Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckiest Guy in the World!

I got the new Cervelo P2k Time Trial bike last night and it's a real beauty!! I was a little worried the frame was going to be too large but my LBS fit me to it and it is going to work perfectly. I was able to take it out this afternoon for a quick spin for about an hour and put it through the paces. I've ridden a time trial set-up before on my road bike but this was my first time on a TT bike. It's different!! It took me a mile or so to get comfortable and steady. The aero bars have my arms and elbows tucked in tighter than I'm accustomed to. However, after about 10-12 miles it felt really good and I can't wait to get it out to the Time Trial events.

So why am I so lucky? I had been "looking around" for a used TT bike and came across the P2k that has a new frame, fork and headset but with used components. I've gotten to know the owner of my LBS and he knew I had 3 college tuitions going and basically made me a deal I couldn't walk away from. It helped it was also a larger frame that probably has very limited appeal. Of course I made the intelligent and executive decision to purchase the bike but unfortunately without the approval or knowledge of "the treasurer' in my family. It certainly didn't help we'd just sent in the funds for next semesters tuitions, board etc either. I was really worried about how to break the news other than the standard line of "look what a great deal I got".....

When I got home last night my wife was sort of "sheepish" and I was sweating it. It wasn't too much later that she confessed that she had purchased a new piece of furniture yesterday, that it was a great deal and she wanted my help getting it into the house. Needless to say I was very agreeable and also eager to tell her the great deal I found!!!

So I guess the money I saved on the bike is now standing up in the corner of my dining room!!!

I know, I know.....will get pics. I want to put my TT wheels on it so it will look "special" for everyone.
    even with Dnvr's instructions, I also have the same challenges as Gary of getting the darn picture uploaded. Hopefully I can resize the pics to where I can just post it directly.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yippee Skippy! Good for you, jppe! Can't wait to see those pics! :-)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE - I know you are pleased with the bike. I can't wait to see it. Good luck with TT events.
    Also as someone in the furniture industry I think your "treasurer" did well also and probably needs to pick up a few additional items. That way I can stay in bikes, parts, etc.!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE.....the thrill of a new bike, especially one in a radically "different" category...way to go for your chutzpah in buying it and competing...TT's are serious and demanding to say the least...at least they inevitably get that way I suspect.

Also, what luck you had.....buying it unannounced and then discovering the wife also had a "surprize" expenditure...the fates were on your side (and her's too, hehe).

Go out and smoke that road!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be looking forward to the pics, jppe. Sounds like a real rocket. What distance TT's are you looking into doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Can't wait for the pictures. By the way, what a great attitude.

Wifes, and I guess people are interesting. I spent way too much money buying my teenager nice road bikes. I was dreading telling my wife. Everything worked out so that they were here in time for Christmas. On the 23rd, my wife was bemoaning the fact that she didn't have enough presents for the boys. I casually mentioned to her that she shouldn't worry and that I had purchased them bikes. Her response floored me. She smiled, asked how much they cost, before I could answer, she said that it didn't matter and that she was glad I had bought them bikes. Go figure. Talk about luck. Bob.
    Last edited by Bob S.; 01-06-06 at 05:40 AM.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your purchase and good luck on your TTs. Let us know how you do. I have only one TT event per year (20 km championships) and have only participated once so far last year. Hopefully this year I'll make it as well. My multipurpose road bike is a Kestrel 200 SCi which is actually well suited for TT.
    For the coming year most of my investment will be on the engine and less on the equip.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are in good company with all those Cervelo bike riders at the world championship Ironman triathalon in Kona. Cervelo came in first as the bike of choice.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank
    Will be looking forward to the pics, jppe. Sounds like a real rocket. What distance TT's are you looking into doing?

The TT's are 10 miles or 7 laps around the track at Lowes Motor Speedway. I work with the Board and we're already making plans for this year's events. The events have become so popular we sold out every starting slot we had except for a few in the first one----and we have around 225 slots per event. We even have folks that drive in from Georgia just to do the events.

We're looking at going with a different timing system and possibly have 2 starting lines instead of just one to make sure everyone that would like to participate gets the opportunity. We're also considering expanding the categories to include more team time trials and possibly "mixed groups" like male/female teams. We're continuing to look for ways to make it one of the premiere cycling events on the East Coast.

While it is a lot of work the participants do not see, I've thoroughly enjoyed assisting with it have met some really fine folks along the way. By the way, if you look at the web site below, the fellow's picture at the top of the home page is Humpy Wheeler that some might recognize as the President of Lowes Motor Speedway who happens to be a very avid cyclist. Without Humpy we would not have the event.....

I've probably mentioned it before but we now have Bobby Labonte (Nascar driver with Texas connection with L Armstrong) hooked and participating when he can.

Here's a link to the web site we've created. Note: look at the times for the folks in the 50-55 age group. Their just as fast as the guys in the 40's!!!

http://carolinatt.org/v2/