Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-31-05, 12:35 PM   #1
hawkijohn

Bikes: 06 Bacchetta Giro 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hardcase Tires?

I'm just waiting to test ride (need some better weather) several Trek Pilots - 1.2, 2.1, 2.1 s.p.a. - I see from the specs that the 1.2 comes with 28c race lite hardcase tires. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this over the race lite 25c found on the 2.1 and 2.1 s.p.a.?
hawkijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 02:21 PM   #2
hawkijohn

OK - after searching, the opinion seems to be that they're heavier, slicker on wet pavement but give good flat protection. SO..what's the opinion? Worth the trade-offs?
Old 12-31-05, 02:37 PM   #3
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I would guess that one of the elements that factors in is the type of roads you ride. If you're riding rougher paved roads that have a lot more debris and loose gravel the extra flat protection might be worth considering.

I've never really had an issue with flats from road debris myself but know some here do.

Personally I'd prefer to ride the 25's (or I ride 23's) and keep an adequate amount of air in them to avoid snakebite punctures. I'm not a weight weenie but I do notice when a tire is heavier than another, especially on the hills or if I'm trying to accelarate to catch someone ahead of me.

If it were me, I'd go with the smaller tires and make sure I had an extra tube or two with me.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-05, 02:46 PM   #4
hawkijohn

TNX - I really appreciate that advice. One other factor that discourages me a bit from the hard case tires is that they're reportedly a bear to get on and off the rim. It may just be better to have that tube along and enjoy the advantages of the lighter, better traction tire.
Old 01-01-06, 08:27 AM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppe
I would guess that one of the elements that factors in is the type of roads you ride. If you're riding rougher paved roads that have a lot more debris and loose gravel the extra flat protection might be worth considering.

I've never really had an issue with flats from road debris myself but know some here do.

Personally I'd prefer to ride the 25's (or I ride 23's) and keep an adequate amount of air in them to avoid snakebite punctures. I'm not a weight weenie but I do notice when a tire is heavier than another, especially on the hills or if I'm trying to accelarate to catch someone ahead of me.

If it were me, I'd go with the smaller tires and make sure I had an extra tube or two with me.
Totally agree with this unless you have a special requirement. I run slicks on a A tandem but with 26" wheels so sizing is not the same. On this I do require a slighlty wider tyre than the norm, and it also has to be hardwearing. The tyre I got also has a puncture resistant band- so it is heavy, rubber does not grip, and has increased drag over a narrower tyre. Problem is that this is the spec required for our use.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 08:40 AM   #6
JupiterGuy
SeaLevel

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7.7 FX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkijohn
One other factor that discourages me a bit from the hard case tires is that they're reportedly a bear to get on and off the rim.
I have the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700X28c tires on my Trek 7.7FX, and had to fix a flat for the first time yesterday. They weren't that hard to get on and off the rim with a tire tool, but they would be with just your bare hands.
JupiterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote