Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio and riding

Okay, be gentle, now. I do a lot of riding on the great bike paths here in the DC area. Afer a few dozen trips, it can get a bit repetitive and I was thinking of taking a radio along (iPod and the like do not interest me). Anyone have any recommendations about a small radio with good reception? The only thing I could find on the Forum was about XM. I am just intersted in listening to loacl radio stations. I promise I won't listen in traffic.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the MP3 players also incorporate very good FM radios. The one I have is by Sandisk. You can get a very good MP3 player with this feature for about $50-60. I have also seen FM radios for as little as $10-20, but once you have an MP3, I think you'll really enjoy it. I don't use mine on the open road, but on bike paths, it's a lot of fun. OHB

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    But once you have an MP3, I think you'll really enjoy it. I don't use mine on the open road, but on bike paths, it's a lot of fun. OHB
    My cycling to work is far more pleasurable now that I have combined my two 21st century discoveries. Mp3 players and the availability and price of music in mp3 format.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an "Old Fashioned" Sony sports radio that you see some joggers wearing on their arms. I bought some ear bugs and just put the radio in a rear jersey pocket. I listen to FM stations that carry hits from the 60's/70's. It's kinda fun when songs have lyrics about wheels or motion (Doobie Bros) or ones where you can match your cadence to the beat of the music.

A word of caution-my listening to the radio has not helped my hearing. I need to have the music loud enough to overcome the wind blowing over my ears so it's pretty loud. Plus I have to be even more careful as I can't hear vehicles approaching from behind-it's definitely safer to not use it. But, on many solo rides I enjoy the music...

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get off the bike paths and ride the road . . . it is legal, and yes, we have done it in D.C.
    On weekends your bikepaths are less safe than the road . . . too many folks don't pay attention or ^arggggggh!^ use radios and can't hear 'on yo left'!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem
    Get off the bike paths and ride the road . . . it is legal, and yes, we have done it in D.C.
    On weekends your bikepaths are less safe than the road . . . too many folks don't pay attention or ^arggggggh!^ use radios and can't hear 'on yo left'!
    Actually I do ride the roads a lot, especially on the weekends when the paths are overrun with joggers, walkers, prams, rollerblades and endless Freds and Fredettes. Rock Creek Park is excellent, especially when the road is closed. But mid-week, mid-day (aren't I lucky) the CCT and W&OD, Mt. Vernon and 4 mile run, C&O and Sligo Creek and all the other trails are all biker heaven. But even heaven gets a bit boring after several dozen passes.