just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good ride today

Rode the Municipal Airport route. 40 degrees cloudy the wind was out of the NW at 14 mph. Started about 3 PM.

I went to the Medical North Plaza by NKC hospital. The woods butt up to that parking lot and it would be a good place to hike in among the woods.

Going to Sonny Hills appartments N of NKC just E of Macon Park. After you climb that hill there is a cul-de-sac that butts up to some woods that offer a hiking opportunity.500 feet wide.

Start the loop at Municipal Airport 44:09 I am pediadiling in the 36 21 gear. Moved to top chain ring way through (46 21) as the slope went down hill a little. Finished time 1:02:28 I stopped to take a photo which throws out any chance of a record. But I doubt that there would be a chance of that because I have only rode 5 times in December.

I stopped at Dollar General and had a milkshake. I had too much clothes on. T-shirt, flannel shirt, quilted flannel shirt and wind breaker. Long Underwear pants and jeans. Knit cap.

So at 40 degrees and cloudy drop the long underwear and quilted flannel shirt. Use bandana instead of knit cap.

19.3 miles 24.5 max 11.1 avg 1:44:53 time 895.7 odometer.

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 40 degrees, cloudy and windy I'd pass on.

The milkshake part sounds good though!

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine sucked the Big Wahanda!
    thought I'd be a hard-butt (PC enough?) and go out this PM. On the tail end of the big storm that came thru the last few days.
    turns out I'm just another weather wuss! The afternoon went from blazin sunshine to gale force deluge aand back, every 5 minutes. I could almost swear I was back in Indianapolis...
    Went out on the commuter/beater and didn't get 2 blocks before the heavens opened and a monsoonal deluge started. By mile 3 the rain was coming in horizontal and I couldn't see anything, in spite of using clear wraparound glasses. Mile 5 I turned around and slunk back to the yurt, with my tail between the legs.
    took off layers of totally soaked kit and just left it layin in the garage. decided to go to the gym and recover a modicum of self-worth.
    today's ride spiritual element? humility

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyclezen,

I have never ridden in heavy rain. I would have given up with the horizontal rain.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here! I joined a group of folks that do a 1.5 mile loop in a business park on lighted streets after work. We might have had 30 in the pack at one point. The pace tonight wasn't as frantic as it has been and I was able to ride wheels most of the night. I did wind up out front for a couple laps at the start and knew I couldn't pull for too long.

It gets pretty hairy whizzing around 25+ mph and a few inches behind a wheel and going through the light and then dark spots in the streets. I just don't think I'll ever get completely comfortable with that part of it.

It was a good way to run your heart rate up for 1 to 1 1/2 hour during the week though!