My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike storage solutions

Another day, another question!

I now have three and a half bikes in my two bedroom townhouse apartment (with no garage). Two and a half have kickstands, one does not. Currently the two larger bikes live in the living room, and my daughter's bike and the half bike (same size as daughter's) crowd up the dining room.

Is there some kind of freestanding contraption I can get that would hold perhaps three bikes on it above one another in one corner of a room? I can't really attach anything to the walls (nor do I want to) but space is becoming a real issue. Any other creative ideas are welcome, too. I have an upstairs balcony but hesitate to leave any of the bikes outside all the time. But maybe (with covers, perhaps?) that's the solution for the singlespeed, and my daughter's bike (she's not here fulltime).

Help!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this on Ebay might do. You can probably find one locally. I'll post the link so that you can see what they look like. Hope it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Bike-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OldCrank's solution seems very worth considering. But as an alternative, maybe a bit cheaper, and assuming you have at least a double bed.........perhaps you could tuck Lucky in next to you. Think of the late night conversations!
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank
    Something like this on Ebay might do. You can probably find one locally. I'll post the link so that you can see what they look like. Hope it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Bike-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem
    I second that one. Linda and I have one in the garage. Stable, light and very strong. Just leans up against the wall and the weight of the bikes keeps it there.

Very slick!

Steve

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will help me as well. I have 4 bikes hanging from the garage ceiling and up to 6 more bikes on the garage floor. I've put tons of other stuff on shelves to make rooms for the bikes but need to go vertical and this is exactly what I need.

BTW, I used a wall mount to put one bike up on the wall only to hear it come crashing down, narrowly missing one of my cars.......If I can ever stay off the bike long enough I still need to patch that hole in my sheetrock!!

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use a floor stand that holds six bikes. It is made like one at the schools, but smaller. I got it from my LBS, but you could probably buy one at a discounter like Academy Sports or elsewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-08-06 at 07:32 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG
    Harbor Freight has a neat rack: http://tinyurl.com/5yg2u

It seems to me that they're in the latest sales flyer that I got even though the website doesn't show it.

John in Oregon

My Bikes
    1986 Hujsak, 2005 Bike Friday NWT, 2007 Surly LHT, 2008 Robert Beckman, Thorn Nomad MK2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check http://www.brandsonsale.com/floor-to...ike-racks.html. I use something very similar to their oak rack, and am quite happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leaning wall racks suggested are one possible solution. I think going that route is a temporary fix at best. Time to buy a big house with a three car garage. Then park your car in the driveway and save the garage for your expanding fleet of bikes. Yes, this solution will cost you at least $700,000 more than the wall rack solution, but we're talking about quality of life here. What's a little more money when it comes to enjoying life?
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    DG
    Harbor Freight has a neat rack: http://tinyurl.com/5yg2u

It seems to me that they're in the latest sales flyer that I got even though the website doesn't show it.

John in Oregon
    Until I get the new house (!), I think this one is the best solution for me. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay