Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chains and brakes

Some of you may remember that I went out in the snow on the 27th december. That was the day I broke my chain, and then found out that the salt and slush with the cold weather meant that the brakes were not too efficient. Thats the trouble with having two bikes to ride, as I don't ride the solo very often nowadays. A couple of hours before the new years day ride- I put a new chain on the solo. Now some of you may not realise that a new chain on worn cassettes is not the best thing to do. The new unrun chain, with no play in it, rides over the worn Casssette sprockets so you have a slipping chain. I thought that my cassette was in good condition but I was having chain slip on the 11 and 13 t cogs. Just goes to show which cogs are the ones I use most I suppose. In extreme cases, if you have worn front rings worn, it can also cause chain suck, where the chain gets held onto the sprockets and just goes round and jams up the crankset. Did not have that but it can happen

Luckily- If you have enough foresight to do it before hand- there is a remedy. That is to have a worn in chain always to hand in the garage. I normally do but could not find it- probably its in the same place as the spare tubes I keep buying and put in a safe place somewhere in the garage. Then on the other hand- the remedy once you have put on a new chain and it slips, and cant find the run in one, is to fit a new cassette. So that simple job of fitting a 20 chain has now gone up in price with the addition of a 40 cassette.

Now onto the brakes- I use V brakes and the same applies to cantilevers or whatever you have that uses brake blocks. Once they are contaminated, the best thing to do is to change them- However- unless it is oil contamination, it is possible to clean the surface with a bit of a scrub with a file or Emery paper. then clean the wheels with soapy water, and finally use a methanol or alcohol based cleaner to finally clean the blocks and wheels. I did not do this- well it was a week since I rode the thing- and it did make for a slow ride dodging the walkers- dogs- kids and other things left on the trail with ineffective brakes.

I know bikes are going to be worn out with use, and I normally prepare for it, but the joys of christmas and the bottle of cognac I traditionally get bought at this time of year- nearly ruined a good ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam,
    Undoubtedly your frequent trips through the slush and grit wear down those sprocket teeth faster than dry rides on road pavement. I find that I can change chains more frequently than cassettes...and the drivetrain remains pretty happy. I agree its always good to have an already sized chain handy at the workbench.

Most of my chain suck involves last-minute-me shifting the fd down under big load causing the chain to twang its way right across and past my small ring and get comfortably wedged between crank arm and bottom bracket......crash.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all very interesting, but can get back to the cognac? Details, please? And...do you bring the cognac on the trail?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    It's all very interesting, but can get back to the cognac? Details, please? And...do you bring the cognac on the trail?

Gradually over the years My daughters have got used to what I drink. I like french?????? cognac, wine, Pinault or Anything French. About 5 years ago My daughter bought me a bottle of Brandy- Not good stuff but it is now my Xmas present from her and gradually it has got better .This year it is genuine Armagnac Wondered why I had to take her to France on a shopping trip in December.

A hip flask is now obligatory on those cold Winter rides- just in case anyone suffers from the cold and needs reviving, But there is no way that they are getting hold of my25 year old Cognac that I bought from a distillery at Deau in the Bordeaux region of France 7 years ago. That is like silk and honey when it passes the lips, and I still have 2 bottles left.
    Just tried, and it is superb. Now where did I leave the bike.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does a chain "slip?" I can't see it being so worn that it jumps over one cog and engages another--I've run chains with at least six or eight extra links on my mountain bike after crashes ripped off or bent the rear derailleur (I took the der. completely off), and the tension held it on the cogs.
    As far as keeping a sized chain around, certainly it can't hurt, but pushing a pin out and installing a chain only takes, what, three or four minutes? It's not going to save a ride or anything.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    How does a chain "slip?" I can't see it being so worn that it jumps over one cog and engages another--I've run chains with at least six or eight extra links on my mountain bike after crashes ripped off or bent the rear derailleur (I took the der. completely off), and the tension held it on the cogs.
    As far as keeping a sized chain around, certainly it can't hurt, but pushing a pin out and installing a chain only takes, what, three or four minutes? It's not going to save a ride or anything.
    What happens is that the cassette rings get worn- or elongated between the spikes. Then when you fit a new chain- with no play in it at all, The distance between the pins on the chain is less than the distance between the spikes on the cog and the spikes pick up the roller instead of the space in between. The chain then slips to accomodate the spikes and it is as if you have a badly set up derailler and Crunchy gears. As a chain is used- then it gets a bit of play in it, so a worn cog will not worry it too much. Hence my regime of keeping a run in chain to get me out of trouble.

If on fitting a new chain, you find that the cassette is worn, then the only thing to do is fit a new one. The temporary repair of a run in chain will not last long as from this point on both the cassette and chain will wear out pretty fast.
    I ride a Tandem and we carry a spare chain on that thing. They do not break very often but it does occur. That chain is a run in one, for the very reason that although I do keep my cassettes in good condition, changing them a twice a year, If I am at the end of that cassettes life and I fit a new chain, then I will get chain slip. In fact I have just realised where my run in chain is that I cannot find. It is in the top bag of the tandem

Spike Milligan