User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Older than dirt...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stapfam's Jan 1 Ride

Stapfam, hope you do not mind if I start the thread. I did a 20 mile solo (32K sounds so much better) this morning. Started at 6:52 CST, Temp 35 F and wind SE at 8-10mph. I actually over dressed with layers, but the wind was cold. Rode SE to a little Casey's Store (gas station, Bakery. etc) had coffee and a Pecan Danish. Got home in plenty of time to get ready for church.

Stapfam mentioned in a post keeping the toes warm ... especially with mesh shoes. I used duck tape to cover the mesh. Maybe my handle should be "Never proud" ... especially with the duct tape and my bike below.

Happy New Year to all! Maybe next year I can do this ride in Florida with a new bike! Maybe not!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the ride starting at 3 pm, my local time- I got in a ride this morning on the Tandem. Both of us were feeling a bit fragile so took a steady 25 miler on the road. Usual cafe was still closed at 10am so went to Costa Coffee house and had a ginormous coffee and a toasted all day breakfast sandwich. The sandwich was a mistake but that coffee was good and the mug was a 2 handled affair so was enjoyable.

Still at 1:00pm put a new chain on the solo. And at 2:45pm started the ride. Only a local cycle path called the Cuckoo trail. It takes the route of an old Railway line so no great Gradients but it rained. I have never seen so many walkers, dogs, kids and new bikes on this trail in my life so speed was curtailed somewhat. Stopped at Horam for a Coffee, (A town about 5 miles up the path), but the one cafe had just closed. No problem- next town is only another 6 miles up the trail. Started to see less people, as it was just getting dark (Hence the helmet light in the pic.) Got to the next town and the town was closed. Not one shop open, no cafe's not even a pub open to get a drink. Never mind- Home was only 11 miles away and all downhill. Then I met an old friend of mine that I used to ride with so had a chat, He has had a kidney problem for the last few years, so he hasn't been riding, but may get his old Univega out and come out one of our gentler rides in the Summer.

Not a memorable ride, but at least the cobwebs are blown away.

Edit- The time on my wifes camera is still Summer time, but it was 2:45
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:30 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1982 Steve Bauer road bike, 1985 Custom Campy road bike, 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Norco Bigfoot MTB, 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hour was spent on the MTB for 14km of mostly rail trail, 4" of fresh snow over icey spots, had the studded tires on, temp was around 0c, some ice fog too.
    A great way to start the new year!!
    Last edited by pinerider; 01-01-06 at 11:13 AM.
    ...!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I woke up at 6:30 without an alarm, had a cup of java, and set out to ride. I was NOT very awake, and could only think about how warm my bed was, and how cold it was outside. I figured I'd do a couple of miles (!) just for solidarity's sake.

It wasn't a long ride, but the ten miles through the mist, the wet streets, and the whisper quiet of Balboa Park was quite enjoyable. I owned the park this morning. Hardly a soul in sight, except for the occasional jogger -- and they were dressed much less warm than me!

Got my ten miles in, almost wiped out once (GrannyGear was right -- don't lean too far!), and came home, hoping to curl up on the sofa and watch the Rose Parade. D'oh! It's tomorrow morning!

It was great to ride in a virtual group this morning but you guys were a little mean dropping me like that!

Oh! And last night i figured out how to reset my bike computer and it worked just fine. Even got the clock back on standard time!

So...as of right now, I'm 1.67 miles ahead of my annual mileage goal for 2006. Woohoo!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, until Stapfam's reminder yesterday, I really had not planned to do the ride, but, somehow, I changed my mind and went out for a really nice 16 mile spin - understand that I took an hour and a half to do that distance.

It's been rain, rain, rain around here and there's a lot of flooding going on which made me have to detour from the creek-side bike trail ride I was planning. Went down to the creek and signs were posted to not attempt to ride the bike trail. Duh, it was covered by the creek. Pretty amazing though. Our little creek was now, I'd estimate, a good 80 yards wide at some places. Gotta learn how to post my own pictures so I can share the view.

Ended up cruising neighborhood streets and dipping in and out to the bike path to get more great time by the creek. Wasn't trying to go quickly at all. It was pretty dang windy, but not too cold and no rain fell while I was out on the ride.

Great suggestion Stapfam!!! Made my day.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm the wuss here. Just too nasty out there this morning......so you get instead of crisp snowy pathways or stark dripping branches......the inside of my grungy garage. Be assured, as I spun & watched my Collector's Edition Lance "Big Six" dvd I was thinking of you hardy guys. I know, at the very least it should have been Coach Troy. Nice to know others were sweating along with me at the same time.

Best New Years Wishes................and Stepfam--cool idea.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I said goodbye to the last of the holiday visitors this morning in my cycling togs and was on the road at 9:00. The only way to open roads is to the west and the winds were already hitting 30mph steady. Went 7 miles and thought that was enough to justify my New Years ride and turned for home. Holey-moley! I hardly had to peddle! Which was good. Hitting that wind head on was really a work out. Aero bars are looking good. The winds are now over 40 and the dust has turned the sky red. Good afternoon for cooking and football.

Happy New Year!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode, logged and accounted for.

25 easy miles on a 35F morn with 15 mph winds.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I rode yesterday.

Too windy and cold for us today, so here I am at the gym doing my "New Year's Day" ride!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-12-07 at 12:22 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skipper and I did 20 miles. Had to stop at Baumgartners Cheese Store and Tavern for coffe (skipped the cheesecake although I went back later for a limburger cheese sandwich) as Irma's is closed on Sun. Good idea and a good ride!

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I said this morning in the other thread,
    "29 degrees, wind supposed to get up to 45mph and snow showers But, I'll be one of those on the "rolling" ride indoors and will report mileage. On today's menu, riding 2005 TDF first real mountain stage. Beastie Boy Jens Voigt of CSC will defend the yellow jersey he won before yesterday's restday. Something tells me his time in yellow is limited though . Well its only on tape, but it helps the time pass. "

It did get up to 30 F today but the winds were huge - 37 mph. So it was Jens on the tape machine and me on the torture machine. He finished over 30 min behind on the climb to Courchevel and Lance took the yellow. Me? I managed to sweat my way to 21.6 miles on the trainer. Now, only 5378.4 more to go for the year .

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had absolutely un-New Year's like weather in the Carolinas. Temps were extremely moderate, in fact it probably hit 60 degrees this afternoon. Perfect morning to ride as well with no winds. For a minute I thought Gary and I had changed time zones and I was in San Diego!

I did an organized "Polar Bear" ride (the bears were probably sweating hard today) that benefitted cancer research. I rode the metric century that turned out to be 69 miles because of a detour for bridge construction. I rode it in about 3 1/2 hours and averaged around 19 mph.

Gary-I DID get dropped by a bunch of young hammerheads about 1/2 way into the ride. They formed a double paceline and suckered me right in to it.

The highlight of the day, however, was meeting one of our own-P8rider-before the ride. It was really neat to be able to pick someone out of the crowd by their bike!

The lowlight of the day was I had my new digital camera in my jersey pocket and forgot to take any pics!!!

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Stapfam, really enjoyed riding (virtually) with you. Unlike the sunny, 78 degree day we were promised by the lying weatherman, it was overcast, foggy and cool. There was hardly any traffic and although I know I must have been slowing you down by only riding between 16-17 mph most of the 26 miles, I did the best I could without giving myself a heart attack. In honor of the new year, I donned a bright orange jersey to go with my bright orange Orbea - probably a wise idea in the fog. Looking forward to riding with you again in 2007!

Best Regards, Lookinup!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was late for the virtual ride as my schedule allowed 3:00 p.m. EST as the start time. Did 27 miles with the temp around 57F and a bright sunny day. Unusual for East Tennessee as most of the winter days here have grey overcast skys. Did 25 miles yesterday. Finished the year with 1,300 miles on the Trek Pilot I bought in March and maybe 200 on the Bianchi hybrid before that. Resolved to do at least twice that many in 2006, hopefully more.

Al

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea Stapfam, got 36 miles in on a relatively warm day for Central Ohio, 40F, bit of a head wind heading back. A great way for all to start the New Year. Hope to get another 30 in tomorrow before heading back to work.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As JPPE mentioned, the weather here in the Carolinas was unseasonably warm. I rode the 25 mile segment of the Polar Bear ride to support cancer support groups. The highlight was by far meeting JPPE. It was so nice to meet someone in the "real" world that I "speak" with all of the time in the virtual world.
    The ride itself was my first organized ride and I must say I enjoyed it very much. Wonderful support on the ride, nice people and a good ride. It's hard to beat that sort of day.
    For me it was also a personal best on a longer ride. 24.68 miles avg. 16.3 mph. That's about 1/2mph faster than my previous for that distance. No drafting either. As the crowd pulled out all clumped together it seemed to string out pretty quickly. I rode just behind the hard core group, but rode alone. I seemed to be to fast for the social set and a long way from the hardcore.
    Anyway it was a great day total 33.96 for the day. Thanks for the idea Stapfam.
    Here's to all of us having a solid year of riding in '06
    Last edited by p8rider; 01-01-06 at 05:44 PM.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain turned to snow here on New Years Eve and left roads nothing but dirty slush by morning. I did 20 minutes on the rollers, switched over to an 8-round heavy-bag session, then finished up with 10 minutes on the rollers again. Winter storm watch has been issued for Monday and Tuesday again.

Hit the big 5-0 today -- so now I'm officially 50+.

Here's to a great and SAFE 2006 for all here.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting at 12:30 pm, with a temperature near 80 degrees, and a howling wind, my wife and I rode 19.6 miles on the bike path at River Legacy Park in Arlington. Tx.

It looked much the same as New Year's Day last year, obese folks and helmetless bike riders and skaters everywhere. By February, the resolutions will be forgotten, and the path back to normal.

We were on our new bikes, me on my EZ Rider, and my wife on her EZ-1. As usual, the recumbents drew attention, and we talked to lots of folks, including a guy in a bikejournal.com jersey, and a man who just had to test ride my bike.

The crowded path conditions made us keep our pace slow, but the ride was great fun, and we're thinking about doing it again tomorrow.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice in DC today, got in 22 miles around town. Highlight was mid-ride stop to visit grandbaby who showed off his new sun glasses. Very cool, don't you think. To make it better, his Mom had pie.
    Last edited by tlc20010; 01-01-06 at 07:29 PM.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't paying attention to the Fifty+ forum the last few days so I didn't see Stepham's post until today. All the trails were closed due to the holiday, but as jppe said, it was beautiful in NC today. So I grabbed the hybrid and rode this afternoon for about one hour. I don't know the miles I rode because the speedo malfunctioned. I took a new route which is always interesting but managed to find my way home using the trail of breadcrumbs I leave behind. I went solo because my sons wanted to play some video game. It was their loss as it was a fun ride.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since I fixed up the GFs Raliegh with a new rear cassette/RD with a better low range and got her clipless shoes and pedals for Christmas, she's been itching to get off her trainer and out for a ride with me. She doesn't like riding in the cold, but she jumped at the offer to go riding for the first day of the year. I'd had got her some good gloves, ear warmers and stuff in November, but also got her some shoe covers yesterday so her feet wouldn't get too cold.

I was sooo tempted to take the Fuji, but since she hadn't been on a bike (other than on the trainer) for over a month and I had just got my new bad-weather commuter finished on Friday, I brought the new bike...which I have now decided to call the 'tank'.

It was in the upper 30's and overcast when we took off about noon. We rode over to Silver Creek park and around the area, probably about 20 miles all told. She had no problem staying with me on the 'tank' - indeed there were times I had a hard time keeping up with her! She loved the ride and the cold didn't bother her at all...I'll take a bow for my superior skills at selecting her wardrobe, thank you. She had no problems with her new clipless pedals either, proving the value of practicing on a trainer before hitting the road.

I did get a bit of an 'extra' ride later after we got home, when the dog decided to go for a neighborhood jaunt. She thought it was a game as I chased her for miles on the bike...then she finally had enough and raced me home. All in all it was a great way to start off the new year!
    Last edited by chipcom; 12-06-06 at 08:06 AM.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chipcom...strange, but that B-17 looks familiar. BTW, she's really good looking-- no, I don't mean the bike. I wish you more such enjoyable days.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Chipcom...strange, but that B-17 looks familiar. BTW, she's really good looking-- no, I don't mean the bike. I wish you more such enjoyable days.
    Yepper, that's the B17 that you so graciously broke in for her! Now I gotta get a new one for the tank...though frankly, since it's for bad weather, I may not bother.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former winter hardened Detroiter but now a confirmed Southern California WUSS...I waited until 11:00 am; dressed in 3 layers ...for a 12 mile ride in 55 deg temp ! On the positive side I did average a bit over 17 mph

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot! until about 8 am... Looked outside and the weather had receded for a bit. Ceiling was over the Mtn peaks, so less chance of orographic precip.
    Got out and immediately a light drizzle ensued. oh well...
    in all it was one of those perfect NoEast days, a bit wet but almost no wind, roads without rivers and spectacular lighting (not Lightning!) and clouds. Really quite warm considerin - 50 F -ish.
    Western Weather, when it happens is Spectac!
    Shoulda taken some pics, but it just got past me.
    Rode 1/2 up Old San Marcos to the 1st real outlook; sat and watched some redtails circle below. Then back over to Hope Ranch for a view of the ocean. Surf is hammerin and when the wind dies (maybe Tue) we'll be back in 'Macker Heaven'.
    25 absolutely best miles so far this year.
    Wife thought I was nuts goin out, But when I got back she was ready to go for a walk. The Catz are drivin us nuts! In the house for 2 days and just being total pains-in-da-B! So we went for a 2 mi walk in what quickly picked up into a wind driven deluge. It wuz great!

Gonna do it again today, maybe... right now the heavens have been open since late yesterday afternoon and where I sat yesterday - near the Trout Farm - is currently reporting 5 inches accumulated since Sat eve.
    Blowin like stink (for you sailors) right now, and iff'n I go out, I'm takin my snorkle
    (and the cam...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast