Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completed First Century

At the age of 55 years 6 months and 7 days...less than a week after retiring afer 30 years 6 months and 21 days from aerospace I completed my very first Century. 6 hours 9 minutes of saddle time. I have to admit I was pulled 75% of the way by some very strong " Triple crown riders" from the "BicyclING" forum but still am very proud of myself. I had enough energy to put on two 25 mph sprints after 90 Plus. Of course the strong riders chased me down without sweating a bit but it ws great fun. The Medone performed flawlessly as iy has all year. Next Century I might even pull a mile or two!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FanTASTic, Chuck! Very impressive. You must be very proud. Now go find some pie!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really great. Congrats. I haven't even attempted mine yet.
    Just Peddlin' Around

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No stopping now, and it is surprising how quickly the annual milage clocks up after a few centuries, But I would suggest that you did it a bit late- by at least a year with a time of just over 6 hours-- Even if you were dragged along by a few fit riders.

Well done on this ride but what's the next one?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations . . . I wish you many, many more!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, I'm still dreaming of my first this coming year and here you have already done one. That is a terrific achievement.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why you DOG you!! Congratulations on a great achievement. I hope to do my first this year.

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "U rock..DUDE"...hmmm methinks a youth invaded our space! Go Get em Denver...I thought once you did a Century you put the Bike away and started a new hobby...perhaps cliff diving.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
    "U rock..DUDE"...hmmm methinks a youth invaded our space! Go Get em Denver...I thought once you did a Century you put the Bike away and started a new hobby...perhaps cliff diving.....
    A review of this person's posts so far reveals a mtn biker type with generally flip, casual, short, and generally non-informative nor beneficial answers.

Definitely NOT a 50+r.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-28-05 at 08:31 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the age of 55 years 6 months and 7 days...less than a week after retiring afer 30 years 6 months and 21 days from aerospace I completed my very first Century. 6 hours 9 minutes of saddle time. I have to admit I was pulled 75% of the way by some very strong " Triple crown riders" from the "BicyclING" forum but still am very proud of myself. I had enough energy to put on two 25 mph sprints after 90 Plus. Of course the strong riders chased me down without sweating a bit but it ws great fun. The Medone performed flawlessly as iy has all year. Next Century I might even pull a mile or two!

Congratulations!! That's a terrific ride!! Here's hoping for many more safe rides!! What a way to kick off retirement!

My Bikes
    02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!! Very impressive but retirement at 55 is even more impressive!!!
    Just finished my 1st yesterday. Quite a bit slower than yours. Took 8 hours. Did mine solo by circling Lake Arrowhead 11 times. Did get a draft off a truck for about 2 blocks. The first part of the day Cal trans had a downhill section flagged with 2-10 delays. About halfway through the sky opened with a short downpour. According to the altimeter the ride included 8620 feet of climb. Knees r sore!
    BTW I only lost 2lbs, expected more of a water loss than that.

The drivers in Lake Arrowhead seem much nicer than up in Big Bear. After 100 miles only 1 car came close. One trip around Big Bear lake usually invovles at least 10 close calls. It's worse than PCH in L.A.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "U rock..DUDE"...hmmm methinks a youth invaded our space!
    LOL! Not necessarily. I sometimes use that terminology meeself. At any rate, great job! At 6:09, that'd be 16.2 mph. Ya know how many years I did centuries at sub-15 speeds? I'm not saying, but a lot. Stick with that group; soon they'll have you riding even faster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "U rock..DUDE"...hmmm methinks a youth invaded our space! Go Get em Denver...

"onelessbike"
    "Banned."

(NOT my doing, however. Some good moderator discovered his/her multitude of worthless posts, I guess, and also removed them from this thread.)
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmmmmmmmm..........coconut cream !!! and 43 miles today just for good measure !

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    retired @ 55 - nice goin, sounds like you're a natural.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So can you describe the route?

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Chuck! Here's wishing you many more!

Steve

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The route was pretty simple and very flat. Started at the beginning of the Santa Ana River Trail, road down to the beach then North through Huntington Beach and Seal Beach then up the San Gabriel River Trail to small park that just happens to be 50 miles from the start of the trail. 80% MUP; 5% beach residential and 15% PCH. Its a great first Century as PCH and near both piers have re-fueling stations. IF any of you geezers are ever in the OC give me a little warning and I'll take you. In the summer its a girl watchers paradise !