Thread: New Lighting

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Lighting

As part of my new bike stuff to go along with my T5200 I picked up a new headlamp system. It is a Nightpro Elite. I have used it now on my morning exercise rides. It is a great improvement from my front strobe (which I still have). It is helmet mounted so moves directionally with me. For the first time in months I can see my computer during a ride.
    The owner of my LBS recommended it as a further way to make vehicles aware of you. He claims that during the day you make a point to make eye contact with the driver of cars at intersections so with this he says you get a similar effect by looking directly towards the driver. It is very hard for them to ignore a bright light directed at them. Combined with the flashing strobe I feel it is a real plus. The light comes with a recharging battery pack
    So far I like it alot. I was worried about the weight of the thing on my helmet, but I really can't tell it's there at all. I hope it lasts as it was sort of expensive.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    As part of my new bike stuff to go along with my T5200 I picked up a new headlamp system. It is a Nightpro Elite. I have used it now on my morning exercise rides. It is a great improvement from my front strobe (which I still have). It is helmet mounted so moves directionally with me. For the first time in months I can see my computer during a ride.
    The owner of my LBS recommended it as a further way to make vehicles aware of you. He claims that during the day you make a point to make eye contact with the driver of cars at intersections so with this he says you get a similar effect by looking directly towards the driver. It is very hard for them to ignore a bright light directed at them. Combined with the flashing strobe I feel it is a real plus. The light comes with a recharging battery pack
    So far I like it alot. I was worried about the weight of the thing on my helmet, but I really can't tell it's there at all. I hope it lasts as it was sort of expensive.

Can recommend helmet lamps- even offroad. We have tried a variety of lamps on the bike, but our problem is not being seen- It is actually seeing where we are going. There is no way we can afford the new lamps with L ion batteries that give good clear light for up to 4 hours or more, so make do with a mixture of LED's and rechargable 10 watt lamps. Still something missing in the viewing stakes, or was until we got the helmet lamps. Mine is a 2 lamp system- 1-2-or 3 leds for close range work to see the handlebar controls, and a 1 watt Spot Lamp. Now I can see wherever we want as you only have to point the lamp and it is visible. There are plenty of manufacturers on these lamps, and I actually took my helmet along to ensure that it would fit. There were plenty that would not.

Managed to edit this instead of reposting- 12 watts- you are going to be seen with that- Mine is only 1 watt and is pretty good, but is not rechargable. Only advantage batteries have over rechargable systems is that you can change them when they run out See if you can find a link to your lamps web page as I am interested in that system.
    Last edited by stapfam; 01-08-06 at 10:44 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew you would have the real lowdown on lighting because of your offroading in the dark Stapfam.
    This system is a single bulb, 12 watt with the NiMH battery pack it has an advertised burn time of 2 hours. This is well beyond my morning exercise ride time so I think it may be fine. It is a real joy to see things. I think I am really going to like it.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a really practical and effective light. I like thr idea of it being where you are looking, too. Does that the light have a cord to the battery that slides into a jersey pocket by chance? I'm trying to visualize how that works.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the light has a cord to the battery pack. It disconnects up near the lamp itself and is a positive lock connector. The light has a switch. There is plenty of wire to travel down your back and into the back jersey pocket or in my case, I drop it into a fanny pac. It leaves you very free for movement, I don't even realize it is there.
    The battery pack itself is contained in a nylon pouch with velcro. I guess you could attach it directly to the bike somehow, but for me it is more comfortable in my pack. That way when I dismount I am not attached to the bike.