Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support Group for SERIOUS CYLISTS?

I had a recent on line discussion with Denver Fox on another list and he disagreed with my impression of this Forum as being a support group/province for Serious Cyclists, i.e. Road Cycling Enthusiasts.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but the majority of posts seem to be about how to continue or step up to Serious Cycling; subjects to include dropping other cyclists, cycling X number of miles on training rides, counting/logging mileage, tracking cadence, acquiring/comparing/ lusting for high priced Serious Cycling equipment and associated paraphernalia (expensive Road bicycles, cycling specific clothing, pedal- shoe systems, cycling computers, Heart Rate Monitors, etc).

Yes, I have read posts that acknowledged that all cycling is good, even if not done on Serious Bicycles, or at Serious speed. But to me, these almost always seemed condescending towards those cyclists who don't want to "step up" to the higher level of a Real Roadie.

So my question is - are there any 50+ year olds on this list who cycle either for recreation or transportation (or both) and eschew the Serious Cyclist Roadie esotericism, and have no desire to become a Serious Cyclist; but prefer to just be a cyclist, i.e. "Freds," to use a term often used in derision by snooty cyclists towards cyclists like myself who don't fit the Serious Cyclist Roadie/Club Cyclist profile.

Note: I am 3 weeks from my 59th birthday and commute daily year round, 24 miles R/T, on a 6 year old city bike bought in Germany for DM268, (about $135) and don't own a stitch of cycling clothing and do not aspire to raise my performance level but just to continue enjoy cycling.

I have no problem with anyone's cycling preference but am curious as to why the discussion of this over 50 Forum is so narrowly focused.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must be reading a different forum than I see here. I would say that the kinds of posts you described are a small minority of what I've seen in the 50+ forum.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a self-proclaimed Fred (and proud of it) and I love this forum. To me, there's something for everyone. Technical advice, encouragement, good-natured showing off of new bikes or meeting personal challenges, good exchange of information and experiences related to health issues, an abundance of humor, good photos now and then, and just the right amount of emphasis on what's REALLY important: pie.

Some posts are way over my head but I learn something, some are not terribly interesting (TO ME) so I ignore them, but most fit my needs to a Tee. (But not to a jersey.)

I'm happy here!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time my cycling this winter has been on a $300 1998 Specialized Hardrock Mtn Bike. I generally wear Levis with a rubber band around my right pants leg, tennis shoes, some sort of a hooded pullover type of thingie, and blue heavy skiing gloves or black driving gloves.

Today, I did get out my paraphernalia, and got duded up, but it was a really nice day, and I really wanted to take my brand new (well, 1999 ) Lemond out for a spin.

It is pretty hard to categorize 50+rs in this forum, IMHO. I think you read into things what one wants to read.

Here is my winter "Serious" bike! I will try to find a picture of me all duded up in my levis and rubber band.

And here is my OFFICIAL "Fred" outfit! (Sorry you can't see the rubber band - but it is there!)

Pretty classy, heh!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-13-06 at 06:46 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Denver and DG. I putz around quite a bit on my 35 year old Peugeot. Ride a ratty mtb on the gravel roads around here with buds for fun. But occassionaly put on a number and race a criterion or a tri. Do centuries a few times a year and race my pals in phony training "races" every weekend.

I don't know what that makes me. I'm serious about cycling, but I don't think I'm a serious cyclist. What?

Tyson
    Cushing, OK

My Bikes
    Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been riding for more than 30 years, so in that sense I am a "serious" cyclist, but my riding is purely recreational. I'm not out to drop anyone, I'm not trying to see how fast I can go or how long I can ride before I drop from exhaustion, so if that's some ones definition of serious than I'm definately not.
    As for some of the threads, we may talk about expensive bikes because we've reached that point in life where we can afford them and if you can spend two grand on a nice set of wheels then why shouldn't you. The same goes for clothing, if there are some shorts or shirts that are more comfortable than others then I'll wear them.
    My neighbors probably think I'm a serious cyclist, either that or they think I'm just plain crazy, but to me I'm just a little old Fred out on the back roads taking in the cows and drafting behind the Amish horse and buggies.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    no desire to become a Serious Cyclist; but prefer to just be a cyclist, i.e. "Freds," .
    Sorry, Like-to-Bike, just the fact that you're here talking about cycling lends you an air of "serious"--at least serious enough for us. There's a rainbow of bicyclers at 50Plus, from JPPE who rides weekly centuries to others who just go out for a spin with their wives to Stepfam who, heaven knows why LOL, slops around in the mud at night, to DG who insists on being a Fred. I think what unites people here is an attitude of pleasure and reward in getting out the house and down the road.

Naturally, some people continue to educate themselves on esoteric things like cable end crimping and electrolyte drinks, while others could care less. Some set centuries and cross country rides as their goal, others just as happily are content with getting to ride with their kids. Above all, what brings people back is the notion of staying active, healthy, and exuberant......for some its golf, others have wild sex , we are joined by a common love of cycling...whether Serious for some or "merely" pleasant and useful for others.

The nice thing is regular posters here respect one another and are mutually encouraging. Hence DG's popularity...he may not be a "wrench" (wretch?) yet, but he shares his catch-fire esprit. So stick around and offer your opinions and experiences. Always welcome.

P.S. Most fun I've had cycling lately is putzing around Santa Cruz with my 20 year old daughter on my '93 purple RockHopper. We walked up the hills.
    Last edited by GrannyGear; 01-13-06 at 06:51 PM.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonB
    I don't know what that makes me. I'm serious about cycling, but I don't think I'm a serious cyclist. What?
    My question really wasn't meant to address what kind of cyclists post; but rather what is posted and emphasized on this forum.

My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Sorry, Like-to-Bike, just the fact that you're here talking about cycling lends you an air of "serious"--at least serious enough for us. ...
    The nice thing is regular posters here respect one another and are mutually encouraging. Hence DG's popularity...he may not be a "wrench" (wretch?) yet, but he shares his catch-fire esprit. So stick around and offer your opinions and experiences. Always welcome.
    Thanks Granny, I might do that. Perhaps, I was misinformed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question really wasn't meant to address what kind of cyclists post; but rather what is posted and emphasized on this forum.
    Whatever is emphasized is the cumulative wisdom and input of those posting. Believe it or not, there IS NO MASTER PLAN!

This forum was started to give a welcoming place to those 50+ - in particular those who may just be entering bicycling or returning after a long period. The emphasis has changed with different groups of posters, as it should!

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Like To Bike,

Check out the pics in my recent post "Outside Ride! In NH in JANUARY!" Nothing too serious about cycling with those cute little fur balls.

Bob
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    And here is my OFFICIAL "Fred" outfit! (Sorry you can't see the rubber band - but it is there!)

Pretty classy, heh!
    You showed yours; I'll show mine. At the German Formula 1 track in Hockenheim. Close enough to racing for me.

And also at the Mississippi River.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-13-06 at 07:17 PM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the pics-love the bike! You have it fixed up to handle a lot of different things! I can just imagine what Gary is doing.......he is off shopping on Craig's list looking for some of the gear you have on your bike to add to his single speed!!

Tell me about your front light just above the wheel. Is that powered from a "generator" or is there a battery somewhere?

Where is the bridge in the last photo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pictures. Really nice.

I hate to tell you, but I think I won the Fred contest!

Have a great evening!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You showed yours; I'll show mine.
    ILTB, I do believe you'd like most of the folks in 50+ They all seem to be good folks and even accept 'kids' like me joining in now and then. GrannyGear and I even did a saddle swap...which my GF now greatly appreciates. They don't judge based on bling, bikes, gear or clothing - they all enjoy different things and accept each other's differences. Just plain nice folks who like to bike...excuse the pun.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Thanks for the pictures. Really nice.

I hate to tell you, but I think I won the Fred contest!

Have a great evening!
    The Fred contest may be just too close to call. The bullwinkle Tshirt that I-Like-To-Bike is wearing gets lots of bonus points......

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, we had a Ride Your Age challenge...now we need some kind of official Are You a Fred challenge. Anyone got any ideas????
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I am, coming home on a snowy day:

Paul

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    a Fred challenge. Anyone got any ideas????
    Sure Gary, a random thought while my frozen dinner microwaves......what if we all showed FiftyPlus solidarity one Sat. morning by wearing jockey or boxer shorts on the outside of our lycras-- and argyle socks. Definitely not Serious Cyclist costumery. Doubt any passing OCP grupettos would want us to sit in. Save me from getting spit out the back as usual.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    Here I am, coming home on a snowy day:

Paul
    Paul, that snow makes this transplanted Ohioan kind of homesick! It looks so cold and crisp and fun to ride in!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox, seems to me you could be just a little more serious -- instead of using just an ordinary, every-day rubber band, you could at least cut one from an old inner tube!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be careful of the chain with any type of pants on my "new" bike, but you can wear just about any type of clothing you want. It is usually a good idea to keep things out of the back pockets, though.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...&PhotoID=10950
    Silver Eagle Pilot

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Sure Gary, a random thought while my frozen dinner microwaves......what if we all showed FiftyPlus solidarity one Sat. morning by wearing jockey or boxer shorts on the outside of our lycras-- and argyle socks. Definitely not Serious Cyclist costumery. Doubt any passing OCP grupettos would want us to sit in. Save me from getting spit out the back as usual.
    GrannyGear, The other folks at the trail are real tolerant of the old man here trudging along at a snails pace on the single track. But I think they'd draw the line at wearing my boxers on the outside. Some of the parents who bring their kids might even try to have me arrested! But I like the argyle socks. They would go real well with my sneakers wrapped in duct tape to keep the laces from tangling with the gears.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy
    DnvrFox, seems to me you could be just a little more serious -- instead of using just an ordinary, every-day rubber band, you could at least cut one from an old inner tube!
    It is NOT just an ordinary rubber band! I feel insulted.

It is a super duper deluxe large size (Alliance Advantage #32 3x 1/8) that I bought a box of 1 pound of about 12 years ago, and they still have a little bit of elasticity!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-14-06 at 06:23 AM.

My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Thanks for posting the pics-love the bike! You have it fixed up to handle a lot of different things! I can just imagine what Gary is doing.......he is off shopping on Craig's list looking for some of the gear you have on your bike to add to his single speed!!

Tell me about your front light just above the wheel. Is that powered from a "generator" or is there a battery somewhere?

Where is the bridge in the last photo?
    Tire Friction Generator, mounted on right fork. Bridge is at Burlington Iowa. The previously pictured three speed is the bike I used to commute when I lived near Heidelberg, Germany, and use on the weekends now. I did use the generator for night time cycling in Germany but now I use battery power on my regular 7 speed commuting bike pictured below. It has a generator on the rear left stay

Click on pictures for larger view:

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-13-06 at 09:33 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast