User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I did it! (new bike)

Took the plunge and, at nearly 55, bought my first road bike. I went with the Trek 2.1 spa. Now the only problem is it's blowing about 30 to 35 mph out there and about 30 degrees. Lookin for temps in the 40 tomorrow and I'm hoping for some good miles. No extras for now except a cat eye comp and new spd shoes.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike!! That should get you around all over the Hawkeye state! From the specs it looks like it has carbon seat stays, fork and seat post. Plus it has Ultegra front and rear derailleurs. Sweet!!

Is your the blue color that is posted on their web site?

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...id=1451000&f=2

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a gorgeous bike. Quick question: how did you decide to pop for the s.p.a. option? Did you try with and without?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang it, I'm s.p.a.l.e.s.s. Congrats!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The blue alone would set off my envy factor....but pleasing blend of components and mix of materials. Be interesting to hear your ride impressions with the s.p.a.

And, very importantly, this bike fits-- unlike the borrowed bike you were on....and you now have gears for every need you might have. Enjoy and post some pics.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - the sun is shining bright, it's up to 25, I think I have the cleats adjusted properly and I'm ready to go! After the test ride yesterday, I felt everything was right. I have not spent enough time yet to evaluate the "spa" but it did feel pretty good going over some RR tracks. Probably more important for me was the componant upgrade and I really like the color. I'll give a more detailed report later today after getting some miles done. WOW! so great to be on any bike that actually fits!

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John,

Great to see you made the step and like the decision! Don't think I could take the 25 degree stuff, though.

We had snow flurries last night and is up to 39 here today. But since my bride had the cables and bearings replaced in my Schwinn for Christmas, and I just got it out of the LBS, I had to ride it. I got in only 10 miles before my feet got cold. Not a great thing for diabetics.

Anyway, keep us posted on the SPA.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike! Once you've ridden it a bit, let us know what you think of the s.p.a. feature.

From what I've seen reading this forum, there is something about getting a new bike that consistently makes the weather get bad!

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did get in about 17 miles today, mostly after it warmed up this afternoon to about 40. I really do love the new ride! I'm not sure how much to credit the spa feature or the "buzz kill" but it is comfy. I ride a section of road that is textured concrete. On the borrowed bike I was riding, there was significant buzz, but not even noticable on the spa. I'd have to go over the same bumps again with both bikes to really evaluate the benifits of the spa. Probably the big improvement for me right off is the good fit vs old bike. I spent quite a bit of time on the drops and did not get the sore back I did on the other bike. That may be due to both the good fit and the slightly more relaxed geometry of the Pilot. Anyway...this is going to be a long time love affair I'm sure. I ride for pleasure but I also enjoy challenging myself physically so I'm committed to doing my first century by early spring ( or late spring if winter seriously returns ) BTW, this is only the second bike I've ever owned. The other being a junker I highly modified when I was a kid. Got into all the motorized toys for so many yrs but it's nice to come full circle. I love the open road and I love something that's really finely engineered AND I love being the motor!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawk,
    What you wrote just above is exactly what makes a "not-Fred": nothing to do with clothes and gear, but everything to do with a certain esprit of cycling. Anyway, glad your bike has fulfilled your expectations and set you towards that century goal. That blue color is way-cool.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Hawk,
    What you wrote just above is exactly what makes a "not-Fred": nothing to do with clothes and gear, but everything to do with a certain esprit of cycling. Anyway, glad your bike has fulfilled your expectations and set you towards that century goal. That blue color is way-cool.
    Blue color looks good in pictures but actually you've got to see it in the sun!

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures! We want pictures (of YOU and the bike!). Happy riding!