User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Bike For Life" = Great read!

I'm almost finished reading this book and I think I'll start from page 1 all over again. What a great resource for someone new to cycling like me or a life-long vet. I've learned so much and there is so much inspiration found in this book. Have any of you purchased it? I got mine from Amazon.

I really like bikes Kingofbeers's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Paramounts! - '65, '71, '74, '83, '98, '48 Schwinn Continental, '01 Homegrown Factory, Longbikes Tandem, '98 Trek Y-Foil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup - it's a great book. I've read it all the way through a couple of times, and still like to go back and re-read some of the interviews and mini-biographies.

I especially like the way it's laid out - training, nutrition and health chapters mixed in with stories about great riders past and present. The interview with Gary Fisher is one of the best.
    Schwinn Paramounts - 1965, '71, '74, 83
    Match Paramounts - '98, '99
    1948 Schwinn Continental
    1978 Medici Pro Strada
    1990 Cannondale ST 600
    1998 Trek Y-Foil
    1999 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    2000 Schwinn Homegrown MTB
    1999 Longbikes Tandem

My Bikes
    2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a copy from Amazon about a week ago. Other than glancing at a few pages haven picked it up. Looking forward to sitting down with it.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, 2005 Marin Argenta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I borrowed a copy from a friend in the fall, read it and asked Santa for a copy for Christmas. It is a great inspiration and reference book. My only complaint would be that the excercise and stretching routines are not illustrated and unless you are a gym junkie or otherwise wise to this stuff, the verbal descriptions are not always clear, to me anyway .

Overall, a great book to have, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their riding and challenge themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTaylor
    My only complaint would be that the excercise and stretching routines are not illustrated and unless you are a gym junkie or otherwise wise to this stuff, the verbal descriptions are not always clear, to me anyway .

Overall, a great book to have, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their riding and challenge themselves.
    That's my biggest complaint as well, especially as regards the stretching. Otherwise, a great resource, pock full of information. Some of it is contrary to what I've believed, though, as in the weight lifting, where it indicates the emphasis should be on stressing the quick twinge muscles. I've heard the opposite, ie that one should do the repetitions slowly, but have been experimenting with doing it in quick bursts.

Perhaps one in the know could bounce in with their expertise on this issue.

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of the lifting technigue, I've really taken to heart the importance of weight training, especially to keep the body in balance and prevent the out of balance condition that cycling alone will lead to.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkijohn
    Regardless of the lifting technigue, I've really taken to heart the importance of weight training, especially to keep the body in balance and prevent the out of balance condition that cycling alone will lead to.
    I concur. Weight lifting is the third part of my fitness regime, to complement cycling and running/hiking/walking. What little upper body strength I do have wastes away very rapidly if I don't maintain it.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in the least an expert, but regarding quick vs. slow...I feel the work and the "good" muscel stress more with slower movements. (My patience is tried more too!) Also, my older joints, with more wear and tear, do better with slower movements. I also like my Bowflex these days over free or machine weights. The initial lower resistance at the beginning of each movement seems more joint healthy than overcoming the higher inertia using free weights....for most exercises. That's my empirical experience at least.

And thanks for bringing "Bike for Life" to my attention...getting it thru Amazon.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    I concur. Weight lifting is the third part of my fitness regime, to complement cycling and running/hiking/walking. What little upper body strength I do have wastes away very rapidly if I don't maintain it.
    Also, studies have shown significant bone thinning for cyclists. The smooth motion does not trigger the body to build bone tissue like running does. Weight lifting, running or other impact type activities are so important to prevent osteoporosis in both men and women.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are right on about lifting. I actually hate it when I'm doing it, but, man, do I feel great the rest of the day. Like cycling, it is an on target stress reduction tool.

Another benefit for me is that I not only feel confident about taking on physical challenges, but look forward to them. Call it vanity or whatever, but I also feel more confident mingling with the outside world. I don't know how to put this into words, but, these days, I just am more self-assured than I was 40 pounds ago. I don't huff and puff myself through the day.

Fitness seems to beget the craving for more fitness and totally changes your focus in life.

Hey, a year ago, I wouldn't have even picked up a book like Bike For Life. Now, I get all charged up reading something like it.

As a matter of fact, when I'm in a place like Borders with a good magazine rack, guess which section I head for first?

All these things work symbiotically to motivate me to keep on keeping on. Well, I had to include one old cliche which only 50+ers have heard.