Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Another Bike!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Bike!

There's been a lot of posts recently from newer riders seeking advice on road bikes. Let's see. I've been riding for 5 years and have gone through 5 bikes for various reasons.

I do Time Trials at Lowes Motor Speedway (10 miles/7 laps). I'm not fast but I did finish a respectable 4th in my age group in 2004 and 6th last year (faster guys moved up to my age group). Last year I invested in a solid disc wheel and a tri spoke HED 3 front wheel. On "Game Day" I modified my road bike with Aero bars, a fast forward seat post to move the seat forward to get in a little better aero position and changed the wheels. I don't mind making the changes but it does get a little old making all the changes and then converting my bike back the next day.

I just did a BAD thing. I bought a time trial bike and will probably only use it 9-10 times a year. I ran across a brand new frame/fork/headset Cervelo P2k at my LBS that has bar end shifters/bull horns and was built up with used Ultegra/Durace components. Got a great deal (about half price of a new bike) and couldn't pass it up.

They are also going to fit me on this frame which should help get me a little more aero as well. Hopefully I'll shave off a little time and trim some time off my PR. I'll move up to the next age group in 2007 and might have a chance of actually being competitive in that group if I can sustain my times.

Wow, a few years ago I thought folks were nuts for having multiple bikes, or riding 100 miles or doing a long ride only to have to finish at the top of a mountain.

I guess I'll be on my 6th bike in 6 years......Am I nuts????

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    ......Am I nuts????
    No, you're just having fun.... sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

I assume when you say 5 bikes in 5 years you mean you only have one current bike other than the newly purchased Cervelo. You are now "officially" addicted. There will be more! Soon, you will have to begin ride preparation 10 minutes early just to decide which bike to ride that day. There will be times about halfway through a ride that you will second guess your choice. You will begin spending hours measuring each variable trying to get all your road bikes to be setup exactly the same. Replacing chains will be an all day job. A wash and wax job will make your hands stiff and sore by the time you finish the last bike. You will find a saddle you like, and buy several of them to replace the other multiple saddles you purchased three years ago.... and on, and on it goes.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuttier than a fruit cake in a good sort of way. LOL

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE - Congrats on the new investment! Send a pic of it all set up.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, I see nothing abnormal about your behavior at all. Of course, had you asked me six months ago, I would have suggested an intervention. But that was then, and this is now. Congrats!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move, jppe! Nobody should have only one bike. I have been riding for years and had built up a modest collection of four bikes. A couple of years ago I decided that since I was only doing road riding it was time to make some space and got rid of all the bikes except my road bike. A year later I bought a mountain bike and this month I bought an ActionBent recumbent. For a bike fanatic there is only security in multiple bikes