User Tag List

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'm doing Santa Fe Century

I've decided to do it, partly based on some earlier postings here about what a great ride it is. I'm in good shape but I've never ridden anywhere near that far in one pop. Time to get in some serious training. I ride a Bike Friday folder, so I hope to see some of those folks out there (I'll post this over on Folders, too) as well as some of us Fifty-Plus forum members. I guess my main issues are butt comfort, all-day fueling and sun protection.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
    I've decided to do it, partly based on some earlier postings here about what a great ride it is. I'm in good shape but I've never ridden anywhere near that far in one pop. Time to get in some serious training. I ride a Bike Friday folder, so I hope to see some of those folks out there (I'll post this over on Folders, too) as well as some of us Fifty-Plus forum members. I guess my main issues are butt comfort, all-day fueling and sun protection.
    The training is going to be worth it, but instead of doing tremendous miles to get in shape, I do a ride that will be harder than the one I am planning- But a lot shorter. For a century ride you do want to get some milage in to adjust the butt, but I suggest you find the big local hill, the one that you dread, and do it twice in a 25 mile ride, Then a few weeks later do it 3 times. Fuelling for the ride should start with carbo loading a week beforehand but that Sun Protection-- I have adjusted to the sun with my normal rides, but on any long rides I have a large bandana tied round my neck- like the scouts scarf. This keeps the sun off the back of my neck and that is all I need as extra protection. Oh and only one extra, Drink on the ride, before the ride and then again on the ride, and if you can manage it- drink more water. It does help.Final thing is don't forget the camera.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate; KHS Flite 800; Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am doing the Santa Fe century too. My wife has friends in Santa Fe, so we made the decision to come to Santa Fe in May. I will ride and she will visit. Needless to say this will be quite new for me. I have a half dozen centuries under my belt and numerous metrics but Ive not ridden at this altitude. I am curious how this might affect my performance. Could some of you old Santa Fe Century vets enlighten me? Being an East Coaster, most of my riding has been at an altitude of 500 ft or less with the exception of a ride across the State of North Carolina which originated in the NC mountains. Perhaps we can muster up a group to do this ride who are members of this forum. I know that was done last year.

Joe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-04-06 at 02:26 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aonbay
    I am doing the Santa Fe century too. My wife has friends in Santa Fe, so we made the decision to come to Santa Fe in May. I will ride and she will visit. Needless to say this will be quite new for me. I have a half dozen centuries under my belt and numerous metrics but Ive not ridden at this altitude. I am curious how this might affect my performance. Could some of you old Santa Fe Century vets enlighten me? Being an East Coaster, most of my riding has been at an altitude of 500 ft or less with the exception of a ride across the State of North Carolina which originated in the NC mountains. Perhaps we can muster up a group to do this ride who are members of this forum. I know that was done last year.

Joe
    I came from sea level to do the ride last year, I had forgotten that Santa Fe is 7000 ft. But, it was OK, I didn't have trouble with sickness or anything, and there are only a few steep climbs on the route, so mostly you are rolling along. If you could go out and be there for a week or so, that would help you a great deal to adjust to the thin air, and it's a fabulous place to hang out and explore. Take an asprin religiously every 3 1/2 hours while you are there, it helps more than you'd think.

The ride is long, beautiful and well supported. I was really glad I had a triple crank for the one steep hill, it's not a long climb, but a real grind. I heard that up to 70% of riders walk part of the hill, I don't like to walk up hill in cycling shoes, so I stayed on the bike and mashed. In the last 35 miles a storm rolled through with strong winds and rain, we (lordOpie and Snowy) managed to stay ahead of the rain, but the head wind was most unwelcomed.
    Best advice I can give is start riding as early as you can, give yourself plenty of time and take it all in. I was part of the BF group last year, it was FUN!
    Last edited by Shifty; 01-04-06 at 04:14 PM.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like martinis and margaritas fueled some in your group, DnvrFox! Was this before or after the ride?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
    Looks like martinis and margaritas fueled some in your group, DnvrFox! Was this before or after the ride?
    Before

You know the saying - anything with calories!

Or for the wine drinkers

"Any port in a storm."
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-04-06 at 03:43 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read about the ride on the web and it's exactly the kind of ride that can get you really excited! I love to do different rides and this is exactly the type of ride I'd like to do. I could even probably figure out an inexpensive way to travel that far with my bike.

Unfortunately it's the same weekend as the Assault on Mt Mitchell which has become an annual day of masochism and measuring stick of my progress so I guess I'm relegated to doing that.

Will definitely put on the list of rides to keep in mind for future years!!

Keep us posted on your training progress Blue!! Having goals like this one will greatly help your focus and I don't have any concerns that the distance will be too big a deal for you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everybody! All the feedback's great. Your training idea is excellent, stapfam. There are lots of big hills near where I live, so that won't be a problem. As the ride gets closer, those doing it might check back in.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate; KHS Flite 800; Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    I came from sea level to do the ride last year, I had forgotten that Santa Fe is 7000 ft. But, it was OK, I didn't have trouble with sickness or anything, and there are only a few steep climbs on the route, so mostly you are rolling along. If you could go out and be there for a week or so, that would help you a great deal to adjust to the thin air, and it's a fabulous place to hang out and explore. Take an asprin religiously every 3 1/2 hours while you are there, it helps more than you'd think.

The ride is long, beautiful and well supported. I was really glad I had a triple crank for the one steep hill, it's not a long climb, but a real grind. I heard that up to 70% of riders walk part of the hill, I don't like to walk up hill in cycling shoes, so I stayed on the bike and mashed. In the last 35 miles a storm rolled through with strong winds and rain, we (lordOpie and Snowy) managed to stay ahead of the rain, but the head wind was most unwelcomed.
    Best advice I can give is start riding as early as you can, give yourself plenty of time and take it all in. I was part of the BF group last year, it was FUN!
    Thank you very much for the feedback!!

My Bikes
    06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering this ride but concerned about climbs (combined with the elevation) - does anyone have information about the elevation changes or a topo of the route?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaws
    I'm considering this ride but concerned about climbs (combined with the elevation) - does anyone have information about the elevation changes or a topo of the route?
    Big climb right out of town and miles of rollers the rest of the way, wind and possible rain are the biggest obstacles. Done this ride 3 times and as hard rides go I'd give her a 5 on a 10 scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaws
    This link shows the elevation profile
    http://www.swcp.com/~nmts/rides/Imag...ofileSmall.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrecting this thread ...

Thank you to the previous posters for the comments, pictures, and the elevation map. I've just signed up for this and plan to make it my first ever century (I only started cycling a lot last year). The route looks really pretty and the elevation profile looks doable (unlike say, this event http://www.teamevergreen.org/HTML_MA...plebypass.html, which a friend suggested ) My wife loves Santa Fe and plans to come along and shop, so it could be an expensive trip.

Nick

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell
    Resurrecting this thread ...

Thank you to the previous posters for the comments, pictures, and the elevation map. I've just signed up for this and plan to make it my first ever century (I only started cycling a lot last year). The route looks really pretty and the elevation profile looks doable (unlike say, this event http://www.teamevergreen.org/HTML_MA...plebypass.html, which a friend suggested ) My wife loves Santa Fe and plans to come along and shop, so it could be an expensive trip.

Nick
    Have a great time, it's a fun event. Last year the day after the ride I stopped at the Ojo Caliente Hot Springs on my way to Colorado Springs. This place is near Taos, and is a great way to soothe the ackie body. Make a reservation for a massage, that and a soak was a real treat after the century. Most of the people I talked with were century riders too, so lots of cycling chat in the springs. http://www.ojocalientespa.com/Spa_and_Waters/index.html
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas