Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 degree ride today worked up a SWEAT!

Welcome to 2K6! 80 F here today so I made my usual 20 miler & sweated mucho!! I guess I've gotten acclimated to the "cold" 70 degree temps.

I'm about to put some "knobby" tires on my single-speed so I can have more traction in the dirt. Does using knobbies on the pavement wear them excessively? Also, I've read that the "V" profile of the knobbies should point forward on the rear tire and backward on the front. Is this so?

Finally, I'm waiting for my wheels to arrive so I can finish my "fat-boy" touring bike. I'd planned on using 700c x 32 WTB Slickisaurus tires on this one. Any other suggestions for a good, wide 700c tire? I think my existing WTB tires may be somewhat worn. How do you determine when a tire is due for replacement?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Year to you FarHorizon. 80-degrees sounds like a dream come true. You sure hit the jackpot! We're under what has to be the millionth winter storm warning -- although just plain rain tonight at present (changing over to heavy snow tomorrow).

The concern with using knobbies on the pavement and other smooth surfaces is more of a traction issue. Compared to slicks, knobbies have less surface area in touch with the road surface at any given time, as there are parts of the tire that do not touch a smooth surface at all. The jury is still out regarding the larger diameter making up the difference or not (compared to a narrower slick).

I'm not sure about the "V" profile pointing differences between the front and rear.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was nice and warm here in Tallahassee also, but it poured down rain all day. I stayed in the garage/shop learning how to use the new dovetail jig I got for Christmas.
    Wag more, bark less

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank
    ...I'm not sure about the "V" profile pointing differences between the front and rear.
    Thanks for the feedback oldcrank! My understanding about the tire's direction was that the rear tire should push mud/leaves out of the way (toward the outside of the tire) for maximum traction. The idea of the front being the opposite is that braking forces would be more effective if more friction was generated by pushing mud/leaves toward the tire's center. Perhaps I misunderstood...

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FarHorizon]I'm about to put some "knobby" tires on my single-speed so I can have more traction in the dirt. Does using knobbies on the pavement wear them excessively? Also, I've read that the "V" profile of the knobbies should point forward on the rear tire and backward on the front. Is this so?/QUOTE]

Sometimes knobbies ride funny on pavement. Depending on the tires, the knobs can squirm in tight turns. I've never lost control due to knob squirm but it can definitely feel unsettling the first time that you experience it.

Years ago I read an article that suggested mounting tires with the tread arrows pointing toward the front on the top of the front tire and toward the back on the top of the rear tire. Some tires have directional arrows (sometimes more than one set) on them. Another guide that I sometimes use is to mount the tire with the colored label on the right side of the bike. It seems to me that there are a number of sometimes conflicting theories.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Sometimes knobbies ride funny on pavement. ... I've never lost control due to knob squirm but it can definitely feel unsettling the first time that you experience it.
    Been there ... done that ... same precariouis feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Years ago I read an article that suggested mounting tires with the tread arrows pointing toward the front on the top of the front tire and toward the back on the top of the rear tire. Some tires have directional arrows (sometimes more than one set) on them. Another guide that I sometimes use is to mount the tire with the colored label on the right side of the bike. It seems to me that there are a number of sometimes conflicting theories.
    I wonder whether it matters at all ...
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a tyre termed as a Semi slick. It has knobbles at the side, but a very smooth tread in the centre, so when upright on tarmac you are riding on the smooth part of the tread, and when you hit the softer dirt trails, the side knobs start biting and give traction. Then if you start leaning the bike on trails, you still have the knobbles to bite. Absolutely fine on dry trails and even offroad in the dry, but show it a bit of wet grass or mud and you will find out how heavy the bike is.

On the "When is a tyre worn Out" I check for three things. I ride offroad and I am afraid I do not wear the tread down- what I do is put cuts across the carcase and rip the Tread to bits. If I can see the tube when inflated on even the smallest hole- that is finished. Then there is the sidewall and if I see any "Age" cracks the tyre is dumped. Then If I consistently get punctures on a tyre, It is cheaper to change the tyre than buy another 5 tubes to keep it going.
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-03-06 at 05:12 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback. It was 68 degrees F here in Baton Rouge today so I extended my ride away from the lakes and out along the river road. NICE weather!