Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winter training in Florida completed

    Hello and Happy New Year.
    I just got back from Florida doing two weeks of intensive (for me) biking. We found a nice motel in Inverness, FL for under $60 per night. This motel is right on a paved bike trail which is 46 miles long. It is possible to average 17 miles/HR against wind and 20++MPH with wind. I did 1000 miles in 10 days. (we spend a few days in Epcot)
    Here is the experiences worth mentioning:
    Nutrition was a problem. I am going from low sodium German Home cooking to typical southern cheap restaurant fare. That caused all kinds of problems and sleepless nights. Energy bars did not fix the problem.
    Eventually I setled for pancakes, grits, omelets, mashed potatoes and hamburgers. I had serious problems with eating cold cut sandwiches and drinking milk. My weight went up 5 lb. in the two weeks.

    Humidity was a problem. I used Hinds Gel type shorts. The temperature ranged from below 60 to near 80.
    Sweat formed between the legs and the friction caused a sore spot. I switched to Pearl Izumi and used a lot of cream to control but not fix the problem.

    I used a Cannondale R2000 modified with 4 Inch stem, Aero bars. That worked fine.

    I started with a Brooks pro saddle and a Brooks Champion flyer saddle. I ended up with a Serpas saddle.

    The purpose of this exercise was to see what I may encounter on an upcoming 3000 mile cross country trip. I did come up with a head cold from unknown causes. I did upper body exercises every day for about an hour.The 100 miles per day were a job but not excessive. Of course we know Florida has no mountains.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Florida country cooking is a killer

    No supermarkets in the area??

  3. #3
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear from you Will!! I have wondered how your training was coming for the big ride.

    Interesting issue with the sore spot. I had a friend that did the cross country trip a few years ago and ran into the same problem while doing the ride. It's good that you were able to find that and hopefully come up with a solution prior to the ride. I've gone to some Giordana cycling shorts which have less padding but appear to eliminate some issues like that.

    Keep us updated on your training! It sounds like you're right on pace for a very successful event.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
    The Florida country cooking is a killer

    No supermarkets in the area??
    Yes, there are. However, I am cooking impaired and my wife was crashing due to a family tragedy and needed a break. So here we are. BTW I expect the same problem on the cross country trip. She will not be there to baby me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Great to hear from you Will!! I have wondered how your training was coming for the big ride.

    Interesting issue with the sore spot. I had a friend that did the cross country trip a few years ago and ran into the same problem while doing the ride. It's good that you were able to find that and hopefully come up with a solution prior to the ride. I've gone to some Giordana cycling shorts which have less padding but appear to eliminate some issues like that.

    Keep us updated on your training! It sounds like you're right on pace for a very successful event.
    I have been warned that this may happen by participants. They recommend "Duo Derm" cream.
    I did not have it on this trip. Anyone tried it?
    Do you think "Giordana" are better for this than "Pearl Izumi"? Please be candid. I have no ax to grind.
    Thanks for your good wishes.

  6. #6
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Do you think "Giordana" are better for this than "Pearl Izumi"? Please be candid. I have no ax to grind.
    Thanks for your good wishes.
    My personal experience has been that I'm more comfortable with the Giordana shorts. The model I'm using is "thinner" than the Pearl Izumi models I've tried. I use a lot of Pearl Izumi's other products but their shorts just don't seem to fit me for whatever reason. I'd tend to get "rubbing" on the inside of my crotch and I suspect if I tried to use them multiple days it could lead to sores. They seemed to actually have too much padding to suit my taste. Pearl Izumi makes a nice pair of shorts but for me I prefer the Giordana's.

    I don't want to put any doubt into your thinking at this stage but obviously that is something you want to feel very, very good about before doing your trek!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    rockford, il
    My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Posts
    2,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    My personal experience has been that I'm more comfortable with the Giordana shorts. The model I'm using is "thinner" than the Pearl Izumi models I've tried. I use a lot of Pearl Izumi's other products but their shorts just don't seem to fit me for whatever reason. I'd tend to get "rubbing" on the inside of my crotch and I suspect if I tried to use them multiple days it could lead to sores. They seemed to actually have too much padding to suit my taste. Pearl Izumi makes a nice pair of shorts but for me I prefer the Giordana's.

    I don't want to put any doubt into your thinking at this stage but obviously that is something you want to feel very, very good about before doing your trek!!!
    Well, I want your "personal" experience. I will buy two Giordana shorts (thinner type).
    BTW, you should see how much thicker the pad on the Hinds shorts are. Pearl Izumi look like no pad in comparison. But I need all the good help I can get, so thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •