I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am SO anal but hey! It works! :-)

Somewhere along the way this past fall, I decided that my first year's mileage goal would be 1,400 miles, or 200/month (because I started in June).

This week, I've been feeling just a little down because it didn't appear I would make the goal. Yesterday I sat at 1,300 miles, so today, I pushed it and rode 50 miles but tonight I'm wiped out. The thought of another 50 miles in the next two days was looking too much, given other things I need to get done.

But then I realized -- I didn't start riding until June 7th! (The anal part is I actually went back and looked at my posts to confirm this...).

That means there were six days I should hold against myself, because I didn't even have the bike yet! And 200/month = 6.67/day based on 30 day months.

That means I get a "40 mile credit" against the 1,400, which means I only need to ride another 10 miles in the next two days to achieve my annual goal, if expressed as a daily goal of 6.67 miles/day since date of acquisition.

And THAT means I can end the year feeling good that I met my goal, and not feeling bad that I came *this* close. Even though I fully realize it's all in my head either way.

And I know what many of you are thinking, and you're right. But hey -- it works for me! I'm the Master of Rationalization!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is how you spend your late night hours-at least up until midnight your time, huh. Miles per day.....got you thinking like an engineer now!!

Would you like for me to send you one of my excel spreadsheets that also has graphs attached to the numbers so you can see where the "actual mileage" line crosses over the "target line" so you can have a visual aide as well? Would you like 5 years worth of data for every ride!!!

Let's see......I spent how much to retrieve the 5 years of data when my hard drive crashed and I didn't have the latest copy backed up??? You're only beginning to think anally.......Not sure it gets any less anal the more you ride!!!

Seriously, what you've done the first year is incredible and I enjoy hearing your enthusiasm and results. Just a word of caution-ride because you enjoy it and quit when it's not fun (unless you're in the middle of a ride and miles away from home!). The goals will take care of itself.
    Last edited by jppe; 12-30-05 at 06:14 AM.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My approach would be:

"I must have a 5% error (to my advantage) in my cyclocomputer"

It is easier than all the graphs.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    My approach would be:

"I must have a 5% error (to my advantage) in my cyclocomputer"

It is easier than all the graphs.
    Gosh, I only wish life was so simple. You know the engineer. Used the rollout method to determine the actual distance for the wheels and accompaning tire pressure so the odometer can be set exactly right. If other folks on a ride get different readings than mine, their readings must be off????

Then again maybe we took different paths around the curves??? Gary just thinks he is anal.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I ride with my children, we all have slightly different readings on our computers. I just know that of the three mine is correct. You see sometimes it is really easy! :-)

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Shoot The Cycle Computer!!!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG.

I just remembered, when I switched to slicks from knobbie, I didn't reconfigure the computer. And I do remember there was a slight difference in my usual 10 mile route at the time. Seems like I got to ten miles just a tad quicker.

OMG.

Maybe I only rode 1,340 miles so far, and not 1,350?

OMG.

Now I'll have to ride 20 miles today and/or tomorrow just to be sure I'm over the top.

OMG.

Which reminds me. Sometime Sunday morning I'm going to have to reset the computer, and if it's like resetting a digital watch, I'm doomed.

OMG.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't reset it.

Keep it going and note the mileage.

It is fun to see your total accumulated mileage on a bike.

Also, count your miles BEFORE you switched to slicks as 120% miles. IOW, multiply those miles by 1.2 to get your TRUE EQUIVALENT MILES.

"TEM" - a new concept in training! Copyright - DnvrFox

Many ways to accomplish a goal!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-30-05 at 10:02 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    OMG.

I
    Which reminds me. Sometime Sunday morning I'm going to have to reset the computer, and if it's like resetting a digital watch, I'm doomed.

OMG.
    Come on- its no more difficult than setting a video recorder. You read the manual- set it all up and record the shopping channel at 3am instead of the Tour De France that was in in the afternoon while you were at work. You have a 14 year old daughter- get her to do something usefull. I still get my daughter to reset all the clocks on the microwave, video, oven and anything else that does not have the sense to have batteries in as a backup for when I unplug it.

Don't worry about a lack of a few miles, they can carry over till next year. Just a thought- Are you going to count the miles on the Beater bike? or is that yet another expense for a second computer that this cycling keeps giving you.

P.S and another job for your daughter to do when she visits.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! I thought this thread was going be about prostate exams

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    Whew! I thought this thread was going be about prostate exams
    I get about as much from that as from cycle computers... Despite that, I got one (a CYCLE COMPUTER!!!) for my birthday in 2K5, and will have to install it on my next bike whether I want to or not. I'm still trying to decide whether to put the aerobars on my tourer just for giggles.