Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you rotate helmets?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you own & use more than one helmet?
I don' own no stinkin' helmet!
0%
I own only one and wear it.
46.34%
I rotate through multiple helmets.
53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Do you rotate helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-06, 08:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do you rotate helmets?

I find that with the heat & humidity (both ambient and generated by riding) that the open-cell foam inserts in my helmets rot & smell in a short period of time. To limit this, I own a number of helmets (typically three at a time) and rotate them from day to day. This seems to allow the foam helmet inserts to dry & last much longer. I also buy a new helmet about once every six months and retire the oldest of the three that are "in rotation."

Am I unique in this, or do others do the same - just curious...
Old 02-15-06, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one helmet. Been wearing it for nearly a year. I rinse it out after nearly every ride and replace the sweat pads occasionally. My wife says it doesn't stink yet. She should know.
Old 02-15-06, 09:12 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got two, but that happened sort of by mistake. I showed up at an event ride without my helmet so I had to buy another one. Now I usually keep the second one in the car, in case the same thing happens again. Did i tell you I'm a little absent minded?
Old 02-15-06, 09:58 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your poll has no option for those with more than one helmet who do not rotate. I have two. I use the newer one. THe older one is simply a spare. I guess I'd reuse it if something happened to the new one at least until I could buy another one.
Old 02-16-06, 03:14 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two. The spare is a skater/BMX type. The everyday helmet is a climber's hardshell type from 1978. Because bike crashing is a contact sport.
Old 02-16-06, 07:23 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I rotate for another reason. Being hair impaired I try to reduce the tiger stripe effect of suntanning by using helmets with different hole patterns on alternate rides.
Steve
Old 02-16-06, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I usually wait for Nashbar sale for my helmets. Right now I am down to 2. Althought it probably doesn't make too much difference, I use the darker blue one during the day and the lighter yellow one at night.
On the other hand, if both were similar colors, I would use the older "beater" for day to day local biking and the newer one for long distance riding.
Old 02-16-06, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I chose 'rotate' only because it was closest to correct for me. Actually, I have at last count 5 helmets of different colors/styles. I choose the one that goes with the outfit of the day best. Doood! Helmets are a style statement! B) Ahem, er, sorry!

I squirt my pads with water from my bottle after a ride, and then squeeze them out. They are dry in no time.
Old 02-16-06, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you wearing the helmets when engaging in this type of behavior?
Old 02-16-06, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, Marinoni Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottogo
Are you wearing the helmets when engaging in this type of behavior?
Old 02-16-06, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
I rotate for another reason. Being hair impaired I try to reduce the tiger stripe effect of suntanning by using helmets with different hole patterns on alternate rides.
Steve
Me too.
Old 02-16-06, 01:20 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I take the pads out, wash them and press them dry with a few paper towels, then let air finish the dry. I place my helmet in the dishwasher, top shelf, never had a problem.
Old 02-16-06, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 FX (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 and as well use baby shampoo to clean pads (probably won't burn your eyes if you don't rinse it all out before replacing pads)

Originally Posted by toolba
I have one helmet. Been wearing it for nearly a year. I rinse it out after nearly every ride and replace the sweat pads occasionally. My wife says it doesn't stink yet. She should know.
Old 02-16-06, 02:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by webist
Your poll has no option for those with more than one helmet who do not rotate. I have two. I use the newer one. THe older one is simply a spare. I guess I'd reuse it if something happened to the new one at least until I could buy another one.
Another user -just the same. I replace helmets on a regular basis- due to damage. 4 in the last 3 years. When I damage one- out comes the spare helmet till I can get yet another new helmet. That takes some doing as the range of helmets available is too good. Main point for me though is that it must be a mountain bike helmet- must be reasonable looking, has to be fairly lightweigh but most important is that it must fit and be comfortable. Then there is the colour, mustn't scare the dog or small children, and the wife has to have her purse on her. Well if the wife approves- then she can buy it- even if it is the wrong colour.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-16-06, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 years maximum use then trash. U-V light breakdown, wear and tear, etc... My head is worth it!!!!

Also, after just about every ride, I take it into the shower with me (in my hand, not on my head) and thoroughly flush it out. No soap used, just a very good soaking, then hang it up on the shower faucet until it is dry by the next morning. My helmet NEVER smells when I do this.

John
Old 02-16-06, 02:19 PM
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have multiple helmets, they are use specific.
I always use my downhill helmet and my downhill bike when I down hill.
I always use my night ride helmet when I go on night rides.
My hair-net just hangs on the wall crying.
Old 02-16-06, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I should go smell my helmet. The only thing I ever do is take it off. I did rotate it once...after a crash...
Old 02-16-06, 10:20 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have two and each of my sons have two more for a total of six. I rotate my helmets just because I like to wear a different helmet from time to time. Honestly, I never gave it much thought. But I have to admit, letting one air out makes sense.
Gloves are another story.
Old 02-17-06, 08:06 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't rotate my helmet. I tried it once but it hurt my head too much.
Old 02-17-06, 10:05 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Chuck5.2_in_CA]I guess I should go smell my helmet. The only thing I ever do is take it off. QUOTE]

+1 I must be the redneck trailer trash of cycling. I put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off, etc.

I do flip my gloves and mirror in it so things are ready to go. During the winter it usually just stays damp as it always ends up being left in the garage. There could be green stuff growing in it for all I know. Now you guys have me worried. Fungal infections of the scalp and ear tips are a cycling hazard.
Old 02-17-06, 02:44 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DEK
I don't rotate my helmet. I tried it once but it hurt my head too much.
+1 - Not only that, but the dang rear vents obstructed my vision too much .
Old 02-17-06, 03:55 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah, I rotate 'em. One's for warm/hot weather; t'other is for the cold and has a little more room for an Under Armor skullcap. Both stink and are bright orange.

Old 02-17-06, 05:56 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I note with curiosity that nobody yet is helmetless in this poll (not that I'm eager to restart that particular debate...). I suspect that additional caution comes with age?

I also see that some of youse guys actually take the foam pads out of the helmet for cleaning. Doesn't that rip the velcro off the foam?

I've never tried cleaning helmet pads myself - the "terry-cloth" surface of the foam that is supposed to be in contact with my head normally delaminates from the foam after about a month. I tolerate the remaining foams for the remainder of my six-month term with that particular helmet (I choose this interval because of inherent cheapness on my part). I then donate the helmet to the LBS to pass on and buy myself a replacement.

Since I replace helmets so often, I prefer to buy inexpensive Bell models. I also feel no conspicuous consumption regrets because I "recycle" my helmets to needy students. Based on this survey and another similar one that I see in the "General Cycling" forum, I conclude that I am unique among the BF members (oddball yet again! ) in changing helmets so often. Who knew??
Old 02-18-06, 10:30 PM

Bikes: Haro V2 MTB, Bad Boy Ultra w/700x28C & Bad Boy Ultra w/26x2.10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Steve
I believe you mean follically challenged
Old 02-19-06, 07:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Steve
1. Having had a lot of basal cell skin cancer (yes, on my scalp) I always wear a bandana

2. I do NOT like the newer types of helmets that sort of sit up higher with the "wheel" adjuster, as I can't easily use a head sweat band - not enough room.

3. Therefore, while I have a number of helmets, I always end up using the older model which accommodates my sweat band.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.