Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Presents.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 02:45 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Presents.

Christmas is over, and It is now birthday time. (59 today) All those T shirts I am going to get again, all in sizes that accentuate my beer belly, or are so baggy that I'll never wear them. How do the rest of you manage to get the hint across for what you would really like for a present? Or failing that- How do you get shot of 8 T shirts in assorted sizes?

Spike Milligan
Old 01-05-06, 03:13 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Christmas is over, and It is now birthday time. (59 today) All those T shirts I am going to get again, all in sizes that accentuate my beer belly, or are so baggy that I'll never wear them. How do the rest of you manage to get the hint across for what you would really like for a present? Or failing that- How do you get shot of 8 T shirts in assorted sizes?
Can't answer the gift dilemma; I live alone and whatever my kids give me is fine with me! But my question is: why aren't you out riding your age, for goodness sake!

Oh...it's 82 degrees in San Diego today. I'm about to ride around Mission Bay, and actually work up a SWEAT doing it!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-05-06, 03:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Can't answer the gift dilemma; I live alone and whatever my kids give me is fine with me! But my question is: why aren't you out riding your age, for goodness sake!

Oh...it's 82 degrees in San Diego today. I'm about to ride around Mission Bay, and actually work up a SWEAT doing it!
Some of us Work !!!! At 28F I don't feel like riding tonight. Instead I rode last night at 34F. No problems till one of the lights fell off and broke,. Only left us with 3 lights to get home.

And I did my ride in the summer. I may be mad, but at least I had enough sense to do it when it was warm.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-05-06, 04:59 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I took my kids with me to the LBS and showed them all the neat stuff they had there. Unfortunately most of the stuff I showed them was way out of both their's and my price range!! However, as long as I can continue to get hugs from them I'm happy!!
Old 01-05-06, 06:31 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that the T's make great rags for wiping down bike parts!!!
Old 01-05-06, 06:46 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Bought my own bike presents this year-that way it's exactly what I want! New 8-spd 11-32 cassette to replace the old 11-28 7-spd (my 55 yr old legs will appreciate the lower gear on hills!), new wheelset, shifters, rear der., and chain. Waiting for the parts to come in to make the conversion and tune it all up. Thought about a new bike, but I'm att'd to my old, steel hardtail GT--just "feels" right. Haven't liked any bikes I've test ridden nearly as much. Of course, over the years I've made many changes-basically the frame is all that's left of the original.
Old 01-05-06, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy 59th Birthday Stapfam. May you have many, many more!
Old 01-05-06, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy birthday! Mine was 12/31; I took the direct approach and e-mailed my son a link to the Nashbar gel tight I wanted for my birthday, and he came through. Aaah!
Old 01-06-06, 10:21 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Happy Birthday!! My daughter and you share the same date! You're 40 years ahead of her!!
Old 01-06-06, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
How about a wedding register type thing? You register at a bike shop, make a list of all the things you want, tell your kids where you're registerred at, and let them chip in to buy what's on your wish list. Tell them you're married to bike riding. LOL
Old 01-06-06, 12:10 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Happy Birthday!!!! Hope your birthday is a blast!

For the gift thing, I see a catalog and say "Oh wow! Check this out! It's on sale right now. Aw man, I wish that I could run down there and pick it up before the sale ends this Saturday. Guess I won't be able to get it. Bummer." (That's how I got my gloves ). tee hee!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-06-06, 01:53 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
This was the first time I got something for Christmas I wanted, a nice windbreaker, although it was branded Specialized and I ride Trek, we have 5 Treks and my wife had to ask what kind of bike I ride.