I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tempting Fate

With one ride to go tomorrow (around Mission Bay, weather permitting), I have had but one flat in 2005. I have hesitated in posting this until now. Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Canyon Alu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me they always came as twins this year. I had one during rain, 60 miles from home. The next one was 5 miles later. I was lucky to have always two replacement tubes.
    marmotte

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a similar situation and it was down to quality of tyre. The tandem is heavy and front and rear tyres are pumped to 60psi to stop Snakebite punctures. Bought some new tyres so off came my old faithful Panaracer Fire XC's These have a sidewall that is supposed to stop snakebites. We chased down a couple of solos, and caught them at the top of a hill. They did not give way to us when we went to overtake them so took the alternative path that had a few rocks in it. The rear tyre hit one and down it went. Fixed it got going again and decided to catch them again so pushed on. Fast downhill- hit another rock and another snakebite. We carry 3 tubes by the way. No more punctures that night but next trip out had the front blowout at 35mph and within yards we were down. That smarted a bit- especially as it shredded the tyre and we had to limp down to the nearest pub and await recovery.
    Since then have gone back to the Panaracers and no more punctures, but the ground is a bit softer now, with all the rain, or perhaps we are not going as fast due to being a bit cautious.

Tyre design plays a lot in puncture resistance when off road, but I am glad that punctures don't come in 3's. They wear holes in my wallet with the new tubes I have to keep buying. Luckily most of my punctures show themselves the day after a ride, when I have a flat in the garage.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmotte
    For me they always came as twins this year. I had one during rain, 60 miles from home. The next one was 5 miles later. I was lucky to have always two replacement tubes.
    marmotte
    Yep, I carry three tubes this time of year due to the condition of the roads. I've been on club rides where we've exhausted every available tube due to wet roads and cinders. Right now, I'm averaging about one flat every 90 miles.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    With one ride to go tomorrow (around Mission Bay, weather permitting), I have had but one flat in 2005. I have hesitated in posting this until now. Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.
    Tomorrow's forecast: chance of rain later in the afternoon.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't had a flat on my main bike since March, then had two this month. The last one ended today's ride, the last ride of the year..........sheesh. I was only 3 miles from home, but dark was approaching fast and I knew my wife was at home, so I weenied out and made the sag phone call.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

not the jam
    My Bikes
    IRO Jamie Roy and many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 3 flats this year. All 3 happened so close to home that I just walked the bike home and changed the tube in my garage.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
    Tomorrow's forecast: chance of rain later in the afternoon.
    Ugh. Guess I better get started early. I've heard we're in for a deluge on New Year's Day.

By the way, the only flat I had this year was kind enough to happen overnight at home, to be discovered the next day in the comfort of my apartment. If you have to have a flat, that's the kind to have!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

SeaLevel
    My Bikes
    2006 Trek 7.7 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, I've knocked on wood and my fingers are crossed, but that goes without saying.
    I wish I had known to knock on wood and cross my fingers before reading your post. I just had the first flat on my new bike on this morning's ride...

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My flats come from (in order of magniture of most to least):

1-Tubes failing around the valve stem
    2-Snakebites-inadequate air pressure or hitting bad stuff I didn't see
    3-Base of spoke nipples-replaced wheel tape after consecutive flats on both the front and the back and that fixed it!
    4-Road debris

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been lucky since I got serious about seven months ago. No flats in 700 miles of mostly metro riding. However, I haven't gotten much smarter: When I replaced the original tyres on one of my my 3-speeds, I pinched the tube and ... well, I guess that has to count!