Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm a little dissapointed in myself... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/164862-im-little-dissapointed-myself.html)

hawkijohn 01-07-06 02:18 PM

I'm a little dissapointed in myself...

Today I took my first real ride on a road bike with drop bars. It's a borrowed older unit that's way too big for me (62.5 and I fit a 56) and has only the two chain rings so it's no hill climber. I'm almost 55 but consider myself to be in good condition. I rode 10 miles in 50 min. It didn't seem nearly that long because I didn't have a computor or watch with me so checked time on arrival and departure. It was some rolling hills and temps in high 30's. Aside from some equipment shortcomings, I really thought I could ave a little better speed than that. Guess I've got quite a ways to go yet. Gives me a lot to work on. Come spring, I will get a century done, no matter how long it takes me! I'll soon be getting my own road bike and it will be interesting to see how much improvement I get right away with better gearing and a good fit.

Garfield Cat 01-07-06 02:52 PM

When I switched from a hybrid to road bike, I didn't notice a big difference at the beginning. So I was a little disappointed like you. The new road bike was a lot stiffer and more responsive. But my body was still not able to take advantage of the bike's capabilities. I started the hybrid at age 54 and about a year and a half I got the new road bike.

So I just kept riding, mornings before work and weekends on longer rides. I averaged between 3-4 thousand miles per year on the road bike. I got injuries and had to slow down to give my body some rest. I got back on after spending money for a professional fitter and the recommended changes to my form and to my equipment. Then I started to ride better, more efficient, better climbing, less injuries.

I've done 3 solo centuries and don't care to do anymore this way. So this cycling thing evolves and as I get older I know that it will change for me. Before I get too old, I would like to get another road bike built for hill climbing like the Cervelo Soloist used by CSC at the Tour de France. I would like to go to the higher altitudes and train to go to Maui to climb Haleakala in less than 5 hours.

So don't be too disappointed and know that there's a lot of John Kerry aged boomers out there who are just starting to ride for enjoyment and well being just like you and me.

GrannyGear 01-07-06 02:59 PM

Hawk,
Consider some things. 12mph is not a bad ride at all relative to a very poorly fitting bike (6.5 inches of extra seat tube! NTM top tube, stem extension....I ride a 54 and don't much care for the same bike in a 56). You were on rolling terrain. Probably your first real ride in some time. While you may have good enough general fitness, cycling fitness gets specific....your body's mechanical efficiency needs to acclimate to pedaling, etc. And while road-style bikes are superior for long rides on highways, the position is one to get used to.

Give it time......you will acclimate to gearing as much as you find gearing that acclimates to you.

Sounds like you have a solid attitude. Many here came to (or came back to) cycling with diminished fitness due to inactivity or medical issues. Everyone makes progress--many report in with dramatic progress given time and dedication. Keep posting what you're doing and how your new bike rides.

hawkijohn 01-07-06 03:08 PM

tnx for the encouragement! I'm full of resolve and perhaps a little too anxious...Just yesterday I got a new book in the mail, "Bike for Life - How to ride to 100" It's got me PUMPED! I really recommend this reading. It's a tremendous resource for the veteran or the newbe like me.

jppe 01-07-06 04:17 PM

Don't be discouraged one bit!! You had everything working against you on this test ride. The bike fit is way off and that could easily make 5-10% difference. You'll be pleasantly surprised by getting a bike that fits. If it's an older unit chances are it's a little heavier and if you have some hills that can make some difference.

However, the biggest factor is the temperatures. We've been doing some longer rides in colder temperatures with some excellent riders and everyone has struggled with generating top power and speed in in colder temperatures.

In addition, I'm willing to bet your aerobic capacity has probably not been "tuned" for cycling. You can be in excellent condition but if you have not been riding or doing intervals or exercises that help build up your aerobic capacity, then that area will improve with the proper training. With some attention to it, you should be able to sustain a higher output over a longer period of time.

stapfam 01-07-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by hawkijohn
Today I took my first real ride on a road bike with drop bars. It's a borrowed older unit that's way too big for me (62.5 and I fit a 56) and has only the two chain rings so it's no hill climber. I'm almost 55 but consider myself to be in good condition. I rode 10 miles in 50 min.

How did you know its no hillclimber? You obviously found a hill !!!. Gearing is one of those things that we all have to sort out- older legs on an older body that has not been used for some time could be a reason, but probably it is set up with too high a gearing. Not being a roadie, I use a mountain bike on the few road rides I do and I have 48/36/24, or 44/32/22 on the mountain bike. Most road bikes have a 52 or higher front sprocket. I can go fast enough with the 48 but then one of the things you will learn about is cadence and spinning. Then a bike that fits is easier to ride aswell. As to the 12mph- there are still some of us that would like to get up to this speed.

You have a long way to go, so don't be worried about your "Lack" of achievement today. You will be paying for it tomorrow.

hawkijohn 01-07-06 05:29 PM

You mentioned cadence, I'm wondering if a computor showing cadence would be good for a novice like me to help me stay in the proper gearing range.

DnvrFox 01-07-06 05:50 PM

You mentioned cadence, I'm wondering if a computor showing cadence would be good for a novice like me to help me stay in the proper gearing range.

Not necessary, but not a terrible idea.

I have been riding since 1998 (started at age 58) and only got a cadence computer this winter - and I use it only for my training bike in the basement.

I check my cadence occasionally while riding just by counting complete revolutions for about 20 seconds then x's 3.

It may take a couple of years (or more) to build up your cadence to where some of us have ours, and many folks ride just fine at lower cadences. It took me about 3 years to build up consistently to about 85-95 rpm.

I would not place this as a priority at this time. Later, maybe.=.

GrannyGear 01-07-06 07:21 PM

Cadence? The one concern is that, with rusty older knees, a smooth cadence in moderate gears is far healthier than pushing big gears more slowly....at least until muscles and connecting tissues (which take longer than muscles) begin to strengthen.
I would be more concerned now with a gear choice that is appropriate to conditioning. If your gear is too "easy", you'll feel like a frantic hummingbird while pedaling; if too heavy, your knees and quads will soon let you knowl. Think smoothness and "feel" right now more than numbers.....you've got lotsa time to work on rpm's, one-legged drills, etc. For now, just get out and put in some smooth feeling miles testing your limits now and then.

hawkijohn 01-07-06 07:37 PM

"Frantic Hummingbird" - I like that!

jppe 01-07-06 08:52 PM

Here's my experience/thoughts if it helps any:

I used a relatively inexpensive cyclometer with cadence (Cateye Astrale) from the onset. It helped me to push myself to keep a higher cadence than I might have without it. I focused on trying to keep my cadence in the 90-100 range which I was able to train myself to do except on longer climbs where your cadence will generally decrease. My goal was to keep my heart rate and my cadence in a certain ranges.

Over time I can pretty much guess what both my heart rate and my cadence are, but I still use the displays occassionally. As my leg strength has increased over time, I've found that when I'm trying to maximize my power output (time trials, pulling groups, closing gaps, etc), my cadence is a little lower. I now actually perform best when my cadence is around 85. On climbs I strive to keep it around 70-as long as that doesn't drive my heart rate too high.

During time trials, some folks use their speed as a gauge to change gears. I've found that if I ignore speed and focus on cadence it helps me to get the most out of what I can do.

Retro Grouch 01-08-06 09:10 AM

Definitely off topic but what's near Watkins, Iowa? I'm thinking that rural Watkins, Iowa might be redundent.

p8rider 01-08-06 10:20 AM

Glad your with us hawkijohn. As weather permits keep riding a bit. It is a disadvantage to have a mis-sized bike. So if you can stomach that you will only get better. Cadence will come, for now ride at a pace that is comfortable, just to become accustomed to riding. Depending upon your progression, lets say by March you might begin to push it up and really go for some workout rides. All this time just keep riding to build up some "base" miles
As it goes you should feel better and better. The important thing is to ride and getting it into your daily regimen. Once you consistantly ride other things will come along.

hawkijohn 01-08-06 07:03 PM

LOL...saying RR Watkins is VERY redundant. Watkins has something like 100 people but that's too cosmopolitan to suit this country boy. We're 20 miles from Cedar Rapids actually.

hawkijohn 01-08-06 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by p8rider
Glad your with us hawkijohn. As weather permits keep riding a bit. It is a disadvantage to have a mis-sized bike. So if you can stomach that you will only get better. Cadence will come, for now ride at a pace that is comfortable, just to become accustomed to riding. Depending upon your progression, lets say by March you might begin to push it up and really go for some workout rides. All this time just keep riding to build up some "base" miles
As it goes you should feel better and better. The important thing is to ride and getting it into your daily regimen. Once you consistantly ride other things will come along.

I felt a little muscle soreness in the back last night and this morning but I'm fine now. I think I need to ease into using the drops. I'm accustomed to sitting bolt upright on my Schwinn Evo Comp stationary bike, a postion I don't like but have no choice on it. I'll heed your advice and try to ride every day weather and road conditions allow. I'm getting seriously addicted to this whole culture!

GrannyGear 01-08-06 08:45 PM

Hawk,
Keep in mind your current frame is way too big, which, unless you have the leg/torso/arm proportions of an orangutang, you are probably way too far extended. No hands riding may not be available now (for total sitting up for back relief), but getting up off the saddle regularly just to straighten your spine and also getting totally off the bike for a few moments during rides might be called for until your "real" bike arrives. Staying on bar tops and hoods might also be good. How far are you from having your own bike?

hawkijohn 01-09-06 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Hawk,
Keep in mind your current frame is way too big, which, unless you have the leg/torso/arm proportions of an orangutang, you are probably way too far extended. No hands riding may not be available now (for total sitting up for back relief), but getting up off the saddle regularly just to straighten your spine and also getting totally off the bike for a few moments during rides might be called for until your "real" bike arrives. Staying on bar tops and hoods might also be good. How far are you from having your own bike?

I'm sure you're right about the size issues, this bike of my friend is huge. I never see a 62.5 in the lbs as I've been poking around of late. Until I get my own, I will stay on the top bars and take more frequent breaks. I hope to have my new bike w/in a week or ten days. That will feel good!

DnvrFox 01-09-06 07:06 AM

I think I need to ease into using the drops.
Some folks have the impression that because the drops are there, they must use them all of the time.

Usage of the drops varies considerably from rider to rider and adjustment of the bicycle.

I hardly ever use them, reserving them only for downhills and "into the wind."

jppe 01-09-06 08:55 AM

I'm sure you're right about the size issues, this bike of my friend is huge. I never see a 62.5 in the lbs as I've been poking around of late. Until I get my own, I will stay on the top bars and take more frequent breaks. I hope to have my new bike w/in a week or ten days. That will feel good!

I'm one that rides the "62" frames. I have the stem, seat post, etc adjusted so it's a good fit for me but I have fairly long arms and legs. I would agree that you will not see very many in LBS's. It took me several months to get a new frame and then again a replacement frame when it was needed. They just don't make that many to begin with..........

Would also agree with Dnver re the drops. You'll see racers down in the drops quite a bit but like Dnver I find the only times I use them is into headwinds. pulling a group or even just to change positions on longer rides. Plus, it's harder to get down there this time of year with all the extra clothes and extra tire around the waist from the holidays!!!!!

shokhead 01-09-06 09:01 AM

I use the drops anout 1/2% of the time.