Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: No Pedal Bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Pedal Bike

A few months back, a Phoenix, Arizona bike builder appeared on Fox & Friends and demonstrated a bike without pedals. Instead, it was more of a stepper on wheels.

Considering the condition of my knees, I thought it looked like a way to get back on the road.

My problem is that not only are my knees going, but my memory seems to be slipping a gear now and then as well. I cannot recall the name of this new fangled bike.

Can anyone help refresh my memory?

Thanx.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the platform-stepper type of bicycle drive. I just tried searching on google but couldn't come up with anything. Perhaps it rings a bell with someone that will respond later. It will be interesting to see, to say the least!

You may also want to consider the possiblity of elliptical chainrings, which I believe help with some knee problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for trying. I finally stumbled across it here:

http://www.staircycle.com/it26-gsp.html

Took awhile, but Google finally led me to it.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well isn't that the darndest thing! How cool! I was wondering the seat was -- but I guess you don't even need one!

I wonder how the steering is . . . since you would be resting on your arms pushing up and down with your feet (while standing)? I'd love to see one in action. Going to check out the rest of the site.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. A kickbike with stairstepper drive. I guess that makes more sense than the

Treadmill Bike .

Another possibility that's supposed to lessen the strain on knees is Rotor Cranks .

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knee touble? You might also consider arm-powered bikes/trikes. Some have rotary cranks and some are push-pull. I witnessed the starts of two transcontinental armpower record runs on trikes. The first was rotary by a heavy 'Nam vet. took 69 days. The second was push-pull by a guy who had won the LA wheelchair marathon. Took him 18 days coast-to-coast. I drafted that guy on Death Valley by Moonlight once. He was pacing a RAAM winner at 18 MPH on arm power.

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldotardo
    A few months back, a Phoenix, Arizona bike builder appeared on Fox & Friends and demonstrated a bike without pedals. Instead, it was more of a stepper on wheels.

Considering the condition of my knees, I thought it looked like a way to get back on the road.

My problem is that not only are my knees going, but my memory seems to be slipping a gear now and then as well. I cannot recall the name of this new fangled bike.

Thanx.

Hmmm, you can go up stairs, but not ride a bike? Have you ridden a bike professionally adjusted to your build and size and is the bike geared low enough?

I can ride a bike but stairs are not my forte'. But they are getting better since I started riding the bike.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have liked the lever-drive 1930s Terrot in Pryor Dodge's bicycle collection. That's right, there ain't nothin' new ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldotardo

Thanx.
    There will be more pressure on your knees with that thing compared to a bicycle. With the bicycle you have most of your weight on a seat and you can control how much pressure you put on the pedals by shifting and changing your effort. Unless you know specifically about a problem with the bike just skip the stepper. If you want to see what the stepper will do to your knees just ride your bicycle standing up for a while. It's not the same motion but it adds pressure to your knee like the stepper will. It will be a lot like climbing stairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    There will be more pressure on your knees with that thing compared to a bicycle. With the bicycle you have most of your weight on a seat and you can control how much pressure you put on the pedals by shifting and changing your effort. Unless you know specifically about a problem with the bike just skip the stepper. If you want to see what the stepper will do to your knees just ride your bicycle standing up for a while. It's not the same motion but it adds pressure to your knee like the stepper will. It will be a lot like climbing stairs.
    dang! I meant to say that!
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foehn
    dang! I meant to say that!

Next time it comes up you can go first!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]