Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm Feeling Great! How About You?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 08:20 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

* My heart is once again beating regularly.

* My endurance is increasing.

* My Neuralgia pain has almost disappeared, and I require only occasional meds.

* My blood pressure is doing fine.

* My cholesterol is great.

* I have loads of energy.

* I have ridden every week of the year (except one - during my heart procedure) this past year.

* I have increased the amount of weight I am able to lift.

* I have started a stretching program that I have needed for a long time.

* I am doing a lot of singing, including solos, something I never had a clue I could do one year ago.

* I am the starter and moderator of a new (successful) bicycle support group.

* My wife is almost over her shingles, and feeling loads better (after almost 4 months).

* Our family will be with us today, Christmas Day.

* I lost a lot of weight this last year - gained 5 pounds back, but am losing it again.

* I've been leading bicycle rides and walks, something I didn't even suspect one year ago.

* I have been doing more photogtaphy and creating (and displaying) better computer-composed pictures.

* My sisters and my mom (93) are doing great.

* We are doing OK financially.

* I have made it to 66 yo, beating my dad by 5 years, which is sort of a surprise to me.

Those of you who sometimes complain how old and tired and out-of-shape you are at 50, and feeling that life is about over, take heart. There is hope!

Got to go wrap that last-minute present!

So, how are you doing? How is life treating you, and how are you treating life? Please share with us.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-25-05 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-25-05, 09:22 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great, DnvrFox. I can relate. It was my first full year of cycling, and I had a great year, too. It was the year that I outlived my dad, as well.

I really feel great, and lost most of the extra weight I was carrying. My blood pressure, which was marginally high before I started riding, has been 114 over 70 every time I've checked it recently. My only two doctor visits this year were for prescription refills (the VA will only renew prescriptions for six months without a doctor visit) for the acid blocker for my acid reflux, and an anti-inflamatory for my back. The doctor marvelled at my last blood work, mentioning how well the cholesterol, blood sugar, kidney and prostrate function, etc looked.

That was much more enjoyable than my doctor visits the last few years had become. After I mentioned my cycling, the doctor and I ended up talking longer about cycling than we had about my health. Works for me....

I had already added stretching and floor exercises for my back, and this year I took time to educate myself some about nutrition, and improved my eating habits a lot.

I'll second what DnvrFox said about feeling great and having a better energy level. You never know if any of this will make you live longer, but I'm certainly going to be more active and enjoy my time here more because of my cycling.

Best wishes to everyone else on the forum, as well. I know there are times when you don't see the progress or suffer setbacks, but if you stop and take an annual look at things, like this thread is doing, you'll see how much the cycling is helping, especially when you compare yourself to the non-cycling people around you.

I've drawn a lot of inspiration from this forum. Thanks, everyone.
Old 12-25-05, 11:06 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dnvr & Bud Bent,
Fire burning, tree lit, waiting for the "kids" to get here. For which I am very thankful.

God's help and your own dedication, initiative, and toughness have brought you both to Feeling Great about things. Maybe throw your hands up in the classic gesture of triumph (no hands on a bent?). You've earned it. You've probably have also earned an extra slice of Christmas dinner pie. Merry Christmas to you and all personal achievers at BF!
Old 12-25-05, 11:17 AM
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm feeling fine, but never was feeling bad. I can't seem to do much in the way of miles during the cold. Today I went out when it was below freezing with a bit of a headwind. I got tired really quickly but then again, at least I was out there. Instead of my usual routes, I explored places I'd wondered about, but had never gone. Worth the effort.

I got attacked by two dogs, but terrorized them off. I hope they will leave the next bicyclist alone.

Me, I'm hoping to keep in sufficient shape to do my first century next spring. I've recruited one other newbie and got a strong maybe from a friend who used to think 100 miles a pleasent way to spend the time after work. Then he got a family....

Overalll, I've gone from weights only last winter to weights and bicyling. While I'm not as strong in an absolute weight lifting sense, I'm darn close but feel much better balanced.
Old 12-25-05, 12:20 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dnvrfox - you serve as an inspiration to overcome obstacles, to rejuvenation and to see the positives in life. I wish you continued happiness and health for the coming years.
Old 12-25-05, 01:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good post, DenverFox and others!

I'm getting ready for my Christmas ride. My children are already up and gone, off to spend the rest of the holiday (and year) with their mom and step-dad. I've had my few moments of feeling lonely and sorry for myself, and now it's time to pick it up and get it on!

I'm not sure if my list would be as long as Denver's, but then again, maybe so. It's a great exercise (no pun intended) to pause now and then and count one's blessings. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- this forum is a blessing and a joy for me. I wouldn't even be contemplating a Christmas day ride were it not for this board. Thanks!

I am grateful for my children, my health, the wonderful area I call home. I'm delighted to have discovered the thrill and fun of cycling. I am happy to have new goals and challenges and aspirations. I'm proud to have published a book this year, have a fairly good business year, and several pairs of pants which no longer fit me properly.

Okay, I'd better saddle up. The sun just broke through the marine layer and the quiet roads are calling. See you all later.

Merry Christmas!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-25-05, 02:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nearly the end of our family christmas day, and looking back on the year, not just the day, and all is fine. 2 daughters nicely settled in with their partners, and Eldest fell out of one rotten job, but straight into a superb one. Youngest still at Uni but in her final year, but job lined up with two companies in June.
No health problems within the family, which makes a change, and finally- I did get the riding gloves- so out tomorrow to see how good they are- or might make it tuesday if this evening gets a bit heavy.

May take a different slant on riding this year, and although still offroad- instead of the enduro rides- may take in a few Polaris events. 2 days offroading with a lot of map reading to get to checkpoints. Normally held in some desolate landscape, so self sufficiency taken to the extreme. Sounds Fun but I might sober up next week.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-25-05, 04:01 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm feeling good Dnvrfox, but brother am I out of shape. We finally got some warm weather here, so I went to a trail. I took two warm up laps on the easy trail. And that was it! I was wheezing like this was my first ride. I guess I'm gonna have to get used to riding in the cold to stay in shape. Hope you and all the rest of the fifty plus gang had a great Christmas.
Old 12-25-05, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Empty house again after two days full of family, guests, laughter, love and good times.

Several empty glasses still on the tablecloth only serve to amplify the silence that has returned once again. The contrast is startling.

The Mrs. is already in bed. She works from 11-7 (nurse). The real impact of a first-year empty nest will be driven home tonight.

I'm beginning to realize the importance of exercising the soul, not just the body. An unexpected Christmas gift in the form of newfound wisdom.
Old 12-25-05, 06:07 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sweating and cooling down from my 4.6 mile run through the oil tank farms south of town. Beautiful evening here in central Oklahoma with clear skies and mid 50's.

I'm fat as a little toad, but my 22-year old son and the girl he plans to marry this spring are here with the wife and me for Christmas. I'm healthy and have a great family. I don't know why I have all this, but I'm thankful for each and every day. At 55, I know that these days will end eventually, but I'll be damned if I am going to gripe about it. I'll just remeber these great days.

New locally laced hand-made wheels for my U08 are going for a 30 mile shakedown ride tomorrow!

Tyson Branyan
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 12-25-05, 06:34 PM
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a ride too today. When I got to where it was about 4 miles to my house, I decided I hadn't had enough so I diverted to add a few miles to my trip.

On the way, I passed an old fat guy doddering down the street walking two toy dogs. Later, at home, I wondered if my fate was to be that old guy barely able to walk in the company of two nasty yappers. This guy was vulnerable as a baby to anything which came along. I think I'd sooner die than be like that guy.
Old 12-25-05, 07:17 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
So many blessings have come my way I wouldn't even try to list them and elaborate as many of you have done so well. However, I am very excited about what the future holds for my family and for the upcoming cycling challenges that are in front of all of us.
Old 12-25-05, 10:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As a co-worker once told me: "When I wake up in the morning and put my feet on the floor beside the bed, I count my first blessing of the day!" AMEN!
Old 12-26-05, 06:26 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Preach it Fellow Bikers! Preach it! 1225 miles and 30 lbs lighter! I look forward to my Doc's reaction at the annual physical. Amen!

(P.S. My wife can't wait for me to set up her Christmas present tainer today. I can't wait to see her sweat!)
Old 12-26-05, 08:08 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Pastorbob-My Doc loves for me to tell him my cycling story every time I see him. He jokingly tells me he wants to take me to a seminar and show me off to his fellow physicians. After 12,000+ miles My BP is down from 140/90 to 120/70, cholestrol from 240 to 165 and weight down from 220 to 170. He tells me he only wishes he had my stats now.
Old 12-26-05, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember, if biking had NO health benefits, it would still be GREAT!

IMHO

Tyson
Old 12-26-05, 12:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by TysonB
... but my 22-year old son and the girl he plans to marry
... I'm healthy and have a great family.
... my U08 ...
Tyson, you and I have so much in common, it's scary!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-26-05, 12:09 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I'm Feeling Great! How About You? ... So, how are you doing? How is life treating you, and how are you treating life? Please share with us.
Thanks for sharing, Denver. One of the great privileges of bicycling is meeting wonderful new friends, in person or on the Internet (or in your case, both ).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-27-05, 07:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slide
I took a ride too today. When I got to where it was about 4 miles to my house, I decided I hadn't had enough so I diverted to add a few miles to my trip.

On the way, I passed an old fat guy doddering down the street walking two toy dogs. Later, at home, I wondered if my fate was to be that old guy barely able to walk in the company of two nasty yappers. This guy was vulnerable as a baby to anything which came along. I think I'd sooner die than be like that guy.

You never know when a door opens! Maybe that old guy saw you, went home bought a trainer and in the Spring you will see him on the road racing you to the corner.

I am thankful every morning when I wake up. How can I not be, great husband friend and partner, wonderful location to call home, good friends and family, great little dog & cat, both Moms still in good health. It's all good.

Thanks for the post Denver, it made me stop and say Thank you once more this morning!
Old 12-28-05, 12:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a very inspirational thread, Dnvr....thanks for starting it! Last September, I had open heart surgery to repair my mitral valve. The operation went well and I had a fairly easy recovery. I'm pretty much back to a normal routine. While waiting for my sternum to fully heal, I rode the trainer a lot along with some long walks. On Christmas Eve day, I got back on my road bike (on the road) and did 30 miles with one good climb. Didn't go fast, didn't go long, but did feel really good! Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to my pre-op level (centuries, club rides) in a few months. But in the meantime, I'm in no hurry - just really happy to be back on the bike. So yes, I'm feeling really great!!
Old 12-28-05, 09:59 PM
Fanatic

Bikes: Priority Ace of Spades single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slide

Be grateful for what you have and don't judge others by their appearance. We are not all blessed with perfect health in this world and it may or may not be his fault that he's in poor health or overweight.
Life is extremely fragile and things can change in an instant. You may find yourself in his "shoes" someday. Live life to the best that you are able with what you are given.