Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Posts
    7,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be today's.

    I did my first annual Balboa Park Fountain to Cabrillo National Monument loop (tried once before and made a wrong turn and ran out of time so I didn't reach the lighthouse). 43 miles, door to door, so I did some neighborhood miles to make it an even 50.

    Anyway...got started, swept through Balboa Park, drifted downtown, cruised around Petco Park, turned toward the harbor past the convention center and ran smack dab into...

    the 2005 Holiday Bowl Parade! Thousands of people! Use the very route I intended to take (Harbor Drive)!
    As I got there, the bands from the University of Oregon and Oklahoma filed past. There was actually enough room to "safely" ride (slowly) alongside the parade -- and soon, people acted as though I was IN the parade, and began waving at me!

    Oh -- and by coincidence, I was wearing a short and long sleeved tee shirt, giving me the color scheme of USC -- playing next week for the national championship!

    The funniest site was those little Shriner cars, and one clown (literally) who couldn'dt get his miniature tow truck pulling a miniature car to start. He tried and tried and tried as float after float went by, his own group wayyyyyy down the road. Finally gave up. It was so sad -- he had waited all year for this. But to see this guy in his purple hair trying to get that little truck started...I was SO sorry I hadn't brought my camera!

    After that, I got into a bit of hills on Pt. Loma, and much to my chagrin, gave up on one and started walking what turned out to be the final 100 yards (the bend concealed the crest). Darn! I would have kept going!

    Last thing to report. At mile 28 I stopped for lunch and, being a Big Stupid Idiot Who Does Not Ever Learn, I ordered a burger and fries. Well, that made the next 22 miles a living hell, with a tummy that felt like it had more helium in it than the floats in the parade, and a steady toot! toot! toot! that would have really ruined the ride for anyone dumb enough to draft with me.

    Other than that, the ride was just pretty fun. But joining a parade was a highlight!

    So..what was ĽOUR Strangest Ride of 2005?
    Last edited by Digital Gee; 12-29-05 at 05:02 PM.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

    Proud member of the original Club Tombay

  2. #2
    Senior Member marmotte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Heidelberg Germany
    My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    ...started walking what turned out to be the final 100 yards... I ordered a burger and fries. ... that would have really ruined the ride for anyone dumb enough to draft with me....the ride was just pretty fun.
    I think it could have been a highlight day for me to be with you for that ride! I can feel my strength vanishing a 100 yards before highest point (as I felt many times before), I did eat worse things like burger and fries (oily fish. I drank the oil, too). I would have liked drafting with you (we have 20 cm snow).
    marmotte

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee; I had a burger and fries AND a HOT apple pie at Mickey D's at mile 65 of my first Century ! OTher than a tiny bit of heartburn it fueled my next 35 with no problem ! Funny thing is I havent had a Big Mac in 10 years !

  4. #4
    Cycling Anarchist Trsnrtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,114
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    the 2005 Holiday Bowl Parade! Thousands of people! Use the very route I intended to take (Harbor Drive)!
    As I got there, the bands from the University of Oregon and Oklahoma filed past. There was actually enough room to "safely" ride (slowly) alongside the parade -- and soon, people acted as though I was IN the parade, and began waving at me!

    Oh -- and by coincidence, I was wearing a short and long sleeved tee shirt, giving me the color scheme of USC -- playing next week for the national championship!

    The funniest site was those little Shriner cars, and one clown (literally) who couldn'dt get his miniature tow truck pulling a miniature car to start. He tried and tried and tried as float after float went by, his own group wayyyyyy down the road. Finally gave up. It was so sad -- he had waited all year for this. But to see this guy in his purple hair trying to get that little truck started...I was SO sorry I hadn't brought my camera!
    I had a similar experience about a year ago. I was riding through East Peoria, IL and traffic was being blocked for a parade. I rode right up to the front and it was a Shriner's parade. A couple of clowns saw me and came over and tried to pull me out into the parade. It was really funny.

    -Dennis
    Dennis T

  5. #5
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,119
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably one of the Blackberry Cobbler rides-25 of us were going through a really small town at the 40 mile mark and they were holding a 5k run on the streets. A Patrolman was in his vehicle behind the last runner who was struggling. She was trotting/walking (like what I'd be doing). He leaned out the window and angrily told us not to dare to pass him. While we were in no hurry, it was obvious it was going to be a while as this was a one street town. Maybe it was his wife???

    We all pulled over to the side sort of stunned by his behavior. Very soon after, his boss came riding up in another patrol car and told us it was okay for us to go ahead through town but we told him about what the first officer said. He shook his head and had a discussion with the other officer. We decided to not push our luck and stayed back out of the way until it was clear.......

  6. #6
    loves rail-trails bikingbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toooooooo funny about people thinking you were part of the parade in your USC colors...!!! Thanks for sharing!!

  7. #7
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer, one evening, after changing out the shifters on my wife's new bike, I was testing it up and down our long driveway (about 400 feet). I was shifting through to the higher gears and gaining speed (about 25 mph) as I headed towards the road. I was about 100 feet away from the road when I heard a tremendous crashing sound through the woods--- and the sound was coming in my direction! I caught a flash of brown through the trees and it was moving fast! My heart was double pounding because I was convinced a BULL MOOSE was charging down the driveway and I was in his way! I slammed on the brakes! I was about to jump into the bog! When THE MOOSE cleared the trees--- instead of Bull Winkle it was two neighbors galloping their horses on the road. I nearly _inkled my spandex shorts!

    Bob

    P.S. The picture is of a moose in our driveway and I would never ever want to be in his way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Email for new group DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Posts
    20,887
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My strangest "incident" while on a ride was the car who lost a front left wheel on the roadway a few feet higher than the bike trail and just to the right. That wheel came off the car at 40 mph, bounced on the berm, and whizzed by my head heading into the river on my left.

    Tends to get one's attention!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

  9. #9
    Senior Member lookinUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christmas Eve in Orlando... visiting relatives for the holiday, we went for a quick bike ride in the afternoon. About 7 miles into the ride, I felt a bite on my leg and brushed off the ant that had bitten me. Around mile 14, the palms of my hands were itching and by mile 18 I was itching all over. We got to the house and I asked for a benedryl. Took it and went into the bathroom to take a shower. Arghhhh.... my body was covered all over with red blotches - I was having a serious reaction to that ant bite. (It was one of those famous fire ants)

    Fortunately my breathing was OK, so I declined a trip to the emergency room. Took another benedryl which totally knocked me for a loop. Went and laid down. Wasn't sure whether it was the ant bite reaction or benedry that made me feel like I was drunk, and in my semi-delerious state, I was thinking how it would spoil Christmas for my family if I were to die on Christmas Eve. My sister, rightfully worried, checked on me every 15 minutes for the next 4 hours. Finally, around nine that night, I got up. The itching had stopped and the drunken effects of the benedryl had worn off.

    As drunk as I felt the night before - at least there was no hangover in the morning. Yes, I'm getting an eppi pen to carry with me just in case it happens again and gets (more) serious.

    Since then, I've been spraying my feet with bug spray, just in case!

    Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

  10. #10
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    6,119
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookinUp
    Christmas Eve in Orlando... visiting relatives for the holiday, we went for a quick bike ride in the afternoon. About 7 miles into the ride, I felt a bite on my leg and brushed off the ant that had bitten me. Around mile 14, the palms of my hands were itching and by mile 18 I was itching all over. We got to the house and I asked for a benedryl. Took it and went into the bathroom to take a shower. Arghhhh.... my body was covered all over with red blotches - I was having a serious reaction to that ant bite. (It was one of those famous fire ants)

    Fortunately my breathing was OK, so I declined a trip to the emergency room. Took another benedryl which totally knocked me for a loop. Went and laid down. Wasn't sure whether it was the ant bite reaction or benedry that made me feel like I was drunk, and in my semi-delerious state, I was thinking how it would spoil Christmas for my family if I were to die on Christmas Eve. My sister, rightfully worried, checked on me every 15 minutes for the next 4 hours. Finally, around nine that night, I got up. The itching had stopped and the drunken effects of the benedryl had worn off.

    As drunk as I felt the night before - at least there was no hangover in the morning. Yes, I'm getting an eppi pen to carry with me just in case it happens again and gets (more) serious.

    Since then, I've been spraying my feet with bug spray, just in case!

    Be careful! Don't want to scare you but we lost a teammate at work from one bee sting. We learned that often these bites/sings can have ongoing accumulative effects. In his case even an epi was administered but it could have been too long after the sting--but we're talking minutes........Keep it with you!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course my strangest ride was getting hit in the head with a golf ball... All in all I would have rather been in the parade. But Denver can keep his tire and Pastor Bob can keep his moose ! I don't even want to think about fire ants !

  12. #12
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a memorable ride, but the hardest I did was an organised night ride. Track was very slippery, and traction was a major problem. I think what surprised me was how long it took me to do the ride. 7 hours for a 40 miler. By my standards that is bad, but I did it on the solo, with tyres that did not work for the first half, although they were better towards the end. Proved to me that there is room for improvement on my riding skills,
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  13. #13
    Freewheel Medic pastorbobnlnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trying to Ride in the NH Mountains!
    My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FIRE ANTS! I'm glad I left those tiny monsters behind in Georgia! I was bitten numerous times but never more than a bad itch near the bite. I'm glad you're ok. And FLYING TIRES! That's down right deadly. Glad you're still with us!

  14. #14
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,272
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Has to be today's.
    the 2005 Holiday Bowl Parade! Thousands of people! Use the very route I intended to take (Harbor Drive)!
    As I got there, the bands from the University of Oregon and Oklahoma filed past. There was actually enough room to "safely" ride (slowly) alongside the parade -- and soon, people acted as though I was IN the parade, and began waving at me!

    So..what was ĽOUR Strangest Ride of 2005?
    I guess it would have to be riding in the Big Jingle Jubilee Holiday Parade on December 3. But I was supposed to be there. I rode with the Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas. It was very fun. I recommend it to everyone who wants to have fun and promote bicycling. I'm on the chopper in back with the red balloons attached.


    Other than that, the strangest ride was on Kanis. At one point, this urban street moves up into the hills and becomes a rural street for a mile or so and then descends back down and becomes urban again.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ken cummings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    northern California
    My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Posts
    5,605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going down rough single-track in Annadel Park on my commuter with fraying 700x32 tires and two loaded bags on my way home. Ahead a club of mountain bikers pulled over to let me by. I yelled, "Next time I'm using fatter tires." The leader said, "But that is a cyclocross bike." "No" I replied,"A Bruce Gordon tourer." And disappeared in a spray of gravel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •