I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fifteen miles so far, and these are my impressions:

She's fun to ride. The gear must be very similar to the one I use most often on my MTB. On most of my rides, I don't really shift much anyway, unless there's a noticeable hill or a LOT of headwind.

I like being a bit higher off the road, but I don't like reaching a bit farther for the water bottle.

I still don't like the sidepull brakes; they work but don't seem to respond when I want to stop quickly. Pulling the levers tightly does not give more braking power than ordinary pulling. I have to anticipate stopping a bit more carefully.

I like being released from having to remember to downshift when coming to a red light, so that starting up again will be easier. It will just be what it will be!

The front wheel is very itchy, I discovered, if/when I stand on the pedals to hammer up a short incline. I had to be pretty careful or I would have lost control. It won't take long to get used to this, however.

I love how quiet Lucky is. When I'm pedalling along, there is NO noise. Not even tire noise. Is that because the tires are so narrow? I don't hear a THING.

I feel more of the bumps than on my Trek, which I figure must be because there's no front shock. It's a slightly rougher ride.

My hands are in a slightly different position than on the Trek, and it feels like they're supporting more weight. Wasn't a problem so far, but I'm going to monitor that for a while. I do like the new handlebars.

I have to decide whether to get a backpack for my gym clothes, or library books, etc. or outfit Lucky with a rack on the back. I already have gym bags and bungee cords, so it seems like the second option makes more sense.

I think of this bike as my SUB -- a sports utility bike. Perfect for my urban rides, but I wouldn't want to do much serious climbing with her. I think I could do a metric century on her. All in all, she's a neat vintage ride.

And last but not least, it's weird having to choose which bike to take out. I don't think I EVER owned more than one bike at any one time in my entire life!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,
    I predict that your perception of Lucky's twitchiness will evolve into pleasure in her relative responsiveness. Your Trek, which may seem steady and secure, may come to seem somehow slower and less sensitive to your input. You will like the way Lucky just needs a slight lean on the seatpost to turn a bit whereas the Trek requires more effort to roll 'er over
    You might be getting up off the saddle more often because Lucky shoots ahead a little quicker and out of saddle accelerations are more fun as she seems a little more eager to be ridden with verve (!).

Anyway, consider how many bike messengers ride single speed or fixed through town and how many ride fatter tire. From the right angle, you could look a bit like Kevin Bacon. Like all exciting women, Lucky will make a new man of you. Ain't it nice to have a harem to choose from depending on mood and need of the day.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 01-07-06 at 12:48 AM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like being a bit higher off the road, but I don't like reaching a bit farther for the water bottle.
    That water bottle bit hits all novices, and you are a novice to this bike.. It will take a bit of getting used to, but if still a problem in a few months- Think of a Camelback

I still don't like the sidepull brakes; they work but don't seem to respond when I want to stop quickly. Pulling the levers tightly does not give more braking power than ordinary pulling. I have to anticipate stopping a bit more carefully.
    Could be new brakes and rims etc. but should improve.

I like being released from having to remember to downshift when coming to a red light, so that starting up again will be easier. It will just be what it will be!
    Wait till you get an uphill start

The front wheel is very itchy, I discovered, if/when I stand on the pedals to hammer up a short incline. I had to be pretty careful or I would have lost control. It won't take long to get used to this, however.
    This bike will take some getting used to as road bikes handle differently- That will adjust shortly

I love how quiet Lucky is. When I'm pedalling along, there is NO noise. Not even tire noise. Is that because the tires are so narrow? I don't hear a THING.
    Thats the problem with these winter months- Take the earmuffs off when the temperature gets above 70

I feel more of the bumps than on my Trek, which I figure must be because there's no front shock. It's a slightly rougher ride.
    What Bumps? Roads don't have them. Plus the fact you have got soft by using suspension before

My hands are in a slightly different position than on the Trek, and it feels like they're supporting more weight. Wasn't a problem so far, but I'm going to monitor that for a while. I do like the new handlebars.
    Any new bike will feel strange, and will require some adjustment

I have to decide whether to get a backpack for my gym clothes, or library books, etc. or outfit Lucky with a rack on the back. I already have gym bags and bungee cords, so it seems like the second option makes more sense.
    There is a style of rear pannier that fits on the seat stem, if you have problems with a conventional system, but if it is only short local trips with not too much weight, then a backpack may be simpler/

I think of this bike as my SUB -- a sports utility bike. Perfect for my urban rides, but I wouldn't want to do much serious climbing with her. I think I could do a metric century on her.
    Give me that route- a century without hills

All in all, she's a neat vintage ride. Just like the rider

And last but not least, it's weird having to choose which bike to take out. I don't think I EVER owned more than one bike at any one time in my entire life
    No problem- just do double the rides to stop them getting jealous.

Glad to see you are enjoying the ride, but You will soon realise that all these bikes have a problem. Hope you have them in separate rooms before they start breeding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For carrying stuff, you might consider a "bar rack" which fastens to your seat post. It's easy to install remove. You can get a bag to match the rack which securely mounts to the rack, or just bungee your stuff to the rack in plastic bags. Topeak makes a model as well. I haven't looked on eBay but would bet you could pick one up pretty cheaply.

I've used one on my MTB when doing "day trips" w/ family on trails. I can take the family's lunch, extra clothes, etc.

Here's one of Delta's models:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee,
    I also found that the ride is harder on Armadillos. But then, I switched from 2.125 knobbies. I will never go back.

The hands. By your picture, you may want to try a different bar stem that you can adjust to find the perfect cockpit length/bar height. That's what I ended up doing and, again, I'll never go back.

Caveat: If you raise/shorten the cockpit - and, if you like it - you may want to re-think the saddle since you will increase the load there. It goes on and on....have fun!

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Like all exciting women, Lucky will make a new man of you.
    I hear that!