Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a result of coming to this forum, in my new quest to lose weight and begin to exercise, I was met with great encouragement! Not knowing ANYTHING AT ALL about bikes, I began to ask questions. Besides here, I did extensive research online. I saw the least expensive bikes, I saw the Rivindell bikes. And, what was in between. I was told to go to a few LBS and I did. I was told to take test rides, which I would not have known to ask for, and so I did. I tested cool road bikes (my amateur racer son was shocked but pleased) and I tested heavy touring bikes. I found there was a new category of bike called comfort, but soon ruled them out. I also briefly considered recumbents (comfort factor). And a few hybrids but early on realized I hated the handle bars on hybrids (although i knew i could change them) and didn't care for dropped bars.

I will use the bike for fitness every day, even in light rain, and recreational rides w/my husband and maybe, will begin to think about lite touring down the road. I live in a hilly area, so i was looking for good, low, gearing. Here's where chipcom comes in....I would probably never ever have heard about the Breezer bike if he had not thrown that into the equation for me. I looked at it, then forgot about it, then looked at it, in an effort to be open to everything.

So, yesterday, we took a ride, 2+ hours, to the only dealer around who had one in stock (see, they sell quick!) and bought it! It's a thing of beauty and function! I figure down the road if I want serious speed, then I get a road bike, as these are two different animals and i didn't think one bike could give me low gearing and go fast. For now, this is perfect! Thank you all and thanks chipcom!! You were right. This bike is a well kept secret for people like me. All the shops called it a commuting bike. But for someone just starting out again, and maybe living in a hilly area, it means the difference between getting cranky and walking up a hill or feeling confident in one's increasing abilities and riding up the hill. Plus, it will do touring too! So, fitness, recreation, touring, it does it all for someone like me.

Oh, it's the Breezer Liberty that I got! And what a great LBS it was too. Thanks all, again!
    Last edited by tivoli1; 01-15-06 at 05:27 AM.

My Bikes
    2006 BMC Pro Machine - SLC01 (07 Record), 2007 BMC Team Machine -SLT01 (07 Chorus), Reynolds Tubular Wheelsets
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!

Great looking bike...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a GREAT first bike. You are going to have so much fun.

Ride reports, we want ride reports. And pictures of you on the bike!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    That is a GREAT first bike. You are going to have so much fun.

Ride reports, we want ride reports. And pictures of you on the bike!
    +1 again. Knew that if you talked to enough shops they would come up with a bike that suits you. The Breezer name is a good one, so you have a bought something with a bit of "Class " about it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, I think you are going to enjoy that bike! Stepfam hit the nail on the head - you have a bike with some class - ride with pride and most of all, have fun!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking bike! You're going to have a blast...

Now, in the back of your mind, start thinking about riding your age on your birthday. I know, I know. Sounds completely over the top. It did to me, too, but I was able to do it after a few months of riding. You will be too.

But whether you take up that challenge or not, most important thing is ride, have fun, repeat. Ride, have fun, repeat.

And yes, get a picture of your grin as you stand beside your new stallion. Good looking bike!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoli1
    As a result of coming to this forum, in my new quest to lose weight and begin to exercise, I was met with great encouragement!
    A word of warning....

Watch out for the people on this forum. In practically no time at all you will be doing things you might not have done without their encouragement. Next thing you know you'll be riding 10, 15, 20 miles and up. 3 times a week. 4 times. 5 times. Every day! Your family and coworkers will start to wonder who this new person is.

You'll start buying spandex and padded shorts and Sidi shoes.

Soon after that, you'll be riding your age on your birthday (heck, you'll be riding OTHER people's ages on THEIR birthdays!). Then come the centuries. Before you know it, you'll be hopelessly addicted. Then come the upgrades for your bike. Next, MORE bikes.

Don't say I didn't warn you

Steve

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool bike! Have fun & keep us posted!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bike T!! You ought to have a lot of fun riding around on your Breezer.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a "new" bike, too. It's 10 years younger than I am.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on buying the Breezer. Those of us who ride old school mountain bikes think fondly of Joe Breeze.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman

My Bikes
    Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you must be young! Look at that saddle, if it could talk! I'm slowly getting the fever. I've already purchased new handlebars with gel tape stuff. I'm looking longingly at the brooks 67s saddle, but that will wait a little bit. Riding my age? I'm lucky if I can ride my age in minutes!! I'm joking, I'm joking! Actually, we had crazy wind and threatening clouds this morning, but out I went to do my usual ride. It's interesting to ride a bike in different conditions...not only calm and sunny. The wind moved me and the bike a little, just once, and sometimes it came from behind and other times it really hit me head on, so I could test out those nice low gears. Lotta fun. I got those crazy handlebars from wallbike, ok, don't laugh. I like options and now I have the ultimate options plus gel stuff on the handlebars...as soon as the husband gets it together for me of course!

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wowsa! what a nice looking bike - great components, also!

i love the geometry of that frame - just curious, however - is that like a unisex type frame since, i'm presuming that you're a woman, the "breezer" website only shows this model - which i think would be a really cool bike for either a man or a woman.

have fun and congratulations - i'm jealous!

*sdr*
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

My Bikes
    Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    wowsa! what a nice looking bike - great components, also!

i love the geometry of that frame - just curious, however - is that like a unisex type frame since, i'm presuming that you're a woman, the "breezer" website only shows this model - which i think would be a really cool bike for either a man or a woman.

have fun and congratulations - i'm jealous!

*sdr*
    Yeah, I'm a girl! I think it goes both ways, the bike. ;-)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    i love the geometry of that frame - just curious, however - is that like a unisex type frame ...
    That was my first reaction -- the Breezer frame looks like an updated interpretation of the very popular mixte / unisex frames of the early 1970s. At Bikecology, we always had white Peugeot UO-18s backordered.