Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally! An outdoor ride!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 02:17 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Linda and I finally got to hit the road here in Minnesnowta on Saturday. It felt great! 33 degrees and sunny with a light (about 7mph) NW wind and the roads were dry and clear. We did just just over 21 miles, and it was Linda's maiden voyage on her xmas present - a brand spanking new Specialized Ruby.

It's been an early winter here this year - last winter we rode every month EXCEPT January. Our last ride before this one was November 11th. Since that time, we've been putting the hours in on the trainers.

All in all, it was great feeling getting out and feeling the fresh air (even it was cold air!).

Later!

Steve
Old 01-08-06, 05:19 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to go out most of last week here in SW Ohio. It is going to be in the mid 40's for the most of next week, as well. December was nearly a washout for rides. Snow and below normal temps all month. I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike paths. Last week I mostly just rode residential streets. I put my bike rack back on my car in anticipation.
Old 01-08-06, 06:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was also able to get out twice this past week. I could feel my base conditioning was slipping. as much as I didlike the idea, I am starting to mull over the idea of buying a trainer. Bob
Old 01-08-06, 10:36 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We are luckier over here as I get out most weeks. Sometimes I wish I hadn't and this morning was one of those. After Xmas and only one other rider so were going to have a quick blast to the coast - coffee and back. 5 miles in and I wanted a breakfast so change of route and hit the hills. Up a trail and and 150m climb in 1/2 mile. We call the path the White one. Pure chalk with clay in the hollows and ruts. Not an easy climb and the not made easier with the clay covering the chalk. Got to the top and it started raining- and it did not stop. Ground was a bit dry so decided to hit the woods with the dryer soil. No way was it dry- mud in most places and a thick covering of decaying leaves on the rest. Got to breakfast and it rained more. The mud on the way back got deeper and softer and made the bike very heavy. Sense took over and abandon that route and get back on the road for a quick ride home. May have been quicker but it was almost as dirty. Got home Soaked, cold but elated. Most of our riding this winter has been on the recognised trails that on most occasions are well drained chalk. Has made for a sensible ride but not too aspiring. Today we chanced the true off road in not the ideal conditions and it was fantastic. Attachment was when we got back after 5 miles on the road to wash off most of the mud. Bit of washing to do before I am allowed back in the house again.Sorry about no pictures on the ride, but water and electronics don't mix.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 10:52 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After not riding on the roads, and riding a fluid trainer 5-6 times a week, for a couple of months, I was surprised at how it felt. The first sensation was that the bike felt really loose. I was all over the road. That went away after a couple of miles, but then I was surprised at how much more difficult it was than riding the trainer. On the trainer, I'd get my heart rate up around 160 bpm max, but on hills outside, I'd hit almost 170 bpm. We've been faithfully doing a number of the harder spinervals and I really expected the road to be a breeze.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Steve
Old 01-08-06, 04:06 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
After not riding on the roads, and riding a fluid trainer 5-6 times a week, for a couple of months, I was surprised at how it felt. The first sensation was that the bike felt really loose. I was all over the road. That went away after a couple of miles, but then I was surprised at how much more difficult it was than riding the trainer. On the trainer, I'd get my heart rate up around 160 bpm max, but on hills outside, I'd hit almost 170 bpm. We've been faithfully doing a number of the harder spinervals and I really expected the road to be a breeze.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Steve
With respect to your heart rate question, I've seen the same thing happen. This December was tough for getting any consistent riding done due to snow, took a spinning class that was called "extreme cycling" a very structured program where you are really hammering your legs and maintaining 70-90% HR for extended periods, plus got in consistent time on the trainer so figured getting back on the road would be in fine shape. What I've found is that my HR seems to be about 5-10 beats higher for what seems to be the same perceived effort. Don't know if it is the extra gear I'm wearing to keep warm, the fact I'm working by arms more on climbs but I do see the same thing. It has been in the 30's & 40's since News Years Day so have gotten a number of rides out in the country which is a great way to start the new year, nothing better then getting back on the road.