Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New 2006 Rivendell Quickbeam Pics

Easily distracted...
    My Bikes
    Surley Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I like that color orange slightly more than the previous green. I'm not sure about the new tweed bags, though. Even if I had the extra cash, I doubt I would invest in a Quickbeam but I'm really glad Riv's making a bike like that.
    Safe, efficient, and comfortable transportation.

My Bikes
    C'dale tandem, Specialized Roubaix,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, even the website is retro...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Atlantis and a Rambouillet I really, really like, and Rivendell's been great in every transaction I've ever had with them, but I just can't see myself spending the money for a Quickbeam. I do ride SS--got an old Trek tourer I converted in my garage, and it's fun--but that just seems like too much money for a toy.
    Why didn't the Rambouillet seem like too much for a toy when I already had an Atlantis? Jeez, you sound just like my wife....

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For long day-rides and exploring the foothills, I love my Riv. Romulus....stable, comfortable, solid. For more demanding rides with friends--well, demanding for us-- I prefer my old Allez-- a little quicker and stiffer AND twitchier.

And Velo, having compared an Atlantis' ride to my (very similar to Rambouillet) Rom, there are differences enough to have both in your garage.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a very windy thread on the SS/FG forum......

New 2006 Rivendell Quickbeam Pics

D

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not into road bikes, but this is what a bike should be. Very basic with the parts that work. Always wondered why road bikes don't have "V" brakes, but apparantly they do. That front pannier though. Unless I was on a long tour where I would need the extra carrying capacity- I would never fit a pannier on the front. It affects handling as soon as any real weight goes in it, so the conventional rear rack would have made more sense.

Nice bike overral though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Not into road bikes, but this is what a bike should be. Very basic with the parts that work. Always wondered why road bikes don't have "V" brakes, but apparantly they do. That front pannier though. Unless I was on a long tour where I would need the extra carrying capacity- I would never fit a pannier on the front. It affects handling as soon as any real weight goes in it, so the conventional rear rack would have made more sense.

Nice bike overral though.
    There are neither "V" brakes nor front panniers on that bike.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not particularly into road bikes or drops, and I don't know what to call those brakes - but I do know art, and that's it.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For want of a better term, let's call the brakes "cantilevers". Seriously, this bike fills a utilitarian niche that the carbon/titanium/outa-my-way-sucker crowd has no use for, but real people do. Too bad the price of this sweetly crafted bike is relatively high for most people...maybe bikes like Surly present themselves and their talents at a more practical price point.

I sometimes wonder if Rivendell isn't cleverly filling an overlooked part of the market--practical, divergent people with $$ who want to be different. (I use and enjoy many Riv. products-- from beeswax to banana bags to my Romulus.) For sure, though, I wouldn't hit the road with the tailored bike bag in the picture...a bit too LL Bean for me.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    Rivendell Atlantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Co Motion Big A,l Klein Adroit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the bike, but the bag has got to go. I wonder why they choose to put a front rack braze-on on the this fork when they do not put them on the Atlantis. Go figure.
    Rivendell Alantis, Rivendell Rambouillet, Klein Adroit, Co Motion Big AL

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the bike was cool. Then I read the whole thread on the Single Speed forum and realize how foolish I was. Clearly, it's a piece of capitalistic junk.

(But I still like it!)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be thankful it isn't called the "FaisceauRapide", given Grant's penchant for using cutesey French names for his bikes.
    ---

San Francisco, California

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody on the Fixed Gear Forum called them "grampa" bikes because of the emphasis on rider comfort. I hate to admit it, but maybe thats why Rivendell's bikes appeal to me.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
    Somebody on the Fixed Gear Forum called them "grampa" bikes because of the emphasis on rider comfort. I hate to admit it, but maybe thats why Rivendell's bikes appeal to me.
    I can't imagine thinking of a one or two speed bike as comfortable. What's comfortable is being able to shift into a lower gear when that hill looms.
    Wag more, bark less

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker
    I can't imagine thinking of a one or two speed bike as comfortable. What's comfortable is being able to shift into a lower gear when that hill looms.
    What's a "hill?"

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    What's a "hill?"
    It rides like a viaduct or overpass but it is usually a lot bigger and can have trees growing on it.... or not. Some of the larger hills will have some snow on the top. It's that stuff that looks like the inside of your freezer.

Dogbait