I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elevation

How do you guys know how much climbing you did on a ride? Is that a function of your cyclocomputer? Mine doesn't do that.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some computers will track elevation. You can also go the GPS route with Garmin et al. Or if you want to be a luddite, you can break out the topo maps and see how many feet you have climbed.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    How do you guys know how much climbing you did on a ride? Is that a function of your cyclocomputer? Mine doesn't do that.
    For free, you can try this:

gmap-pedometer

I've used it a few times, and it works, and the price is right!

Steve

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My legs, lungs and body tell me. Moderate hills- quite a few-and I've just climbed Everest.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    For free, you can try this:

gmap-pedometer

I've used it a few times, and it works, and the price is right!

Steve
    Interesting!

Thanks

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could get an altimeter watch or a fancy cyclocomp with alt function or you could guestimate.

After having climbed more than a few hills I can estimate the % grade.. I also know how long the hill is in miles/km. A simple calculation will give you a pretty good guestimate- for example average 5% grade for 2 km (1.25 miles) is about 100 meters (300 ft).

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berts,

Ok I'll bite. If I know distance and climb height, what's the formula for calculating grade?

Ped site is interest, BUT add a grain of salt.

I ran the same route three times and total elevation varied from 200 foot climb, to 323 foot climb to 430 foot climb.

Distance is fairly accurate. cyclometer was 4.8 miles, ped site gave 4.6xxx miles.

Best way to map a route is in hybrid mode so you can see trails and roads. Enjoy.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    %grade= vertical lift/run*100

in the above case:
    avg. vertical lift is about 320
    avg. run is about 4.6 miles (24,288 ft) actually it is slightly less but the difference will not change the %grade significantly

% grade = 320/24288*100 = about 1.3%

I tried the ped site, but no maps available for my area (too bad).
    I have looked into some altimeter watches, however I'm not sure if knowing my exact altitude gain is that important to me.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a cyclometer called Ciclosport Model 434. It has the traditional cylometer functions plus temperature, elevation gained, highest point during a ride, actual per cent grade/slope of a hill, maximum slope of hill during a ride and probably some other functions I just don't use regularly (like watts). It comes in either a wired and wireless model. The cyclometer itself works either wired or wireless as you only have to change the base unit.

It uses the barometric pressure change method to determine elevation and slope. It's not 100% accurate but it's good enough for me. I picked it up new off of eBay for around $100 delivered earlier this year. I think Vetta makes something similar. A Polar model also has those features but is much more expensive-but you can plot the outputs on your computer!!

Check out the new Garmin Edge GPS for something really neat. Unfortunately it costs a lot more than Lucky!!

My wife gave me a GPS that I have tested against the Ciclosport and I'm satisfied with the performance of the Ciclosport.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I use a cyclometer called Ciclosport Model 434. It has the traditional cylometer functions plus temperature, elevation gained, highest point during a ride, actual per cent grade/slope of a hill, maximum slope of hill during a ride and probably some other functions I just don't use regularly (like watts). It comes in either a wired and wireless model. The cyclometer itself works either wired or wireless as you only have to change the base unit.

It uses the barometric pressure change method to determine elevation and slope. It's not 100% accurate but it's good enough for me. I picked it up new off of eBay for around $100 delivered earlier this year. I think Vetta makes something similar. A Polar model also has those features but is much more expensive-but you can plot the outputs on your computer!!

Check out the new Garmin Edge GPS for something really neat. Unfortunately it costs a lot more than Lucky!!

My wife gave me a GPS that I have tested against the Ciclosport and I'm satisfied with the performance of the Ciclosport.
    FWIW I had to return 2 ciclosports that failed. I went to GPS.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Interesting!

Thanks
    Yep... when it doesn't crash

It's still a project, but the potential is there.

Steve

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    %grade= vertical lift/run*100
    Probably should be (vertical lift/run) *100 .

Hey, but I'm not going to quibble. Thanks, I finally know the grade to work is about 1%. I'd die if it was a 5% grade.
    Then I would definitely have to redo my gearing one more time.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Google Earth. It also gives you distances.

Bent_Rider
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Aero, BikeE, Bruce Gordon Rock n Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ciclosport HAC4 tracks speed, altitude, and heart rate and allows downloading to your home computer. You can then print out cool ride profiles graphing your ride. Good for keeping records of your tours. For this you will pay $300. The computer interface is extra.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious is the HAC 5 out yet?
    Hi 'o Silver away

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Probably should be (vertical lift/run) *100 .

Hey, but I'm not going to quibble. Thanks, I finally know the grade to work is about 1%. I'd die if it was a 5% grade.
    Then I would definitely have to redo my gearing one more time.
    you're right of course - i left out the ()

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    After having climbed more than a few hills I can estimate the % grade.. I also know how long the hill is in miles/km. A simple calculation will give you a pretty good guestimate- for example average 5% grade for 2 km (1.25 miles) is about 100 meters (300 ft).
    Thanks for that ????? 100m in 1.25 miles is frightening me- I will check our easy climb up on to the hills as it is 250m in what I believe is less than 1 mile. And that is offroad. No wonder I keep using the granny ring. As I say- this is our easy climb as it is a path that we can get grip on in most places. The basket is 200m climb in 3/4 mile--ON MUD. That puts it at an average of 16%. Only do that one in the summer for some reason- although it was planned for tomorrow to check out the new tyres. Don't think I'll bother now and find an easy route.

Edit
    Going back to the altimeter point- Once you have a bike there are certain things you have to get to improve your riding- clothing- accessories and the best Toy for a Bike is the Computer. As I say- I regard a computer as an extra addon that is not necessary, so to me an altimeter is an "Extra" toy that will not improve my cycling ability- but it would boost my ego if I knew that I had climbed 3.000 ft in a 3 hour ride. What It won't tell me is that it was a 5% gradient, which although tiring, is not hard. OR whether it was a basket of a climb at 15 or 20%. Only my body will tell me that.
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-07-06 at 04:38 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    The basket is 200m climb in 3/4 mile--ON MUD. That puts it at an average of 16%.
    That's a steep hill, good thing it is only 3/4 mile and not 34 miles.

Edit
    ...I regard a computer as an extra addon that is not necessary, so to me an altimeter is an "Extra" toy that will not improve my cycling ability-
    pretty much in agreement with you on that. I would invest in improving the engine (improved nutrition, core strengthening, increase riding quality and time, etc., etc.) before buying the extra toys.