I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smelly water bottles

I've been trying to use more than one water bottle and I've found that my less used ones, which were sitting in a cupboard, are smelly, and remain smelly even after a cycle through the dishwasher. Should I just pitch 'em and start a new collection, or is there something I can put in the dishwasher (or sink) that would take away the dingy smell?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try the cleaning tablets that hydration systems manufacturers like Camelbak make or try a very diluted bleach mixture before storing.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I've been trying to use more than one water bottle and I've found that my less used ones, which were sitting in a cupboard, are smelly, and remain smelly even after a cycle through the dishwasher. Should I just pitch 'em and start a new collection, or is there something I can put in the dishwasher (or sink) that would take away the dingy smell?
    I use baby bottle sterilizing tablets and mainly in the camelback. Bottles do not cause a problem after a hot wash in the dishwasher- except they smell and taste plasticky. Can never put just water in them as it takes the taste of the bottle, so always put a bit of Squash in to disguise the taste, or full strength energy drink.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

If they were mine, I'd pitch them. However, I have about 20 freebees from various centruy rides, etc. You may try mixing a thin paste of baking soda (good ol' Arm 'n Hammer) and placing it inside the bottle, leaving it over night or longer. That can often freshin things up. Let us know if this works. We have used it on Tupperware stuff, and it generally works. OHB

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second the baking soda. A solution of lemon juice overnight also freshens them for me. I haven't tasted that strong "plasticky" smell/taste in years...I'd assumed "better" bottles are being made of more inert plastic than the promotional give-aways.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Coromandel Peninsula North Island New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic is to some extent slightly porous and can adsorb organic particles quite easily. These particles can be difficult to remove entirely and will rot in time where there is moisture present.

Here's what I do......

after every ride I wash out the bottle thoroughly with a little detergent added

rinse several times with water

place upside down to drain

leave it out to dry on the kitchen bench with the cap off for at least 24 hours

store in cupboard with the cap off till needed

A bottle that has been allowed to become smelly may be too difficult to rid of the smell and may be best to start with new ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bottles stay open to the air when not in use. I just turn the top over and set it down on the bottle. For cleaning, I use Efferdent Plus tablets. They leave a nice minty taste, errrrrrr, smell.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try five parts water and one part scotch. I don't know if it will reduce the smell, but after you drink it you won't care! Hope you had a good Christmas Gary.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Rocco said... but with the proportions switched around.

D

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to wash out plastic canteens with Vinegar (sp) . Worked great.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PerformanceBike.com has water bottles that (they claim) do not attain the plastic taste. A bit more $$, however.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4341
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two sons and I received Eddie Bauer, aluminum, fluid bottles from my wife for Christmas. The bottles are epoxy lined inside and US FDA compliant. The label claims the epoxy does not 'retain odor or taste'. They hold 20 oz. They can NOT be washed in a dishwasher and they are only recommended for cold drinks. (So a hot tottie is out!) Interesting!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    ...Bottles...smell and taste plasticky...so always put a bit of Squash in to disguise the taste...
    +1 but I use "Sqwincher."

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

Toss the bottles and buy a hydration pack. Mine never smells or tastes bad and I have a well which has zero processing of the H2O. I rinse after each use and hang it up to dry. Twice a year I use the cleaning tablets and let it soak over night. I've used the same one for three years both riding and snow shoeing and it's in great shape. It was worth every dime!

With a pack you can carry more water and it's much much much safer when you drink while riding. We need you to keep those hands on the bars and eyes on the road so we can continue to receive all your thoughtful cycling insights!

Bob

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These do not retain smell and really don't leak as they get older. No drips on your bike or your hands.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store...tegorycode=168

They are very easy to drink out of when you get used to it and easy to hang on to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it: Polycarbonate plastic.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like some others, I always rinse mine after use. But I always store my upside down so any remaining moisture drains to a paper towel I put under it. I've never had any issues with taste or bacteria build-up.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadon
    Plastic is to some extent slightly porous and can adsorb organic particles quite easily. These particles can be difficult to remove entirely and will rot in time where there is moisture present.

Here's what I do......

after every ride I wash out the bottle thoroughly with a little detergent added

rinse several times with water

place upside down to drain

leave it out to dry on the kitchen bench with the cap off for at least 24 hours

store in cupboard with the cap off till needed
    Me too & never had a smelly bottle.
    It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, I checked out the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Co. I'm sure there's some in your San Diego area. That coffee shop has the polocarbonate bottles that will fit the bicycle bottle cages. It holds more liquid than the standard bike shop bottle and its polycarbonate plastic. Price around 7-8 bucks. My guess is that Starbuck's has it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yoh G, what's up with the whining over smelly bottles? Be a man and drink. A little bacteria isn't gonna kill ya. If you run low on water just stop a any local creek and fill'er up. For winter riding, plan a ride past your local nuclear power plant. Stop at the discharge pool, fill your bottle, drop in a tea bag and you're all set. Nothing like some hot tea on a winter day! Do this a few times and you get the added benefit of not needing a light for night riding. Come on G, no more bottle phobia. What's next, afraid to pee while riding? Be a real biker, get with the program.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom cotter
    Yoh G, what's up with the whining over smelly bottles? Be a man and drink. A little bacteria isn't gonna kill ya. If you run low on water just stop a any local creek and fill'er up. For winter riding, plan a ride past your local nuclear power plant. Stop at the discharge pool, fill your bottle, drop in a tea bag and you're all set. Nothing like some hot tea on a winter day! Do this a few times and you get the added benefit of not needing a light for night riding. Come on G, no more bottle phobia. What's next, afraid to pee while riding? Be a real biker, get with the program.
    Tom,

You just got me laugh out loud. Thanks!!!

And I'll try your advice...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
    Gary, I checked out the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Co. I'm sure there's some in your San Diego area. That coffee shop has the polocarbonate bottles that will fit the bicycle bottle cages. It holds more liquid than the standard bike shop bottle and its polycarbonate plastic. Price around 7-8 bucks. My guess is that Starbuck's has it too.
    I bought mine on line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read somewhere that leaving water in the bottle from one ride to the next eliminates the problem. Just rinse and refill when you head out. I've been doing this for years and it works for me. Keeps my bowels cleaned out too! Just kidding - never had an issue with it, and no smell or bad taste.

My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drink 1 gallone of orange juice per 100 km (~60 miles). You can buy it everywhere and store it in your rear bag.
    marmotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmotte
    I drink 1 gallone of orange juice per 100 km (~60 miles). You can buy it everywhere and store it in your rear bag.
    marmotte
    Are you kidding?

1 gallon of OJ would clear my entire system out in about two minutes, and I would need to be near the toilet for the rest of the day!

Wow.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast