Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

stapfam's Jan 1 Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

stapfam's Jan 1 Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 12:28 PM
Older than dirt...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As an epilogue to yesterday's ride. I went out to hang the bike up and found a flat tire. Had a bent thumbtack in it. The tack was very scuffed up so do not know how long it was in the tire. I could have picked it up on the ride or it may have been in the garage from the grandkids. Sure was a lot better at home than 10 miles from nowhere and cold!

This may be my excuse to get a new bike!
Old 01-02-06, 12:36 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8-9 miles on the MTB with friends and the wife who was riding her Christmas present for the first time. A Specialized Sequoia. Nice bike for her, but needs bigger cogs in the back.

Tyson
Cushing, OK
Old 01-02-06, 01:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And I made up for yesterday's indoor ride with a delightful 2.25 hour ride OUTSIDE today!
Old 01-02-06, 02:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
At 10am EST I joined a small group from our club for a couple of easy 5.5 mile laps around the airport. My 10 y/o son came along to try out the new road bike I built up for him. After an easy first lap averaging 12.8 mph, I asked him if he wanted to do another to see how fast he could go. 20 minutes later he finished the second lap at 15.8 mph avg. I felt like Johan Bruyneel shouting encouragement and advice as I followed him around the loop, especially since he was wearing his Disco jersey. I was surprised to see him riding along at 20 mph much of the way. I think he's really going to be fast on this new bike.
Later I rode into town for another small group ride and got in 31 miles for the day.

Before the ride (Dad's bike leaning against the truck).

For the record...

Leading the pack 1 08 06

A Dawg and his boy

Last edited by BluesDawg; 01-11-06 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-02-06, 03:52 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
I missed the New Year's Day ride. Outside ridding would have been dangerous in my part of NH. But I managed 35 miles on New Year's Eve and 25 miles today (1-2-2006), the Official U.S. Holiday, both times on the trainer. Happy trails to all in 2006!

Bob

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 01-02-06 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 04:28 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
At 10am EST I joined a small group from our club for a couple of easy 5.5 mile laps around the airport. My 10 y/o son came along to try out the new road bike I built up for him.
KUDOS BluesDawg! That smile tells the whole story!
He's a lucky kid to have you around. And vis-versa for you.
Old 01-02-06, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
KUDOS BluesDawg! That smile tells the whole story!
He's a lucky kid to have you around. And vis-versa for you.
And his on the bike form looks pretty good too!
Old 01-03-06, 02:43 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I joined the local annual 1/1 club ride that started at 9a with mild temperatures in the middle 50sF with some possibility of rain, that didn't come til 5-6hrs later. This is a tool about downtown, low speed with 5 tandems, about 20 DF singles and me on my recumbent. Nice ride til we hit a light and the leader decided to keep going so made a R and went a block across some RR tracks into an industrial area at about 22miles. I had a natural moment and stopped behind some bushes and a dempster. Saw the group a few blocks away and sped off to catch up when I came on a RR track crossing the road at 30d angle, slowed but not enough to avoid the 6" gap between the road and track that snagged my rear wheel and flipped me through an angle and down. It was warm enough that I had just taken off my gloves and I violated the don't let go of the bars credo as I hit the street. Barked the finger tips and rashed up an oval about 3x4" on the R buttock. Road home at a sedate pace with my fingers dripping blood all the way back (about 9miles). Bummer at the time but no big deal in retro 36 hrs later. Only a few minor aches this am. Looking to ride Wed am but max temp will be 52F, too bad I had to work on Tues when it maxed out at 74F!!
Have to replace the spring cord on the seat though. Nice ride otherwise.
Steve
Old 01-03-06, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer Steve. If its any consolation, I was watching a tape of the 2005 TD France and the peloton crossed a rail track at about a 30 degree angle. Two guys had their front wheels shift suddenly and they both (separated by 15 feet laterally) went down. If that was not bad enough, they were promptly run into and over by several other riders. So, it also happens to guys who are paid lots of money to ride a bike.