My Bikes
    Norco "Citadel" (ink blue/silver)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario, Canada -- 50-plus riders

Hi folks,

Thought I'd help some cyclist here in Ontario get to know one another.

I'm almost 60 and bought a bicycle (Norco "Citadel" comfort style) in late summer 2005. I'm outta-shape and looking to get a little more into shape, as well as see nature along the paths and trails.

I live in the south end of Kitchener near Hwy 401.

I've also created another thread in the "Partners Section" for riders in Ontario..... check it out -- you may find a riding partner.

I notice that Ken Brown has a great web site for rail-trails in Ontario -- http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/

Enjoy....

Duncan

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Duncan. I'm in Ottawa, so we're not exactly neighbours, but it sounds like we're comparable riders, anyway. Your post inspired me to revisit Ken Brown's great site, and the trail that jumped out at me was the Elora-Cataract route. That's not too far from you. Do you have any idea whether that trail is now complete? It sounds like a ride I'd like to do next spring. By the way, if you're planning a trip to Ottawa once winter is over, try to bring your bike. It's by far the best way to get around town in the good weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, a bunch of us from Niagara are going to Cuba for a cycling trip the last week in March. We've got a group discount price on an Air Canada flight flying out of Toronto. We'll be using a hotel, with another group discount, as a home base, then making day trips of varying lengths. As well as local riders, we have a gal from Vancouver coming along, 2 people from Montreal, a guy from Ottawa and a few people from the Hamilton/Ancaster area. Our ages range from 20-something roadies to 70 plus. So you'll fit in. No Americans yet (unless they're disguised so George W. can't see 'em) but they're welcome. If you're interested, email me at mmcgarry@idirect.com.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi marmot and TrailRider,

Nice to hear from both of you.

I used to live in Ottawa back in the late 60s. The paved path along the Ottawa river is probably still a wonderful cycle. I haven't been on it yet -- this summer for sure though.

Going to Cuba !!! ...when you have that lovely paved path along the Niagara River? ... ok. -- lol -- I guess you can ride it just so many times. For those of us who have yet to ride it ... I can't wait til spring. (thanks for the invite, but I'll stick to the local trails for a while.)

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel Rider
    Hi marmot and TrailRider,

Going to Cuba !!! ...when you have that lovely paved path along the Niagara River? ... ok. -- lol -- I guess you can ride it just so many times.
    CR
    That paved recreational path I used to walk attracted me to cycling in the first place. But now it's too slow! Even novice cyclers like myself prefer riding on the road. It's straighter, far faster and "more funner"! As for Cuba, can you say "adventure"! I'm 57 and have no time to waste....

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel Rider
    I notice that Ken Brown has a great web site for rail-trails in Ontario -- http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/
    Thank you.

My Bikes
    Phoenix Ditch Pig, SatRday, Devinci Caribou2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Ken for that information and website. I hope to use it this coming summer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess since everyone is having so much winter fun -- spring can wait a couple more months. (...or are you secrectly itching to get out and ride?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London here; I for one always find myself impatiently waiting for the roads/paths to clear -- looks to be soon! 54 (55 next Fall [oh, well -- age comes to us all]) -- just going into my fifth full season of (resumed after looong lapse) cycling. I havn't yet had (or made) the opportunity, but those rail trails (all of 'em) do sound interesting, as does the new Niagara circle route I've read about. Cheers.