Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-06, 08:26 AM   #1
Eldotardo

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No Pedal Bike

A few months back, a Phoenix, Arizona bike builder appeared on Fox & Friends and demonstrated a bike without pedals. Instead, it was more of a stepper on wheels.

Considering the condition of my knees, I thought it looked like a way to get back on the road.

My problem is that not only are my knees going, but my memory seems to be slipping a gear now and then as well. I cannot recall the name of this new fangled bike.

Can anyone help refresh my memory?

Thanx.
Eldotardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 10:21 AM   #2
oldcrank

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
I'm not familiar with the platform-stepper type of bicycle drive. I just tried searching on google but couldn't come up with anything. Perhaps it rings a bell with someone that will respond later. It will be interesting to see, to say the least!

You may also want to consider the possiblity of elliptical chainrings, which I believe help with some knee problems.
oldcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 12:17 PM   #3
Eldotardo

Bikes:
Thanks for trying. I finally stumbled across it here:

http://www.staircycle.com/it26-gsp.html

Took awhile, but Google finally led me to it.
Eldotardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 01:11 PM   #4
oldcrank

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
Well isn't that the darndest thing! How cool! I was wondering the seat was -- but I guess you don't even need one!

I wonder how the steering is . . . since you would be resting on your arms pushing up and down with your feet (while standing)? I'd love to see one in action. Going to check out the rest of the site.
oldcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-06, 02:53 PM   #5
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Hmm. A kickbike with stairstepper drive. I guess that makes more sense than the

Treadmill Bike .

Another possibility that's supposed to lessen the strain on knees is Rotor Cranks .
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-06, 09:40 PM   #6
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Knee touble? You might also consider arm-powered bikes/trikes. Some have rotary cranks and some are push-pull. I witnessed the starts of two transcontinental armpower record runs on trikes. The first was rotary by a heavy 'Nam vet. took 69 days. The second was push-pull by a guy who had won the LA wheelchair marathon. Took him 18 days coast-to-coast. I drafted that guy on Death Valley by Moonlight once. He was pacing a RAAM winner at 18 MPH on arm power.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 12:43 PM   #7
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldotardo
A few months back, a Phoenix, Arizona bike builder appeared on Fox & Friends and demonstrated a bike without pedals. Instead, it was more of a stepper on wheels.

Considering the condition of my knees, I thought it looked like a way to get back on the road.

My problem is that not only are my knees going, but my memory seems to be slipping a gear now and then as well. I cannot recall the name of this new fangled bike.

Thanx.

Hmmm, you can go up stairs, but not ride a bike? Have you ridden a bike professionally adjusted to your build and size and is the bike geared low enough?

I can ride a bike but stairs are not my forte'. But they are getting better since I started riding the bike.
foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 03:37 PM   #8
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
You might have liked the lever-drive 1930s Terrot in Pryor Dodge's bicycle collection. That's right, there ain't nothin' new ...
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 04:31 PM   #9
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldotardo

Thanx.
There will be more pressure on your knees with that thing compared to a bicycle. With the bicycle you have most of your weight on a seat and you can control how much pressure you put on the pedals by shifting and changing your effort. Unless you know specifically about a problem with the bike just skip the stepper. If you want to see what the stepper will do to your knees just ride your bicycle standing up for a while. It's not the same motion but it adds pressure to your knee like the stepper will. It will be a lot like climbing stairs.
2manybikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 06:28 PM   #10
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
There will be more pressure on your knees with that thing compared to a bicycle. With the bicycle you have most of your weight on a seat and you can control how much pressure you put on the pedals by shifting and changing your effort. Unless you know specifically about a problem with the bike just skip the stepper. If you want to see what the stepper will do to your knees just ride your bicycle standing up for a while. It's not the same motion but it adds pressure to your knee like the stepper will. It will be a lot like climbing stairs.
dang! I meant to say that!
foehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-06, 07:00 PM   #11
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot

Bikes: 2 many
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foehn
dang! I meant to say that!