Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Snow at last

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snow at last

It has finally come, but all my riding mates could not be contacted for some reason, even though I informed them last week that this was the day for the ride. Nothing for it, so out came the solo
    We do not have much snow in the south of England but what we did have had frozen, so decided to take the Cycle trail down to Eastbourne,(our local seaside resort) as further snow was expected. It was and the first two pictures show the Snow coming in. Cup of coffee and a bun, and time to start climbing up onto the hills. Funny thing was I had a sqeaky chain. The snow, and slush mixed with salt on the road had dried out the chain. Still climbing and time to get the camera out, and the other pictures are views at the Top of Paradise Drive. No more pictures I am afraid as at that point the chain snapped. Time to call the wife andget recovered so freewheel back to my coffee stop cafe and wait for her. Checked the chain when I got back and I had several rivets and side plates about to pop. Another point is that this chain has only been on for 3 months, check what it is and it is a Shimano Durace. The only chain I have ever broken before was a Shimano Durace, and that broke 5 minutes into a 12 hour ride a few years ago- Won't be buying them any longer- I'll stick to my XT chain.
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 04:30 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...that looks spectacular! Sorry about the mishap, but it sounds like you salvaged some good from the day, no? By the way, the term freewheeling -- does that mean coasting? And if so, does that mean you were able to do that because you were at the top of the hill? And, lastly, is your wife, how shall I say, "understanding" of these events and cheerful when she comes to fetch you?

Great pics...felt like I was there!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2005 Pinarello Paris; Avanti Blade Comp; Tommasini X-Fire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had snow in London this morning and some this afternoon, but it wasn't much and it didn't hang around.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Pics!! especially those on the trail with the shrubs and brush all covered. Sorry about the chain. It figures, when your friends aren't about is when the troubles come out.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Wow...that looks spectacular! Sorry about the mishap, but it sounds like you salvaged some good from the day, no? By the way, the term freewheeling -- does that mean coasting? And if so, does that mean you were able to do that because you were at the top of the hill? And, lastly, is your wife, how shall I say, "understanding" of these events and cheerful when she comes to fetch you?

Great pics...felt like I was there!
    Wife is understanding as She was just setting up her new Fishtank I bought her for Xmas and she had to go out and get some plants for it. Freewheeling is coasting but with no effort what so ever on the pedals. Pretty pointless with no chain. It was a 600ft drop in 1 mile-400 in 1/2 a mile so if I felt like chancing it- it could have been a fast freewheel, but conditions were not too good.

Attachment is of the same area on top of the hills taken back in the summer

By the way- The brakes did not work with the continual slush and salt on the rims, and the cold weather not warming the blocks, so yet another reason whty I did not let the speed build up, So I went down the hill at about the speed I climbed it.
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 04:30 PM.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Attachment is of the same area on top of the hills taken back in the summer.
    The summer shot is so much more appealing to look at right now -- but congrats on the snow and to the safe ending of your experience.

I can't wait for warm sunshine, green grass, flowers, blue skies, and light clothing to return once again.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful - i can use some of your gusto, when it's a bit wet, cold or dark outside i tend to chicken out.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam,

I keep looking at the snow here in New Hampshire and dream of riding the 15 mile dirt road loop with 800 ft elevation change (twice)--- but now you've convinced me to let the Cannondale stay parked in the warm house. Snow, winter road sand, salt, bad breaking, and the chore of cleaning the bike inside after such a ride--- will make me keep my snow shoes on. I'm bailing 5 days early on your New Year's "Virtual Ride" (unless you let me count 20 miles on my attic trainer?).

Your dedication is inspirational!

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who doesn't want the snow, please send it here. We need it bad! Without snow we have no water in the Summer and the fire alert goes red, the National Forest is closed and let's talk about dust.

Loved those pictures.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A snowy view from my attic trainer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    Stepfam,

I keep looking at the snow here in New Hampshire and dream of riding the 15 mile dirt road loop with 800 ft elevation change (twice)--- but now you've convinced me to let the Cannondale stay parked in the warm house. Snow, winter road sand, salt, bad breaking, and the chore of cleaning the bike inside after such a ride--- will make me keep my snow shoes on. I'm bailing 5 days early on your New Year's "Virtual Ride" (unless you let me count 20 miles on my attic trainer?).

Your dedication is inspirational!

Bob
    One of the joys of riding in the snow, was that once I got off road, I was on virgin snow. Definitely no-one had been there before I messed it up with my tyre tracks. Until I got near the top with a carpark nearby and there were a few mad souls going back to their childhood on the Slopes with their toboggans. It was all dads on them, but obviously they had to show the kids how it is done first.

It was surprisingly warm on this ride but this may have been down to the extra fleece I put on. Boy does extra clothing slow you down.

On the new year ride. A one hour ride, just so we can get over the night before and it does not matter how we do it. Only point is that those doing it in comfort in the house or garage on a trainer, will have to eat a slice of pie to give virtual sustinance to those actually doing the physical bit. In fact 2 slices will be better, then you will have to work a little bit harder to lose the gained calories.

P.S. Best thing you can do with your attic is board it up. With a view like that I would spend most of my time there, and it would be just gazing out of the window instead of working the trainer.

Spike Milligan