Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderators dissing our forum?

A debate has erupted in the General Cycling forum over whether BikeForums should be categorized by "type of riding" or by the interests of the users.

This post: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...63#post1959763 sums up parts of the debate so far on whether or not a "Clydesdale/Athena" fourm is appropriate/needed/wanted.

The moderator who jumped in says that the 50+ crowd are already clamoring for a 65+ separate forum. Is this so? I've never heard of it...

Your opinions are not only welcome but also requested. Thanks & Merry Christmas!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left my opinion. I'm with you, Far!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been around here some time, and I have NEVER seen a request or a desire for a 65+ forum.

??

BTW, a Clydesdale does NOT have to be fat. A Clydesdale is a BIG person. Many have body fat percentages very low and some rather big muscles.

This is a common misconception of a Clydesdale.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I've been around here some time, and I have NEVER seen a request or a desire for a 65+ forum.

??

BTW, a Clydesdale does NOT have to be fat. A Clydesdale is a BIG person. Many have body fat percentages very low and some rather big muscles.

I can remember someone saying something about an age break for older riders within the 50+ forum, but it never got a reaction.

Agree about the clydesdale bit- One of my riding partners weighs 250lbs. HE IS BIG. If he was 6' tall, you might call him fat, if you could run away from him fast enough. Thing is he is 6'7".

Leave the 50+ forum alone- We don't care if you are short, fat, heavily built or even OLD. Look at some of the other forums and see if They have Birthday rides, or enjoy Pie, or have virtual rides on new years day. Leave us alone as we are happy as we are.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from the General Cycling thread where I posted too. The bad logic of the notion already seems made apparent.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox

How very true.

Many of the former soviet-bloc nations riders would be considered "Clydesdales" today. Not only did they have bodybuilder-sized legs like Ronnie Coleman, they also had incredible upper body development -- arms, chests and backs. And ripped. I've seen firsthand handlebars left bent and twisted after the end of a sprint from these guys. It was incredible, and some of them were over 200 lbs.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I did make a post about a 65+ forum, which Maelstrom conveniently found and pointed out to me.

However, it was tongue-in-cheek.

Everyone who was signing up at 50 or so kept talking about how "old" they were, or gave themsleves names like Old******* or whatever.

Just sort of blew me away.

I was tired of it, because if someone 50 is already OLD, what the HE!! does that make someone 66?

Here is what I wrote:

65+ Forum/Thread??

65+ Forum/Thread?

Hope that got your attention!

We have had a 50+ forum for a couple of years now.

Is there a need for a 65+ forum or thread?

Are the needs of folks 65+ different enough from the needs of those 50+ to warrant separate postings?

I notice that recently almost all folks newly posting are close to 50, but they generally consider themselves to be quite old, "handling" themselves with words including "old" in some part of the handle, or making statements like "older" in their introductory statements. Yet, they seem like youngsters to me.

Perhaps we should start a thread for 65+ and see if anyone posts to it?

Waiting with curiosity for brick bats and cat calls.
    Moral - never write anything you don't want to haunt you in the future.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-23-05 at 03:46 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching the moderators responses and they're for the most part pretty moderate (<-.

But I have noticed that they react too fast to something and too slowly to others. But then perhaps that's a bit of opinion. Though I must say that I think my opinions better than theirs.

Ha! Tom, everyone thinks their opinions are better than ours.

Seriously, though... sometimes we just don't see some threads. By the time we see them, they could be several pages long, which I know can be frustrating to some. But we try... we do try...

Koffee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merry Christmas
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greywolf
    Merry Christmas
    Yep, the house is decorated and trimmed, the packages are wrapped and under the tree, the fireplace is going and I've got two little toddler grandboys climbing all over me. Somehow, 'Merry Christmas' seems be more appropriate at this time.

Gotta go, PaPa duties are calling, so Merry Christmas from here, too!
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a great big Merry Christmas to all. A very happy time of the year and, don't forget, those New Year's resolutions are just around the corner.