Ride...50-50 it could have been 20 deg. and that same 25 mph wind. Oh by the way it was 77 here in the OC at 3:30..

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    38 miles today, into darkness and Brrrrrrr cold evening air. No toe booties, and the little piggies got frosty. Three of us, and one light on the front. I had the light, so I had to pull the last 10 miles in.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - 30-miler on my Merlin Fortius from downtown Dunedin to the sponge diver docks in Tarpon Springs, Fla. and back... winds out of the north at up to 20mph, so the ride back south was easy, but going north was a b***ch!

:-)

- btw, some strange animal decided to do the 'squirrel dance' in front of me about two miles south of Tarpon Springs... long body (three times long as a squirrel), light brown with a tail equal to body length and a black face - not a possum, not a raccoon... badger? (looked kinda thin though)... weasel? some exotic on the loose?

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got home from work at 4:05 and barely managed to do my 21.2 mile ride before it got dark. That leaves me within 84 miles of my 5000 mile goal.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    too many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6.8 miles around The Mountain today testing an electronic inclinometer that I am designing for myself and my riding buddy John. Measured the Plantation slope at 8%. Plan to be back tomorrow for around 3-4 laps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48 miles on the Starkey Park/Suncoast Trail today, with an apparent headwind both ways...guess it must have been a crosswind, but it felt like a headwind, and it was strong enough to slow me down. Both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - btw, some strange animal decided to do the 'squirrel dance' in front of me about two miles south of Tarpon Springs... long body (three times long as a squirrel), light brown with a tail equal to body length and a black face - not a possum, not a raccoon... badger? (looked kinda thin though)... weasel? some exotic on the loose?
    Did it have a bushy tail? Might be a fox squirrel. About 3x the size of a regular squirrel, black & red in the fur, and has an apparent 'mask' due to white nose and ears (or at least so say the wildlife websites). Saw one for the first time at Starkey Park just north of you, two days ago. Last night, one was on the bike path and would NOT move, even when I yelled at it. Having seen the squirrel-in-fork picture, I came to almost a complete stop and went around the little b*gger.

There are no short cuts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commuted to work at 5:30 this morning and watched as the wind picked up all day, and thinking what a great tail wind it will be going home. I'm with you Dnvrfox it was great here in Denver today and tomorrow will even be better.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Grand Record, a 70's Bottecchia, Trek 930 and a few others in various states of disrepair.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the North Poles tilt was furthest from the Sun around 12:30 pm here in chicago I wanted to be riding when it happened. I did just 15 miles along the frozen shores of Lake Michigan. At 22 f (-5.56 c) it was a bit nippy but sunny and bright. A wonderful way to celebrate the New Year. The winter solstice is the new year, astronomically speaking that is, right?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    I got home from work at 4:05 and barely managed to do my 21.2 mile ride before it got dark. That leaves me within 84 miles of my 5000 mile goal.
    Thats why I have lights. Back at 6pm out 30 minutes later and 25 miles covered.Only problem was the christmas shoppers in Eastbourne but at least we got Decent coffee at our usual cafe that was open for the late night shoppers.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was warmer in Denver than in sunny(NOT) southwest Florida! 20 knot winds from the north just made my 24 mile ride more interesting. Love the north winds because all the way out on my usual ride, I fight the wind and get a great workout. Most of the way back, I can coast with the wind at my back!

Linux - sounds like you saw a fox. I see them around here (south of Sarasota) once in a while and that's what they look like from a distance. It's the tail that gives them away - being almost as long as their body.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was sunny and brisk (37 F with 7 to 10 mph winds out of the NW) yesterday morning when I went out on a 40 mile ride. I was wearing shorts and old wool leg warmers below and a T-shirt, old long sleaved wool jersey, and wind shell above, full-fingered gloves, and thermal cycling socks. About two hours later when I got back it had warmed all the way up to 43 F. Everything was plenty warm except for my toes. It took awhile to get full feeling back. I probably should have dragged the shoe covers out.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10.62 miles on my regular exercise ride yesterday morning. Time 5:20am temp 23F. Got in a good ride time was about 2 minutes slow because I got stopped at 3 of the 4 major lights I come to. Felt very cold, but had new Trek windstopper overgloves. You wear them over your normal glove. I have found my Italian gloves good to about 30F These new overgloves really work well, my fingers remained nice and warm, my jaw froze, but my hands were warm.
    Brought the new Trek 5200 home, pics soon. Plan to take it on first ride Sat. morning, will not be a long ride as we have 14 people coming to dinner, but I want to ride it in daylight first. That way I can get accustomed to it and literally "see" how it all works.

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to ride every day, moisture and wind permitting. After a lovely breakfast with the wife and friends, I took the "new" Miyata out on its shakedown ride. Threw a chain (off the small cog in back, of all things), but still had a wonderful ride -- in shorts and nylon top! At almost 60 degrees F on December 21st, it doesn't get much better.

Jim

My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get in 27 miles but the trails were really messy down here, lot's leftover snow, slush and even some pretty serious mud!! I had to cut short my intended route as due to Interstate construction of access road, they've buried part of the paved trail I was riding with 300ft and 4-6in. deep mud! :O I live in a apartment and don't have a way to throughly clean the bike, best I can do is wipe it down so it can go on the stacker rack in our bedroom so I "stayed out" of the mud. We had a bit of cold wind, otherwise it would have been a excellent day for more miles.

Happy Holidays!
    BJ & Jo Ondo
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrid
    "We ride just for the FUN of it"!
    http://bj-joondo.tripod.com/bicycle.htm

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't going to ride yesterday, but then I went out to get the paper--at 6:30 it was quite warm and the sunrise was spectacular, all flames and clouds. When I finally got ready and went to ride to work, it must've been in the low-to-mid 70s and then when I left work it was probably around 78. It was very balmy, with a zephyr-like breeze, absolutely perfect for riding. Kinda wierd to be quite this balmy this time of year; it felt like a late spring day!

Last week it was f******* cold (around here "cold" is in the high 40s). My knees just cannot take the cold. But yesterday, man, I wish I could've ridden A. Troll Style--nekkid!
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only got in a short 9 mile ride on my lunch hour, but every little bit helps. Sort of a mini vacation from work.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Thats why I have lights. Back at 6pm out 30 minutes later and 25 miles covered.Only problem was the christmas shoppers in Eastbourne but at least we got Decent coffee at our usual cafe that was open for the late night shoppers.
    I won't even consider riding in the dark among the crazy drivers here any time of year, much less among distracted Christmas shoppers. My wife and I are, however, adding trail bikes to the stable, so next year, who knows?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a spinerval and weights for Linda and me. Too cold

Steve

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a 20-mile section of the San Gabriel River Bike Trail, in preparation for doing the whole thing round trip (68-75 miles) to fulfill my pledge to ride my age in miles on my birthday.

The truth is that southern Californians don't notice solstices or equinoxes very much, because they aren't associated with predictable weather changes: on 12/21 it was 81 degrees here. New to the area in the late 1990s, I overheard my students complaining about how short the days were in winter, and how this interfered with their outdoor plans. I suggested that they demand that something be done to rectify the situation, and at least some of them agreed with me! Damned laws of physics, anyway!

I do love it out here, but after living through forty years of harsh winters in upstate NY, Vermont, and Massachusetts, I do find the natives' reaction to weather a bit. . .quaint.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    36 miles with wife and friends. Winds 15 to 20 and gusty. Temps 56 to 61 F. Mostly sunny. It was a great ride.

Happy New Year to all. I plan to increase my annual mileage by 20% in 2006.

Al

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode only half as much as usual that day. Just a commute to work. At work at 7:30 pm, they came up with a project due the next morning. So it was an all nighter on the longest night of the year.

That wasn't completely bad. It was a fun project, and strangely, staying up all that time seems to have broken the gloom that the shorter days had been bringing on since November.

Longer days rule!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast